Author Topic: Mens walking trousers  (Read 14338 times)

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
Re: Mens walking trousers
« Reply #15 on: 16:09:08, 18/10/16 »

£25 at Gaynor Sports O0

Re: Craghoppers Kiwi Pro Stretch

Only a slightly dearer than Gaynor's but a bigger selection of sizes & leg lengths available

http://www.uttings.co.uk/p114446-craghoppers-mens-kiwi-pro-active-trousers-black-cmj322-800/

Don't forget you can also get a further 10% off by getting a price match at Go Outdoors if they have your size in stock.  ;)

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 16:30:22, 18/10/16 »
Rhoan Bags, are very high quality cotton trousers, that will last many many years, and are available for around £40 or so.

Their not waterproof, but extremely windproof, and dry very quickly.

Rohan having been manufacturing these cotton walking trousers for decades, and the fact they are still being produced, is testimony to a well designed product.
Ive still got a similar designed pair of Mountain Equipment Freestyle trousers, that i bought back in 1979.
They are still in excellent condition, and over the years the cotton has discolored, but all the zips are in good working condition, and there are numerous pockets to keep essential items.

My original Mountain Equipment freestyle trousers are the oldest bit of kit i still own, that gets regular use, and the polycotton dries very quickly on a dry windy day.

Ive just checked Rhoans main website, and i could not quite believe how many different designed walking trousers they now manufacture.

The Bags are still there, but so are around ten other similarly designed higher spec trousers, all manufactured to Rhoans high quality.

Rohan is a site I looked at when choosing my new trousers. Dare I say my impression was that theirs seem to be made not so much for year-round use in Britain but for trekking and travel in fairer climates? As you make clear, they are cotton (or are they polycotton?) and it was the cotton element in my Pinewood trousers that made them unsuitable for my backpacking. Something our OP from across the pond is aware of, when he writes of available trousers with a "disqualifying element of cotton".

forgotmyoldpassword

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 17:21:38, 18/10/16 »
Montane Pack are what I'd go for.  They are excellent value for what you get, a 250g pair of trousers, windproof, water repellent, close fit, packable, well made, dry fast, and good for three season use with a base layer underneath on colder days.

And it isn't like you'd be needing to pay the earth either, these go for £65.

Regarding Rohan, I had a similar experience, heard great things about them and wanted to support them due to their heritage (they were the -go to- piece of kit twenty years ago apparently).  However, perhaps the model I bought was simple too 'seasonal', but I'd struggle to get much use out of them beyond one season, where I prefer convertibles or 3/4 length trousers/long shorts anyway.  I'd love to be recommended a pair which is actually a bit more sturdy, but frankly for that price I believe you can get a lot better these days, see above.

Matt010791

« Reply #18 on: 17:31:43, 18/10/16 »
Thanks everyone for your input, really didn't expect so much help tbh. Really new to this forum and walking in general so don't want to waste money on more expensive brands/models when theres cheaper more superior products out there.

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 18:05:13, 18/10/16 »
Ive lost count of all the kit that i have  bought over the many years Ive ventured in the hills, most of it languishes in my wardrobe, an impulse buy, because it looked nice in the shop, and i had money burning away in my pocket.
I still think about that lovely little blue cotton Mountain Equipment jacket, that i accidentally left on a seat in the old Clough Williams Ellis, Snowdon cafe, in the late 1980s.

It was a gift from my late father, when holidaying in Edinburgh back in 1977, and during the summer months, was my chosen bit of clothing, simply because it was so comfortable, and shrugged off the passing rain showers with ease, and dried quickly when wet.

The same goes for my Freestyle Trousers, which i bought in Up and Under outdoors in Cowbridge Rd in Cardiff in 1979, the shop closed long ago.

Those trousers have survived numerous Challenge walks, including my gallant attempt on a LDWA Hundred, which ended bravely at Mile 70, simply because their superb trousers, perfectly cut for walking, and dry very quickly.

Only my ancient Silva Compass, has survived as long as those strides.

Those of you new to walking, or thinking of a bit of functional kit, that will still be with you, when your grey and receding, pop into any Rohan store, and try on a pair of their cotton trousers.

Personal choice i know, but correct legwear is very important, and Rohan Bags could be a fine investment.

Matt010791

« Reply #20 on: 17:50:26, 20/10/16 »
So guys went for the Craghoppers kiwi pro. Great fit and should more than do the trick  O0  Nice price match swell from Gaynor's so think i paid about £22 in the end.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 18:36:36, 20/10/16 »
Good choice, good price  O0
Where there's a will ...

Innominate Man

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 23:40:45, 20/10/16 »
Re: Craghoppers Kiwi Pro Stretch
I read a good number of positive comments on here about these so bought a pair.
I like them around the house for general use and simple - level walking. As mentioned by Fernman, I find the sizes a bit problematic (baggy leg & bum). For my leg length I need a waist size that bears no resemblance to any other trousers I've had. This didn't manifest itself as a problem until having become over-confident with them (on easy walks) so wore them on a trip up & around Whernside.  
On the long uphill section I found they started to pull themselves down, which I think was due to the amount of leg movement and pull from the knee. It was noticeable how many times I had to hoik them up before I ended up with 'builders bum'.
On my next similar outing I reverted to my older pair of Rab (something or others). Which are a closer fit and noticeably higher at the back.
The last thing you need on a hill ascent is a draught up your cleft   :o
Only a hill but all of life to me, up there between the sunset and the sea. 
Geoffrey Winthrop Young

Lost_Yeti

« Reply #23 on: 00:44:06, 21/10/16 »
+1 for "Craghoppers Kiwi Pro STRETCH" trousers, which contains lycra and fits slim without making the wearer feel clingy.

Widely available in different lengths & colour combinations, even better with current promo at an even lower price.

Peter

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 09:46:31, 21/10/16 »
I have the opposite problem. I'm too.. fat...  :-[  to get proper walking trousers. Try as I do, I cannot find a quality product that fits.
When you discover that a XXL is actually a 38" waist.. what hope do I have??
Peter
sometimes I fall off the learning curve....
Join: Yorkshire Dales Walking Buddies
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1783012625307

Snowman

« Reply #25 on: 10:05:52, 21/10/16 »
You won't go wrong with the Kiwi's.   I took a pair of standard Kiwi's to Uganda a while back and they served me very well.   Clothes can get dirty very quickly in Africa, so the quick drying element of these is ideal and they look OK if someone invites you to dine (Africans can be very hospitable so that isn't uncommon).    The zip off feature means you can wear them as shorts when it gets super hot.

Firefly55

« Reply #26 on: 16:18:58, 28/11/16 »
Snowman....don't forget to zip the legs back on as I did......and mislaid one of the legs for a while....result three tone trousers, very stylish.!
Kiwis good but 'bags like' for slim build like me, also have three pairs languishing and after some slimmer fit ones with not so many pockets,
is the flapped pocket supposed to be for a map? At a squeeze and a fold maybe.
I also had a pair of the original Rohan bags which lasted for years until I developed a minor beer gut, also a pair of knee length thingys made of what felt like wetsuit material. Very silly looking and only worn three times. The things we do when young..!

NeilC

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: 16:44:59, 28/11/16 »
Pretty much all the Decathlon trousers are slim fitting. I think it's a French thing!

In warmer months I wear the simple, cheap polyester hiking trousers - thin and light. In colder days I wear their winter warm ones which are windproof, water repellent and have a slight brushed fleece feel backing so they're warm. I think from memory it's thesehttps://www.decathlon.co.uk/forclaz-900-mens-walking-trousers-dark-grey-id_8343230.html you don't need a base layer on the move in these I find. Really good.

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #28 on: 19:49:08, 28/11/16 »
A friend of mine followed me to Bettws Y Coed last Friday, and bought a pair of very impressive Gelert walking trousers.
We first of all called into the Rohan shop over the road, and similar styled polycotton lined trousers were a rather expensive £67.

These Gelert trousers have very high quality half way leg zips, an inner pertex type leg material to aid wicking away sweat, and side pockets large enough to store essential items.

If one removed the Gelert embroidered name from the side, one would really struggle to tell which manufacturer made them.

Quality wise, there was not a huge amount of difference between the Rohans and these Gelerts.

I am sure the Rohans would last almost for ever, and at £67 i would hope they would, but the Gelerts were magnificent trousers, for well under half the price of the big named items.

The Gelerts  cost a very reasonable £24.99, and when i examined them, they looked like they would take a serious amount of punishment.

It just goes to show, a product with a budget market name does not have to be a budget manufactured item of clothing.

Had i needed a new pair of walking trousers, they would have made a worthy purchase, at a sensible asking price.

Penygadair

• Veteran Member
« Reply #29 on: 13:33:26, 01/12/16 »
Interesting. I wanted to buy new walking trousers yesterday but neither Blacks nor Millets had the correct waist/leg combination in Craghoppers.

I've had a look at Gelert's website and will probably go to their outlet in Porthmadog in the next few days to try your recommendations.

Crazily enough they advertise walking trousers at £7.50. Probably wouldn't wear those for walking but I need new gardening trousers and those might be cheaper than my usual supplier - Oxfam.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy