Author Topic: Mens walking trousers  (Read 14340 times)

welshwiz

Re: Mens walking trousers
« Reply #45 on: 00:18:40, 03/12/16 »
Penygadir
I bought two pairs of pro stretch in Debenhams in Llandudno a few months ago. They a craghoppers section. 
To many mountains, not enough time.

Penygadair

• Veteran Member
« Reply #46 on: 12:24:34, 03/12/16 »
Penygadir
I bought two pairs of pro stretch in Debenhams in Llandudno a few months ago. They a craghoppers section.

Thanks for that. I didn't know.

Penygadair

• Veteran Member
« Reply #47 on: 12:26:46, 03/12/16 »
LOL, but I feel compelled to respond to that - they do still fit, in spite of me increasing from 34" to 38" in that time. Thanks are due to an elasticated waist and a generous cut. Gardening use is determined by two or three tiny tears and a bit of fraying, plus a broken zip that is held together with a safety pin.

Sounds posh in comparison with my gardening kit  ;D  Safety pins also necessary

Mumf

« Reply #48 on: 10:33:46, 06/12/16 »
I tend to buy workwear trousers with side pockets off EBay at a tenner a go . I walk about 25 miles every week and bin them after about 10 years . I find they are much more hard wearing than the poncy brand names and much better value ... O0

A dog will love you for what you are ...and not for the clothes you wear .

DK

« Reply #49 on: 18:42:45, 19/02/17 »
Montane Terra all the way, apart from winter when the Super Terra are excellent
We weren't born to just pay bills and die...

dellwalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #50 on: 21:34:38, 19/02/17 »

Montane Terra all the way, apart from winter when the Super Terra are excellent

Without doubt excellent trousers. I walked today in the drizzle in the Brecon Beacons and didn't need to put over trousers on. They can be used most of the year and have a good venting system and come with a short leg option, unlike most other trousers. Were on offer at Go Outdoors last week.

Tomo

« Reply #51 on: 10:36:50, 20/02/17 »
Another vote for Montane.

I own a pair of Terra Pack pants and use them for the summer months. My med/reg length pair weighs in at 210g - packs down into a small (supplied) storage bag, has three press studs at the ankle to adjust fitting, and comes with its own belt. My only gripe would be that the pockets are a little on the small side. A quick online search finds them for sale at £41.99 + £4.99 postage.

I can also recommend the Simond Alpinism lightweight trousers from Decathlon. They keep the rain out well and are super stretchy when worn. They have two front, zipped pockets and come with a decent belt. I'd recommend trying them on in the store though as size info was a little confusing (I'm 5'8, 145lbs with a 30" waist and ended up buying size EU:42 / US: small/med. They cost £34.99

DK

« Reply #52 on: 13:18:32, 20/02/17 »
Another vote for Montane.

I own a pair of Terra Pack pants and use them for the summer months. My med/reg length pair weighs in at 210g - packs down into a small (supplied) storage bag, has three press studs at the ankle to adjust fitting, and comes with its own belt. My only gripe would be that the pockets are a little on the small side. A quick online search finds them for sale at £41.99 + £4.99 postage.

I can also recommend the Simond Alpinism lightweight trousers from Decathlon. They keep the rain out well and are super stretchy when worn. They have two front, zipped pockets and come with a decent belt. I'd recommend trying them on in the store though as size info was a little confusing (I'm 5'8, 145lbs with a 30" waist and ended up buying size EU:42 / US: small/med. They cost £34.99

Tomo, I have the Simond Alpinism 700 pants, they are bomb proof for snow conditions but not best suited for a UK downpour! Took the plunge on a pair of Paramo Cascada 2's this season as Dartmoor isn't crampon country so less robust pants are ok. Have to say that any scepticism over these all day waterproof pants was swiftly put aside as they are awesome; warm, waterproof, quiet and well comfortable. No on/off with over trousers is a winner for me  O0
« Last Edit: 13:31:47, 20/02/17 by DK »

glovepuppet

• Veteran Member
« Reply #53 on: 13:22:59, 20/02/17 »

These are currently my favourite lightweight, stretch walking trousers - if, like me, Kiwi Pro Stretch are not a great cut, these might be worth a try.

http://www.jack-wolfskin.co.uk/activate-light-men/1503771-1588046.html

There's various sizes and leg lengths, and a couple of colours. And you can often pick them up for much less than the list price - I paid about £35-ish for mine.

Tomo

« Reply #54 on: 14:15:02, 20/02/17 »
Tomo, I have the Simond Alpinism 700 pants, they are bomb proof for snow conditions but not best suited for a UK downpour!...

I wore my pair of Simonds pants during a weekend hiking trip to the Lakes last year and they stood up pretty well to a constant drizzle. Any heavier though and I would have stuck on my Rab Bergans.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #55 on: 18:42:16, 20/02/17 »
My problem with walking trousers is that I have a 27" inside leg. When I try them on, the knee joint area is either above, or below my knee because most firms make 29" - 30" leg lengths. It gives my wife a laugh when I try different brands on but for me its disheartening and irritating! I'm just not standard size!

DK

« Reply #56 on: 18:48:10, 20/02/17 »
I bet you could get shorts with a 27inch inside leg  ;)

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy