Author Topic: Cumbria, but not the Lakes  (Read 1528 times)

Hedgetrimmer

Cumbria, but not the Lakes
« on: 10:35:38, 20/09/16 »
I feel privileged to have the Lake District within a short drive of home, but wondered if folks might be able to suggest or recommend some walks elsewhere in the county, maybe a walk in the Eden valley etc? Any favourites?

Islandplodder

• Veteran Member
Re: Cumbria, but not the Lakes
« Reply #1 on: 13:25:53, 20/09/16 »
Park at Dufton, go up by Great Rundale Beck to the tarn, make your way down by Maize Beck (there's a path of sorts most of the way) and a nice little limestone gorge then pick up the path to High cup and either the Pennine Way back to Dufton or drop down by High Cup Gill.  It's really good for flowers in the summer, I remember the way down by High Cup Gill being covered in birds eye primroses in June a couple of years ago.

Strider

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 14:05:39, 20/09/16 »
1. The west bank of the Eden south of Wetherill: Constantines Cells, Corby Castle etc.   Easy, if possibly muddy, walking

2. The source of the Eden at Mallerstang, between Wild Boar Fell and Mallerstang Edge, you could visit both on a long day or make 2 walks out of it

If you walk in those areas you'll pass two of the Eden Benchmark sculptures:  http://www.edenbenchmarks.org.uk/sculptures.htm

3. Cautley Spout in the Howgills, start from Sedburgh and come back over The Calf

4. The 'other' Borrowdale, south of Tebay between the M6 and A6.  Park near Low Borrowbridge and walk over Grayrigg Forest, Whinfell Common and Combs Hollow to High Barrow bridge, come back up the valley
Not all those who wander are lost

Oldtramp

« Reply #3 on: 23:32:04, 26/09/16 »
Cumbria Coastal Way --- Silverdale to Gretna Green will give you a completely different perspective on the county.  Duddon Estuary is magnificent.

altirando

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 23:50:55, 26/09/16 »
PICKING UP that second suggestion, the circuit of the Mallerstang is one of the best walks in the Pennines.  On both sides of the main valley there are huge stone statues like on Easter Island and there is an easy valley return trail.  Used to be a café by the roadhead.  The complete circuit is around 26 miles, perhaps groups could get a taxi back from the halfway point if they do not want to cope with the full circuit in one go.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 04:21:11, 27/09/16 »

Open the link, enlarge the map to the part of Cumbria that interests you, take your pick.
http://www.haroldstreet.org.uk/routes/map-area.php?user=ninthace
Solvitur Ambulando

Darlingtom

« Reply #6 on: 14:03:14, 11/10/16 »
I did a beautiful walk around Smardale a few years ago. Not too far from Kirkby Stephen, with a couple of spectacular viaducts on the way. Definitely "different" to your usual Cumbrian walking and with hardly a soul around! Of course, if you are over in that neck of the woods then a walk up Nine Standard Rigg is always worthwhile...

Hedgetrimmer

« Reply #7 on: 14:52:29, 11/10/16 »
Sorry, forgot I'd started this thread!  :-[

I guess what I'm really looking for is something not too far from Carlisle that I can do regularly for exercise and fresh air when I'm not walking the fells of the Lake District. It's 33 miles from me to Keswick, which is ok but gets expensive in fuel to do more than two or three times in a week, and also, I sometimes just fancy something a little easier at lower levels, not to mention a different kind of scenery. Peaceful riverside walks, woodlands, that kind of thing. Thanks to all for your suggestions though.

Strider, the Eden south of Weatherill is the one I've got my eye on at the moment as it's just a short hop from me - I'll check that out soon.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy