Author Topic: Coledale Round  (Read 2406 times)

Hedgetrimmer

Coledale Round
« on: 21:07:01, 22/09/16 »
This is the first time I've explored this area. The plan on this occasion was really only to do Grisedale Pike and then see how I was doing for time and energy. I've had a couple of days of not feeling too great, so I wasn't sure I'd get far, but things went rather better than I expected. I parked the car in Braithwaite village, having found the road going up towards the Whinlatter Pass closed for repairs, but then found I could have gone up to the first car park  ::)  Never mind!

View of Causey Pike:

and Crag Hill:

Approaching Grisedale's summit:

Stopped briefly for a bit of lunch at the top, but didn't linger as the wind was a bit stiff and cold with it.
On the way down, you start to see that you are spoilt for choice with where to head. Hopegill Head caught my eye:

Not a big detour from the round, so I headed up, and was then tempted by a lovely looking ridge walk:

Unfortunately, in the wrong direction, and my pace being slow as it is, there wasn't time to do it. Something to bear in mind for another time! Looking back at Grisedale Pike:

Heading down on the way to Crag Hill, paths leading everywhere, you are really spoilt for choice of where to go:

Tried a few shots to capture the drops from Crag Hill, but don't think I managed it. Knott Rigg, Robinson etc:

The path down to Sail is quite exposed in places, with a bit of minor scrambling involved, which added to the enjoyment. Then, descending from Sail, the zig-zags down to Causey Pike:

I debated whether to go to the top, but was getting a bit tired by this time, so decided not to push my luck. Skipped all the tops on the way back to Braithwaite, Outerside etc, but still thoroughly enjoyed the day. That's quite a chunk extra distance on anything I've done so far since getting back into the fell walking, and I quite surprised myself that I managed it. The problem has been chest pains if I push myself too hard on the ascents, but each time I go out, things seem to be noticeably improved - just have to pace myself carefully but my fitness is obviously getting better!  :)

Glyno

• Veteran Member
Re: Coledale Round
« Reply #1 on: 21:19:38, 22/09/16 »
Smashing photos Hedgetrimmer!

The great thing about The Coledale Round is that you have plenty of scope to cut it short, or to extend it if you're feeling energetic.

domtheone

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 21:33:14, 22/09/16 »
Cracking photos. O0

Was a bit confused with the order at first but then I realised that you must have done it the opposite way around to what I did ;D
If they don't like you going out, they'll love you coming in!

*Money back guarantee does not cover for **** weather!

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 22:11:57, 22/09/16 »
Lovely pics, it is a top walk. O0

Hedgetrimmer

« Reply #4 on: 22:28:02, 22/09/16 »

The great thing about The Coledale Round is that you have plenty of scope to cut it short, or to extend it if you're feeling energetic.

For someone a bit fitter than myself, the possibilities seem endless. A few years ago, I came up Whiteless Pike, Wandope, and on up to Grasmoor, and that has always been one of my fondest Lake District memories, so it was great to be up in this region again. I love the sense of wide open space between all the tops up there, and still with fabulous views over every ridge and from every summit. But I've never approached from the Coledale side before, so it was nice to get around to coming up that way at last.

Thank you folks for the comments on the photos again, but it's not me - it's the scenery!

Hedgetrimmer

« Reply #5 on: 22:49:14, 22/09/16 »

Was a bit confused with the order at first but then I realised that you must have done it the opposite way around to what I did ;D

You mean you did it in the wrong direction?!  :o  Isn't that unlucky?  :D ;D

domtheone

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 08:11:24, 23/09/16 »

You mean you did it in the wrong direction?!  :o  Isn't that unlucky?  :D ;D

;D

I followed the book so it must have been you going the wrong way. :D
If they don't like you going out, they'll love you coming in!

*Money back guarantee does not cover for **** weather!

adalard

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 09:11:16, 23/09/16 »
Fantastic pictures as usual, Henry  O0 

I was around there in August but it was quite hazy so I didn't get quite the tremendous views that you did... I did note that tempting ridge from Hopegill Head myself though. It looks like a cracking walk.

Hedgetrimmer

« Reply #8 on: 13:34:52, 23/09/16 »
Fantastic pictures as usual, Henry  O0 

I was around there in August but it was quite hazy so I didn't get quite the tremendous views that you did... I did note that tempting ridge from Hopegill Head myself though. It looks like a cracking walk.

Henry?  ???

Henry Hedgetrimmer! Yes, I like that, has a ring to it!  ;D

A lady I spoke to at the top of Hopegill told me she thought that ridge was one of the best walks in the entire Lake District, as you have the views on either side for it's whole length.

henryb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 20:47:36, 23/09/16 »
Great report and photos Hedgetrimmer. Grisedale Pike - would you need a head for heights for the ridge walk? Is the ridge narrow or exposed? I've done Barrow, Outerside, Causey Pike and Scar crags in that region; the views across Newlands would be one of my favorites O0

Hedgetrimmer

« Reply #10 on: 21:37:05, 23/09/16 »
It didn't feel especially exposed, no. If you look at my photo of the summit approach, you can see a couple of spots where there is a mild scramble - no, that's too strong a word; I used a hand to steady myself maybe a couple of times, or a trekking pole would probably do the job (I didn't use mine) - but it's fairly wide so that you can pick your footing. You're on bedrock rather than a path in places, but not steeply angled slabs, almost like natural steps. The most exposed part of the walk was descending Crag Hill to Sail, where you do feel the drop off to the right, especially on the more pronounced scrambles here, and the path is narrow and steep in places.

adalard

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 13:12:39, 24/09/16 »
Henry?  ???

Henry Hedgetrimmer! Yes, I like that, has a ring to it!  ;D

Oops, sorry! Not sure where that came from - clearly my brain woke up some hours after the rest of me yesterday!  ::)

altirando

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 15:56:12, 24/09/16 »
HONESTLY CAN'T IMAGINE anyone having problems on this walk.  Even dear old Wainwright seemed to manage it quite well.  Nothing whatsoever like Crib Goch.  Would make a great weekend including the Newlands Round on the next day - your plan for Easter or Whitsun next year?

- Dave -

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 11:23:06, 26/09/16 »
The ridge walk from Hopegill Head to Whiteside is a superb route - not difficult or exposed in any shape or form. Just truly enjoyable walking territory
I'm on the internet!

Check out my blog here:

http://allthegearbutnoidea.blogspot.co.uk

214/214 Wainwrights

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy