Author Topic: How often do you find farmers obstruct paths?  (Read 7558 times)

Peter

• Veteran Member
Re: How often do you find farmers obstruct paths?
« Reply #30 on: 15:22:59, 24/10/16 »
I came across this last week, the farmer had clearly done his best to obstruct, snapped finger posts all but one pointing away from his land, when I reached the farm its self I crossed the edge of the yard, this was still on the right of way footpath, then all of a sudden two farm/guard dogs appeared form nowhere, they came hurtling across the yard barking growing etc I just managed to make it through the gate, the way the where bouncing off the gate and fence I have no doubt that I'd have been attacked by these dogs.

Which is an offence. Keeping dangerous dogs.  >:(
Peter
sometimes I fall off the learning curve....
Join: Yorkshire Dales Walking Buddies
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1783012625307

Andies

• Veteran Member
« Reply #31 on: 15:40:01, 24/10/16 »
I came across this last week, the farmer had clearly done his best to obstruct, snapped finger posts all but one pointing away from his land, when I reached the farm its self I crossed the edge of the yard, this was still on the right of way footpath, then all of a sudden two farm/guard dogs appeared form nowhere, they came hurtling across the yard barking growing etc I just managed to make it through the gate, the way the where bouncing off the gate and fence I have no doubt that I'd have been attacked by these dogs.

I hope you reported it to the police. I believe the law treats the fear of being bitten as the same as your actually being bitten.

Someone else might not make it through the gate in time. Not many days pass without some horrible story of a dog attack, often on children who are less able to withstand an attack  :-\

Doddy

« Reply #32 on: 18:07:11, 24/10/16 »
+1 for Andies comment.
On the Pennine Way in a farmyard on the walk I was nipped by a dog, one of three sheepdogs that surrounded me. I knocked on the Farm door; the guy said it couldn't have been one of mine they never bother anybody. I said do I look like someone who would inflict a wound and make all this up. Cue half mile later for cleaning session on leg and antiseptic.
When I got to civilisation I reported it to the police.Yes it could have been on a child.

robrymond

« Reply #33 on: 05:24:37, 25/10/16 »
I had what I thought was going to be an angry dog barking as i approached the yard on Saturday. I had my GSD with me but I thought sod it...I'll carry on. Sometimes they sense fear and you just need to go on through. Then another dog appeared and they came over and thankfully just sniffed each others backsides. One sheepdog stood back and snarled but didn't come near and a young girl came out and said 'Hello' and was calling the dogs back, so it was all quite ammicable in the end. But there certainly is a worry before that something could happen. I think I actually felt safer having a dog with me than if I was alone. The dog can fight for me  ;)

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #34 on: 08:25:58, 25/10/16 »
I hope you reported it to the police. I believe the law treats the fear of being bitten as the same as your actually being bitten.

Quite right.  Any dog is dangerously out of control if:

it injures a person, or
 it behaves in a way that makes a person worried that it might injure them.
Where there's a will ...

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #35 on: 22:43:04, 29/10/16 »
Quite right.  Any dog is dangerously out of control if:

it behaves in a way that makes a person worried that it might injure them.

which is pretty ridiculous as some people only have to see a dog coming towards them to fear being bitten
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #36 on: 19:54:01, 01/11/16 »
I've come across a few clearly obstructed paths this year.  One in particular on Bodmin moor where the landowner has clearly obstructed the same footpath at three different points, with barbed wire.  After a short internet search I found the official county counsel rights of way map, complete with excellent links on what to do to put in a official complaint.   So I did exactly that. :)

https://map.cornwall.gov.uk/website/ccmap/?zoomlevel=4&xcoord=237832&ycoord=60515&wsName=ccmap&layerName=Public%20Rights%20of%20Way

I've looked at a few other County maps since and they all seem to vary in format, which is a shame.  But a least we have a clear and simple route to post a complaint hear in Cornwall.

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #37 on: 19:54:48, 01/11/16 »
double post, wish the quote and modify buttons were further apart, I seem to have a habit of clicking the wrong one.

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #38 on: 09:59:29, 03/11/16 »
  One in particular on Bodmin moor where the landowner has clearly obstructed the same footpath at three different points, with barbed wire.  After a short internet search I found the official county counsel rights of way map, complete with excellent links on what to do to put in a official complaint.   

I was admiring the view on Brown Willy a few weeks ago and got talking to a regular walker in that area, he was telling me about one of his favourite routes onto the moor and it was been obstructed in a similar way, probably the same one. 

Well done for reporting it.
BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #39 on: 15:28:40, 03/11/16 »

I was admiring the view on Brown Willy a few weeks ago and got talking to a regular walker in that area, he was telling me about one of his favourite routes onto the moor and it was been obstructed in a similar way, probably the same one. 

Well done for reporting it.

Approaching Brown Willy from the South there are  rights of way across Roughlands Farm. These are the ones I have found to be obstructed.  It's clearly deliberate.
« Last Edit: 15:33:55, 03/11/16 by BuzyG »

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy