Author Topic: John o Groats Trail  (Read 632 times)

John o Groats Trail
« on: 00:04:17, 04/10/16 »
New 145 mile trail from Inverness to John o Groats being developed according to this    

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
Re: John o Groats Trail
« Reply #1 on: 21:39:30, 04/10/16 »
That will be one hellish remote and exposed trail.
I visited John O Groats for the first time, a few weeks ago, and the further one travels beyond Inverness, the bleaker the countryside.
Only the small town of Wick lies between Inverness and John O Groats, and not much in between, and most of it is in the teeth of the winter storms.

It will be a trail designed for the really experienced walker, as accommodation after Inverness will be touch and go.

Also, its a trail that will be very demanding in winter.

Having seen the countryside beyond Inverness and towards John O Groats, i can honestly say, it will be a tough challenge.

Re: John o Groats Trail
« Reply #2 on: 09:17:09, 05/10/16 »
I cycled LEJOG a few years ago and, actually, the coast has quite a few villages.  Nothing particularly big, but there are quite a few hotels and b&bs in the area and I seem to remember a few welcoming pubs (some more clearly than others).  The coastline was beautiful and, in place, spectacular, though quite different to the West coast.  Also, this corner of Scotland seems to miss quite a lot of the more extreme weather of the west coast, though I agree that the landscape suggests that it gets its fair share!