Author Topic: Sandwich alternatives?  (Read 11143 times)

Mel

• Veteran Member
Sandwich alternatives?
« on: 15:41:21, 17/10/16 »
I seem to be having digestive problems with bread at the moment (my personal thought is that it's all the preservatives they bung in a loaf nowadays  >:(  ).  I seem to be fine with pasta, pastry, cakes (phew!) and cereals so am inclined to think it's not a gluten intolerance.

Can anyone suggest any alternatives for cold savoury "hill food" for day walks ... other than sausage rolls and pork pies ... that would survive well in a rucksack?

Ta muchly  :)

Glyno

• Veteran Member
Re: Sandwich alternatives?
« Reply #1 on: 15:42:35, 17/10/16 »
oatcakes and sliced cheese

Glyno

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 15:45:05, 17/10/16 »
these are easily the best if you can find them (Booths do them)

motorlaunch

« Reply #3 on: 16:01:07, 17/10/16 »
Agree with Glyno about the oatcakes, though I usually go for Nairns rough oatcakes. For a topping there is tuna  from John West which comes in handy plastic packs in a range of different flavours,  salami is another option.

Hedgetrimmer

« Reply #4 on: 16:10:12, 17/10/16 »
For a topping there is tuna  from John West which comes in handy plastic packs in a range of different flavours

Cod, salmon and mackerel flavours?  :2funny:

Er, sorry, I'll get me coat  :-[

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 16:12:30, 17/10/16 »
Okey-dokey.  I shall give oatcakes a go for my packup at work and see what concoctions I can come up with  O0

Would you use them like bread and have a filling or just top them with cheese, tuna, etc. ?

Glyno

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 16:16:07, 17/10/16 »
cheese slices or crunchy peanut butter for me (on top, not between)

If in a sandwich box in a rucksack I'd go for cheese.
« Last Edit: 16:20:18, 17/10/16 by Glyno »

Annejacko

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 16:17:05, 17/10/16 »
I've got a good recipe for Baked Bean and Sweet Potato pasties that was in a Trail magazine(I think) a few years back.

Even goes down well with hubby a definite carnivore!

Can pm you it if you'd like O0
Enjoy every sandwich

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 16:22:27, 17/10/16 »
Ooh, yes please Annejacko  O0   I like the sound of that as a normal meal "meal" ... if that makes sense  ;D

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 17:03:40, 17/10/16 »
Cooked pasta (fussili or similar shapes not spaghetti) , mixed cold with one of the tuna sachets plus a few olives, halved cherry tomatoes, cucumber, fresh basil/parsley. Carry in a tupperware ( showing my age :().
Don't forget a fork or you could whittle one while on the trail ;D
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

Sarah Pitht

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 17:12:01, 17/10/16 »
Has anyone mentioned quiche?

Hubby often makes a frittata (basically a Spanish omelette). A slice tastes amazing the next day on the hills.

Islandplodder

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 17:14:35, 17/10/16 »
My son swears by tuna pasta (that's just pasta with tuna and maybe a red pepper or tomatoes or even peas stirred in).  It needs a box with a secure lid though.  He says it's much more sustaining than sandwiches.  You have to remember to take a plastic fork to eat it with as well.
I tend to go with oatcakes sandwiched together with butter and take a lump of cheese or a hard boiled egg to go with it.  But I do find that you need quite a lot of other stuff if you avoid bread.
On a recent LDP we couldn't get bread all that regularly and lived on rice cakes and little tins of tuna salad.

adalard

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 17:15:27, 17/10/16 »
Cooked pasta (fussili or similar shapes not spaghetti) , mixed cold with one of the tuna sachets plus a few olives, halved cherry tomatoes, cucumber, fresh basil/parsley. Carry in a tupperware ( showing my age :( ).
Don't forget a fork or you could whittle one while on the trail ;D

This discussion is making me hungry - I could just eat that now...!  :)

I've sometimes taken a mixed bean and/or chickpea salad in a plastic tub - olives, tomatoes, peppers, herbs, bit of dressing etc. (usually determined by what's in the fridge at the time).

Islandplodder

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 17:17:23, 17/10/16 »
Really like the frittata idea, I'll try that one!

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 17:20:57, 17/10/16 »
Pasta salads and Fritatta! I make/eat those all the time!  Can't believe I never considered those  :-[

You do realise I'm going to have to do lots of walking now to try all these ideas out  ;D

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy