Author Topic: A fine weekend in the Dales.  (Read 5394 times)

alewife

• Veteran Member
A fine weekend in the Dales.
« on: 13:12:59, 12/10/16 »
Based around Malham, we had an awesome weekend of walking and talking with a tiny scramble for some and lots of laughs (as always). Plus of course a few bevvies. All in all a fun weekend. As trip reports go, these are just brief and hopefully others will elaborate on any details I’ve missed.

Day 1, Friday; answering the role call were Nod2,Peter and Scally, Youradvocate, Norfolk Boy,Devondave and myself. (Eek, hope I haven’t missed anyone). We met at Austwick and went up past Robin Proctor scar, and the Norber erratics. Peter told us the story of Robin Proctor who got drunk, took the wrong horse which didn’t know where he lived and died on the hills for his pains. Apparently, untrue but you just never know with these tales. With great views down into Crummackdale and of some well known pointy bit in the distance, the weather just about helf off for pretty much the entire day -just one cheeky bit of rain which had us all donning the waterproofs before it then stopped. Scally managed to get covered in sheep poo so got bathed in the sheepwash at the end of the walk (Scally is a dog!). I think the total was about 7 or 8 miles. Excellent day, excellent company.

Day2, Saturday ; Nod2,Peter and Scally,Youradvocate, Norfolk Boy, Mountaingirl , Jontea and me. We met at the information centre and made our way past Janet Foss where numerous twitchers awaited the arrival of a kingfisher. We didn’t see the bird but the waterfall was nice to see. From there we headed for Gordale scar where some of the group decided to take the high road and scramble up to the top. I was just a bit tempted but decided on the alternative walk so we meat up at the top via a more grassy route. The next stop was a lunch break at Malham Tarn, where amazingly Scally (the dog….remember?) was more interested in Jontea throwing the ball than in food. We decided not to go around the Tarn but headed off to the limestone paving above Malham Cove, and then after down to the cove itself, where we watched the climbers for a while, speculating on their survival prospects if they fell!! After the rather macabre 5 minutes we made our way back to Malham, and a few drinkies in the Lister inn. Another great day, maybe 7 miles, and no rain.

Day 3, Sunday; Nod2,Peter and Scally,Youradvocate, Norfolk Boy, Mountaingirl , Pleb and me. We met up in Settle and went up Constitution hill towarrendale Knotts and attermire scar. Skirting around and up we visited Victoria cave, and another small cave which I have forgotten the name of. Winskill and Cattrigg force. Then a brief stop for refreshment at the pub in Stainforth, where the friendly landlord entertained us with his cheery banter .  NOT. It appeared we had stumbled on a bit of a domestic, and us all asking for teas and coffees didn’t seem to help the situation :( . After tearing ourselves away from the pub we stood on the river bridge waiting for the salmon, but we were either too early or too late and didn’t see any.Then visited the Hoffman limestone kiln which is huge and very interesting.Back to Settle via the river and Stackhouse. Weather was good, we covered about 7 or 8 miles and I think we all enjoyed it.

So thank you all for your fab company, and especially to Peter for his local knowledge. Hope we might be able to do another in this area next year . Hoping folks will post up some piccies and comments. O0
Alewife

...beware of the bull!

Peter

• Veteran Member
Re: A fine weekend in the Dales.
« Reply #1 on: 13:37:19, 12/10/16 »
Just a couple of minor amendments.
Friday was 8 1/2 miles, Saturday was nearly 9 miles and Sunday was 8 miles.  :)    
I didn't take many photos, partly because I've taken so many of the area before. Partly because I didn't have the energy    :-[
What I did take I will upload asap.
Peter
sometimes I fall off the learning curve....
Join: Yorkshire Dales Walking Buddies
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1783012625307

domtheone

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 21:20:27, 12/10/16 »
Nice one Deb. O0

Look forward to the photos.
If they don't like you going out, they'll love you coming in!

*Money back guarantee does not cover for **** weather!

nod2

« Reply #3 on: 19:53:43, 13/10/16 »
Great TR Deb  O0
Look forward to next time

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 22:55:53, 13/10/16 »
Good trip report alewife  O0   Sounds like I missed a great meet  :'(

C'mon folks, get them piccies posted  :D

DevonDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 08:14:28, 14/10/16 »
I will as soon as I get back home.  At the moment I'm still enjoying life in the Dales!

DevonDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 13:58:19, 16/10/16 »
I arrived back home yesterday from another great holiday in the Yorkshire Dales and have been busy today downloading all the photos.  These are the ones I took on the Forum Meet on Friday 7th October, when we walked through some fantastic limestone scenery to Crummackdale.  I think I have correctly annotated them, but no doubt Peter will be able to correct me if I have got any wrong.

The view from the top of Robin Proctor's Scar.

Just before the short climb up to the Norber erratics.

One of the Norber erratics.

Heading towards Crummackdale.

A distant view of Pen-y-Ghent.

Peter & his dog Scally leading the way into Crummackdale.

Crummackdale.

The climb up to Beggar's Stile.

The view looking back from Beggar's Stile.

alewife and Peter climbing up the other side of Beggar's Stile.

Scally found an old sheep's jawbone and carried it with her for most of the walk.

Moughton

The old sheep dip.

Once again, thanks to alewife for organising the meet and Peter for leading the walks.  Unfortunately I was unable to make it for Saturday's & Sunday's walks but Friday's walk was most enjoyable and it was good to put faces to a few of the names.

alewife

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 15:02:45, 16/10/16 »
Thanks for posting those DD, it was nice to meet you and hope you enjoyed the rest of your holiday. Hoping someone will post some Sat and Sun pics O0
Alewife

...beware of the bull!

jontea

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 20:43:19, 16/10/16 »

Walking is the world’s oldest exercise and today’s modern medicine.

https://www.johntrowsdaleart.com/

Instagram  jontea62

alewife

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 22:25:11, 16/10/16 »
Cheers Jontea. Glad you posted those here too.

Saturday's walk O0
Alewife

...beware of the bull!

jontea

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 06:49:51, 17/10/16 »
Cheers Jontea. Glad you posted those here too.

Saturday's walk O0

Sorry for the delay Deb's, busy week.

It was great to see some familiar forum faces and meet new ones too. I really did enjoy Saturday's walk, wish I could have stayed longer.

Thanks to Deb's for getting the meet together, and Peter for sharing his local knowledge.

Malham really is a beautiful area of the Dales  O0

Instagram  jontea62

domtheone

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 09:35:53, 17/10/16 »
Nice pics guys. O0

That drop-off looks huge in that penultimate pic jontea :o
If they don't like you going out, they'll love you coming in!

*Money back guarantee does not cover for **** weather!

redeye

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 12:00:58, 17/10/16 »
Looks like a great weekend   and great photos  O0
one place I've rarely been too the dales . Need to get out more  :)

jontea

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 18:50:49, 17/10/16 »
Nice pics guys. O0

That drop-off looks huge in that penultimate pic jontea :o

It was huge Dom  :o

Instagram  jontea62

Rhino

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 11:41:11, 18/10/16 »
Nice TR and pics  O0
Wainwrights Completed 12/12/15

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy