Author Topic: Travelling for day walks  (Read 9536 times)

Glyno

• Veteran Member
Re: Travelling for day walks
« Reply #15 on: 19:29:50, 01/10/16 »
I drive into Snowdonia at least once a week, Llanberis being 65 miles from home.
I used to go to the Lakes weekly for day walks but now tend to go every 3 or 4 weeks and have a couple of nights stopover.

...when leaving Snowdonia after a long day's walking, I try to get a large, strong coffee from the nearest place available to drink on the drive home.

pleb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 21:59:19, 01/10/16 »
2 hours or so
bit longer if training it up to Appleby or somewhere.
Am I the only public transport walker ever? :-\
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

Black Dog

« Reply #17 on: 01:00:31, 02/10/16 »
The fact is that the most dangerous time of any walking/climbing/mountaineering day is the drive home when everyone is tired!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The same is true of caving.  Statistically, you are many times more likely to be killed on the journey to and from the cave than you are in the cave itself.

clyoung

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 09:44:16, 02/10/16 »
We frequently go to the Brecon Beacons National Park, with journeys of 1 1/4 to 1 3/4 hours. 2 hours seems to be a bit of a psychologic barrier, I think we'll have to overnight somewhere to do the westernmost peaks of Mynydd Du. We walked up to Fan Hir and Fan Brycheiniog on our way to a holiday in Pembrokeshire.

We have done a weekend break in Llanberis, which was about a 5 hour drive and I'm hoping we might manage some more up that way but even that is a challenge. More likely if my husband is driving as he's happier driving longer distances in one go than me.

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 17:38:00, 02/10/16 »
Ive occasionally driven from my home in North Wales up to Hadrians Wall in Northumberland, in a day, had a gentle exploration of the footpaths there and about, and arrived home in Dyffryn well and truly knackered, but with some amazing piccies to enjoy on my computer.

The furthest ive ever driven in a single day, was to Barrow in Furness and back, but that was a heck of a journey, and was more of a trip to collect a very fragile and rare item, that i simply could not bare travelling by post, but it did involve a bit of walking to locate the premises, up a remote country lane outside Barrow, Sat/Nav was a vital accessory that day i remember.

If the scenery and walk justify a long journey, i usually reserve it for the height of summer, when daylight hours are long, and ensure i charge my energy reserves with loads of early nights before my adventure.

Barrow and Furness i remember, was a journey a bit too far, and it took me nearly a whole week to return to normal.

sparnel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 18:33:44, 02/10/16 »
Well, don't leave us in suspense.........what was the very rare and fragile item?

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 18:46:43, 02/10/16 »
I saw a frightfully rare Drovers licence for sale.
Back in the early 19C and 18C, a Drover who took the beasts to market, from North Wales, West Wales, Northumberland and many parts of Scotland, had to be licenced by the local magistrates.
Every Drover had to be over thirty years of age, married and a homeowner, due to the immense trust given to them by the owners of the animals on their way to the markets in Kent and the SE of England.

Their licence to practice the Droving trade, was a small metal badge that was worn on their right arm, held on by leather buckles, and i manage to locate this incredibly rare item, just outside Barrow in Furness.

No amount of trust in the couriers or Royal Mail would i allow it to be sent by post, so i went up by car to collect it.

I was very glad i did, because it was in a very fragile state, and being well over two hundred years old, should be in a museum, but it currently sits in a display case in my living room.

Such a rare find, that i think i have more chance of picking up a winning lottery ticket on the ground, than buying another.

There are certain items, that are so rare, that no amount of persuasion would allow the use of the Royal mail to deliver them,

sparnel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 19:44:59, 02/10/16 »
Well that was really interesting - thanks for the info!

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 21:34:09, 02/10/16 »
It would seem the comfort zone seems to be 2 hours there/2 hours back for a day walk then.  Maybe a bit longer for a really special walk.  Ecky-thump, I have to travel for nearly an hour just to get to a local walk that has any sort of gradient  :'(

I'd not thought about travel in terms of miles, as such.  Though yes, cost of petrol (and being able to afford it versus putting food on the table!) does factor in to my workings out.

I am having a little chuckle to myself that everyone hates the travelling back after the walk and will happily stay overnight the day before the walk and still travel back after the walk  :D   I think my perfect idea would be travel Friday after work, stop over, walk Saturday, stop over, travel home Sunday after a short leg-stretcher.  Ha, in an ideal world I wouldn't work Saturdays either  >:(   

MWM - I can't imagine there are many mountain huts in some of the areas I walk (Norfolk being the area I was looking at and what sparked this topic after discovering it will take me FOUR HOURS to drive there) - it's only about 30 miles away as the crow flies  :o    Your hard sell isn't working on me I'm afraid  :-\

... oh, DA, I have to say that I'm disappointed that your rare and fragile item wasn't a Thommen Altimeter  ;)   Interesting story though, all the same, thanks for sharing  O0

Haggiseater

« Reply #24 on: 23:17:10, 02/10/16 »
The next question is, have you chosen where to live primarily because of its nearness to hillwalking country?

Yes, this influenced my house move to North Wales. I wanted the easy access to the hills from my home and the views of the uplands on my journey to and from work.
I am usually happy to travel up to an hour and a half for a day walk. Luckily nearly all of Snowdonia and surrounding areas are within that distance.

One thing I've found helpful is leaving a newspaper unread in my car for my return. I make myself read it before driving off for home otherwise I find I drive too fast and lose concentration if I start my return journey straight away !

Tomo

« Reply #25 on: 07:00:06, 03/10/16 »
Home to Snowdonia is about 3:30hrs or there abouts, depending on how many tractors/ancient landrovers I get stuck behind once past Shewsbury. I usually leave around 5am so the journey up is quiet and pretty easy. Coming home is another matter but I usually treat myself to a curry and a few beers when I get back so the thought of that keeps me going!

Glyno

• Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: 07:46:41, 03/10/16 »

... oh, DA, I have to say that I'm disappointed that your rare and fragile item wasn't a Thommen Altimeter  ;)   Interesting story though, all the same, thanks for sharing  O0

Ha ha, I was thinking that also ;)

phil1960

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: 13:24:18, 03/10/16 »
I don't like long drives for a day walk, I've done about 2 hours for mid Wales or Shropshire but not often. The Brecon Beacons are on my doorstep so I'm lucky, but Snowdonia always means a long weekend or longer stay.
Touching from a distance, further all the time.

- Dave -

• Veteran Member
« Reply #28 on: 13:31:09, 03/10/16 »
I'll quite happily drive 3 hours each way for a day out. That time will get me to Snowdonia, the Lakes, the Peaks and the Yorkshire Dales so pretty spoiled for choice
I'm on the internet!

Check out my blog here:

http://allthegearbutnoidea.blogspot.co.uk

214/214 Wainwrights

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #29 on: 18:42:53, 03/10/16 »
....  have you chosen where to live primarily because of its nearness to hillwalking country?

No  >:(   :(   I live where I do because I have all my life and I work locally.  I couldn't be much further from any hillwalking country if I tried  :'( :tickedoff:

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy