Author Topic: Black Mountain .. Historic Herefordshire county top  (Read 1653 times)

keithie

Anyone have any suggestions for the easiest way to 'bag' Black Mountain (on the Hereford / Powys border) ...I was assuming 'just walk up from Hay bluff' but other folk may know much more.

(Having now 'bagged' most of the 20 highest historic county tops in England I can see that there's some excellent trips to be made with far more to do and see than just bagging ...but for now I'll finish this project before starting on some proper adventures!)

Any advice on easiest way to bag Black Mountain would be much appreciated

Cheers
Keith

Hedgetrimmer

Re: Black Mountain .. Historic Herefordshire county top
« Reply #1 on: 20:05:21, 28/09/16 »

I can see that there's some excellent trips to be made with far more to do and see than just bagging ...but for now I'll finish this project before starting on some proper adventures!

Sorry Keithie, can't help with your question, but can I just say with regards to the above quote, Eric Shipton would have been proud! (and I quite agree with you.)

keithie

« Reply #2 on: 21:12:09, 28/09/16 »
Lol Hedgetrimmer ..thanks .. I've read a bit of /about Shipton ....probably the only thing we have in common is that neither of us would be picked to lead an assault on Everest....although almost oblivious individuality and spirit of adventure probably would apply in my case! I think Eric Newby is more the type I aspire to (I'm too dull to be a John Muir!) though dodgy heart, kidney transplant, replaced hip and plenty of other bleats make a short walk pretty much anywhere a bit of an Everest for me ! ... Taking some years in life to explore and relish the wilder parts of one's country does seem like time well spent though :)

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 21:15:22, 28/09/16 »
That's as good as any.  Follow Offa's Dyke from Hay Bluff ...
Where there's a will ...

altirando

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 23:51:32, 28/09/16 »
Speaking from memory/ it is possible to do a sort of horseshoe shape walk along the entire ridge.  That is if we are talking about the Black MountainS, not black mountain which is somewhere different.  And talking about Erics, the main valley was once the home of Eric Gill, the designer of the well know Gill typeface.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 06:50:37, 29/09/16 »
Given that he mentions Hay Bluff he means Black Mountain, which is the highest point on the ridge from Hay Bluff.
Where there's a will ...

Skip

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 10:45:42, 29/09/16 »
... Having now 'bagged' most of the 20 highest historic county tops in England ...
I'd be interested to know which ones you've done.

In fact, County Tops might make an interesting thread?

I have started a new thread - maybe you will post a list of the ones you've done?

I've walked up 18 of the 49 Historic English County Tops and two of the 13 Welsh ones. My list is in the new thread.
Skip

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 10:53:14, 29/09/16 »
(Having now 'bagged' most of the 20 highest historic county tops in England I can see that there's some excellent trips to be made with far more to do and see than just bagging ...but for now I'll finish this project before starting on some proper adventures!)
Cheers
Keith

Havn't recently Bagged Brown Willy in the company of a Dalmation?
BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy