Author Topic: New boots leaking  (Read 12990 times)

fit old bird

• Veteran Member
Re: New boots leaking
« Reply #15 on: 09:56:47, 23/09/16 »
Thanks for the advice all! Can anyone recommend a lightweight set of leather boots then. I want them to feel like slippers when I walk  ;)

I have recently bought a pair of Berghaus Hillwalker 11 GTX leather. Haven't tested them in water yet other than wet grass, but they are very comfy. I need a wide fitting and these do feel like slippers, plenty of room to accommodate my bunions. I bought a pair half a size bigger than what I normally wear, so I can have different combinations of socks. £99 from Go Outdoors. I prefer leather.

Ilona

NANT

« Reply #16 on: 11:48:00, 01/10/16 »

Thanks for the advice all! Can anyone recommend a lightweight set of leather boots then. I want them to feel like slippers when I walk  ;)

Scarpa Terra GTX is a lightweight entry level option, quite a soft leather, but has a more relaxed heel fit.  

alewife

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 12:15:51, 01/10/16 »
My advice before you take them back is phone the shop and do any argueing before you get there. Speak to an organ grinder rather than the monkey, and mention trading standards if necessary. Get the names of the organ grinder you speak to and tell them when you will be coming in. (And maybe don't buy karrimoor but thats just my opinion).
Alewife

...beware of the bull!

Downdale

« Reply #18 on: 13:04:39, 01/10/16 »
Meindl Toronto GTX are a pretty lightweight boot, I've had mine for a year now and they've been great, very light, tough and comfortable.

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 13:25:12, 01/10/16 »
Can anyone recommend a lightweight set of leather boots then. I want them to feel like slippers when I walk  ;)

I have the Scarpa Cyrus Mid GTX, which I find lightweight and very comfortable

robrymond

« Reply #20 on: 04:50:53, 08/10/16 »
Thanks for the recommendations. I did a couple more tests in them using my new walking trousers and so far so good. I walked through a stream and also through wet fields again and had no issues so perhaps I got unlucky with it seeping down through the trousers I had on at the time. I've got some waterproofing spray if not as I do find them comfy.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 09:18:07, 08/10/16 »
Yes unfortunately the hole at the top is always an issue  ;)

Also if you rely on a gortex liner as many fabric boots do they rarely go to the top of the boots, so walking in long wet grass for example folks often complain their boots are leaking but it's just water getting through at the top part of the boot.  Gaiters really essential to ensure your feet stay dry as they cover the top part  O0
Where there's a will ...

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 09:57:19, 08/10/16 »
Yes unfortunately the hole at the top is always an issue  ;)

Also if you rely on a gortex liner as many fabric boots do they rarely go to the top of the boots, so walking in long wet grass for example folks often complain their boots are leaking but it's just water getting through at the top part of the boot.  Gaiters really essential to ensure your feet stay dry as they cover the top part  O0

I can confirm this does happen. Walking in light rain and wet grass I was wearing SealSkinz socks (these were a short pair; they make them longer now) over Brasher Hillmaster socks, with my trousers tucked into them. The exposed 3-4 inches of the inner socks got wet because I hadn't bothered to put my gaiters on, and the water worked its way down the inner socks inside the SealSkinz resulting in wet feet.

dave23

« Reply #23 on: 10:31:49, 08/10/16 »
Was about to ask if water had entered through the top of the boot then realised it had been covered... best wear gaiters in long grass, if the top of your sock gets wet it will just soak down into the boot. 

Stuffing wet boots with newspaper also helps to draw out the moisture.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 11:21:42, 08/10/16 »
Stuffing wet boots with newspaper also helps to draw out the moisture.

I find if I do that I can't get my feet in them  :D
Where there's a will ...

dave23

« Reply #25 on: 12:27:33, 08/10/16 »
I find if I do that I can't get my feet in them  :D

Same here, but I do find my boots dry quicker if I use the Daily Express  ;)

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: 13:15:16, 08/10/16 »
Wondering if anyone has tried Gore-Tex boot liners?

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: 14:03:36, 09/10/16 »
If the boots are letting in significant amounts of moisture in such a short time, then possibly they may have a manufacturing flaw.

There is no such thing as a fully waterproof boot, some boots are made to a higher specification than others, and are more watertight, but either way, a leather or fabric boot will eventually get damp after a certain time exposed to moisture.

Your issue sounds more promising, as a walk in damp grass should not instantly let in water inside the boot, leather of fabric.
There is no harm in returning them to the shop, and voicing your concerns, the boots may indeed have an issue, and it's best to draw the shop to a possible problem,sooner than later.

Do not be badgered or told by the staff that there is nothing wrong with the boots, if your not 100% happy with your purchase, then return them.

You may not receive a full refund since the boots have been worn outside, but you may get a sizeable discount on a more suitable pair.

Boots are manufactured to exacting standards, and occasionally some leave the factory with a defect, it's rare, but it can happen.

robrymond

« Reply #28 on: 05:54:41, 11/10/16 »
I went walking today and the grass was very wet due to dew. They did start to leak in after a while, so I've sprayed the Niktek spray on them now and will test them again today. If that is no good then they will  go back.

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #29 on: 10:48:43, 11/10/16 »
I would suggest you take them back straight away, as spraying some water repellant on them, will only work for a very short time.
The more you wear them outdoors, the less chance the retailer will reimburse you if the boots do indeed have a quality control issue.

I was always told by Crickhowell Adventure gear in Brecon many years ago, that they would have no problems accepting boots back from a customer, as long as the customer had worn them around the house for a few days.
As soon as the boots hit the mud or outdoors, then the chances of any replacements due to a manufacturing defect, was unlikely.

The boots in effect became second hand, and the chances of the retailer selling them on was virtually nil, and they were stuck with a pair of boots they had little chance of recouping their money.

Unless the boots have a serious manufacturing issue, then getting a refund will not be easy.

Clean the boots up as well as you can, and return them to the shop and explain your concerns and issues.
« Last Edit: 10:54:59, 11/10/16 by Dyffryn Ardudwy »

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy