Author Topic: Leather or fabric?  (Read 3396 times)

TonyJ

Leather or fabric?
« on: 16:22:35, 28/09/16 »
Looking to change my boots again as my last pair (leather pair from mountain range), have cracked and are now leaking. This seems to be the weakness with leather boots creasing then cracking behind the toe area, however I do prefer them  over fabric boots.

Do fabric boots match the performance of leather for keeping your feet dry and durability, and is there a way to reduce the the cracking of the leather boots? I  have had a pair of fabric Brasher boots in the past (many years ago), they were light and were Waterproof until the gortex  liner started leaking. I have also used Scarpa leather boots and got about 2-3 years out of them until they started cracking behind the toe area. I am leaning towards leather boots possibly Altberg Malham but concerned how long they will last. Is this a good choice for mainly low level walking (at the moment)? Or are there better fabric boots?

Any tips of reducing the he cracking if I do get the leather boots? I do clean my boots wit Nikwax leather cleaner and then use a Nikwax waterproofer.

pauldawes

• Veteran Member
Re: Leather or fabric?
« Reply #1 on: 16:43:15, 28/09/16 »
I've not used any fabric boot for years...but when I did got as long out of them as any leather boot I've used recently. But until last year or so, was doing about 30 miles a week in them, so sole units tended to be completely knackered at around 18 month mark however good condition of rest of boot was.

I think a large part of minimising cracking in leather boots is to clean them, and treat them after practically every walk.

The Altberg Malham is a fine boot.

If I went for them (no chance...too expensive for walking I do now)...I'd use Ledergris after every outing ("little and often" is the motto). Doing that, I'd certainly be pretty confident of them lasting more than 2 years UNLESS, of course, you're doing big mile-age.

TonyJ

« Reply #2 on: 16:51:30, 28/09/16 »
Cheers Paul, I'm leaning towards Altberg as I can also have the soles replaced if they wear out as long as the uppers remain decent. That also begs the question are there any fabric boots that can be resoled? I'm currently walking just over 20 miles a week but hoping to increase. 

youradvocate

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 16:54:08, 28/09/16 »
I've just bought a pair of Salomon Quest 2 boots and to date I have only used them once. I was chatting to a sales person in my local shop last week, about boots in general and how good or bad their brands of boots are at keeping keep feet dry. I told the sales person that I had sent a pair of fabric/leather Keene boots back to another shop recently because they leaked so badly and got my money back. The sales person then queried if they were a pair of Salomon Quests, 'a lot of these come back to us because of leaks'. The poor sales assistant visibly winced in embarrassment when I mentioned I had purchased such a pair from this shop only a few days earlier!

It doesn't bother me (at the moment) because the test for my pair of Quests will come when I use them for the first time in rain. This will be possibly be as from the 8th October when I go to the Malham meet up. If it rains, or if I have to walk though any wet areas, I will then, hopefully, know for sure if I have purchased a dry or a wet pair? I should be walking from Gatwick airport on the Sussex Border Path at this very moment through to Saturday, but all my plans have fallen through due to a family illness problem. If I'm lucky I might get away from tomorrow, just not sure yet.

youradvocate

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 16:56:28, 28/09/16 »
I've been told when I purchased my Salomon Quests that they can be resoled. True or not?

pauldawes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 18:12:06, 28/09/16 »
I've been told when I purchased my Salomon Quests that they can be resoled. True or not?

No expert, but can't see any reason why you couldn't.

Isn't outer sole often just replaced? In that case it would be nature and thickness of mid sole that would determine how often boot could be resoled...you'd lose a bit of the mid sole each time, both in taking outer sole off, and in cleaning midsole to take new outer.

In doing a complete sole replacement, again can't see that it really makes any difference whether boot is fabric or leather...what would matter is whether upper was in good enough condition to take old sole unit off without damaging the upper.

Looking at Altberg's website see they resole their boots themselves sometimes...sometimes as many as 10 times! (The only boot I ever had re-soled was a pair of Brasher Sper-ites...they took one re-soling...before breaking up completely.)

« Last Edit: 18:37:47, 28/09/16 by pauldawes »

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 18:41:14, 28/09/16 »
Any tips of reducing the he cracking if I do get the leather boots? I do clean my boots wit Nikwax leather cleaner and then use a Nikwax waterproofer.

In my experience Nikwax waterproofing products have the very short term effect of making the water bead off your boots but do absolutely nothing to feed, condition and replace the oils in the leather and seem to simply wash away very quickly on contact with water of any kind. For better performance and longer lasting results you need to be using a wax on the leather.

If leather is constantly going through a wet/dry cycle, hardening will eventually occur and flex cracking across the joint is inevitable. However, the time before this hardening/cracking occurs can be extended by regular use of Leder-Gris Wax (green label) and in more arduous conditions occasional use of Leder-Gris Xtreme (red label).

http://www.altberg.co.uk/leder-gris/bootcare/

As already posted invest in some of Altberg's Leder Gris Original Wax Oil Neutral/Clear. Apply multiple thin coats and brush well in between coats. This will feed and nourish the leather and replenish any natural oils which have been lost. After that initial application a quick clean after each walk and apply another thin coat of Leder Gris and you will find your boots will last far longer.

http://www.altberg.co.uk/leder-gris/product/leder-gris-original/

If you're considering Altberg's Malham I would suggest that you also try the Fremington. Both boots are very similar in terms of their intended use but made on different lasts which have surprisingly different fits. The Fremington is made from a thicker Anfibio 2.0-2.2mm, full grain, water repellent leather whilst the Malham is made from a thinner Nappone 1.6-1.8mm, soft, supple, full grain, water repellent, lightweight leather.

The bottom line with boots is that fit and comfort is everything so it really depends on which fits and feel the most comfortable to you when you try them on.

http://www.altberg.co.uk/product/the-malham-mens-boot-mto/

http://www.altberg.co.uk/product/the-fremington-mens-boot-mto/

If you're not too far away Whalley Warm & Dry still have the Fremington on special offer @ £119 and are well worth a visit http://www.whalleyoutdoor.co.uk/product/altberg-fremington/
« Last Edit: 18:55:26, 28/09/16 by kinkyboots »

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 18:53:16, 28/09/16 »
In my recollection, it takes considerable time for a leather constructed boot to crack or develop wear related problems, and fabric boots will not offer the same protection as high quality leather footwear.
My original Brasher Hillmasters i had in the 1980s, took quite a few year's until the leather uppers showed significant wear, resulting in the need for replacements.
I used to get involved with quite a few well established Challenge Events held in and around South Wales and across the bridge in Shropshire and Somerset and other counties closer to the Welsh borders.
I found that if one carefully dried the boots,after cleaning off all the mud with luke warm water, then the leather uppers would last a significant time.
Never force dry your leather boots, by placing them in a hot room or next to a radiator, and fill them with newspaper, and give them plenty of time to dry, naturally, in a cool environment.

All i used was quality boot polish, and never bothered with Nikwax or similar products, as the leather was designed to breathe naturally,and covering them with wax or such like, did not last that long, in really damp conditions.

Some leather boots are manufactured to higher standards than others, but after care is what usually results in longevity.

Mistreat your footwear, and they will not last very long, and next time your in Snowdonia, pay a visit to the Pen Y Gwyrydd hotel, as leather hobnailed boots worn on the famous 1953 Successful Everest expedition are on display.

Its the aftercare of the leather that will result in how long they will last, but all boots that receive regular use, will eventually wear out,and need replacing.

TonyJ

« Reply #8 on: 19:25:17, 28/09/16 »
Many thanks for the fantastic information, im not going to rush the decision as I want to get the best boots for me. A visit to Whalley warm & dry seems to the answer to get measured and the right boots. Cheers Tony

wobblyknees

« Reply #9 on: 09:43:40, 29/09/16 »
Mink oil or any good wax such as leder gris or Meindl sports wax will extend the life of leather boots by preventing leather "starvation".

I never used Nikwax on leather boots. Can't see the logic in using a water based product on leather.

The key to successful resoling is to do it before the soles deteriorate so much as to make the cobbler's job almost impossible. No point in bringing them for repair when the soles almost at the point of disintegration.

Downdale

« Reply #10 on: 13:34:37, 29/09/16 »
If you're considering fabric/synthetic the Adidas Terrex swift R is quite a good boot.
It's got a full Goretex liner, a very good Continental outsole and a quick lace system that's really easy to use with gloves.
It's a bit of a left field choice but the specs make it worth a punt.
I've personally had Adidas outdoor footwear in the past, they've always been well made, effective, durable and fit for task.
I hope this helps.

https://www.sportsshoes.com/product/adi7480/adidas-terrex-fast-r-mid-gtx-walking-shoes-~-aw16/ [nofollow]
« Last Edit: 13:37:50, 29/09/16 by Downdale »

TonyJ

« Reply #11 on: 20:00:40, 29/09/16 »
Booked an appointment at Whalley Warm and dry for the weekend, to have the old feet measured. Will hopefully come away with a new pair of boots.  O0

Murphy

« Reply #12 on: 20:38:35, 29/09/16 »
I wouldn't go anywhere else.....brilliant place for Boots.

breakfastshow

« Reply #13 on: 01:09:17, 30/09/16 »
Two different people with the same type of footwear & same amount of use can experience very different outcomes in terms of the product's durability and performance.

Peter

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 10:00:17, 30/09/16 »
I've tried both fabric and leather, and prefer leather.
You refer to creasing. Two things occur to me, are your boots too long? Or are the soles not stiff enough?
I have Zamberlan boots and use their own cream. No problems with the leather. Not all leather is the same, it comes in various thickness's according to the quality and cost.
Cleaning and feeding the leather is important.
Since a good pair of boots is often over £150 it is well worth the effort.
http://www.lancashiresportsrepairs.co.uk
They do a resole and a rebuild service.
Peter
sometimes I fall off the learning curve....
Join: Yorkshire Dales Walking Buddies
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1783012625307

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy