Author Topic: Anyone use the Rab Fuse Waterproof jacket with Pertex Shield +  (Read 7927 times)

Z3man

Hi All,

Just wondered if anyone here uses a Rab Fuse jacket and can comment on how waterproof it is.

I have been looking for a waterproof jacket lately, but also want something that is warm, lightweight and comfortable. I haven't been able to find anything so i have decided to stick with my Rab Microlight jacket which i really like, and use a waterproof jacket over the top of it when it rains.

I like the Fuse jacket it is a good fit and very light and comfortable, and will roll up nice and small to fit in my rucksack. But it does seem very lightweight, so i am a bit dubious how waterproof it will be, so just wondered if anyone here has any experience of it in the rain.

Thanks

Paul

Kukkudrill

You sound like me up to around a year and a half ago - used to hefty rainjackets that were bombproof but not very packable. Then I got myself a Berghaus Light Trek, and I too wondered whether something so lightweight could be waterproof. But it's proved itself. At one stage I thought it was leaking but it turned out to be condensation. I confirmed this by standing under a powerful garden hose for ten minutes in the jacket and I stayed dry.

I've no experience with the Rab Fuse, but I see no reason why it should not be waterproof. Since it's a 2.5 layer jacket, meaning it has no inner lining, you might get some condensation like I did with my Berghaus. Heftier jackets usually have a liner, and this seems to cut condensation. But the lighter weight and greater packability of 2.5 layer jackets makes up for their greater tendency to develop condensation.
Make the most of the available light

Jac

• Veteran Member
I have a RAB Fuse Pertex (ladies version) almost 18 months old.
It is not as waterproof now as it was when new but I haven't washed/reproofed it. Being a very lightweight jacket it has spent quite a lot of time rolled up in the backsack on good days 'just in case needed' which might not have improved it but equally it hasn't seen hard use. During a couple of hours steady rain on the Pembroke coast path, with light wind off the sea,  I ended up with my seaward side distinctly damp. Up til then I'd been rather pleased with it.

I'll be interested to hear other's experience.
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

Z3man

Thanks for the replies.

I purchased the Fuse from go outdoors today, very good fit, fits over my Rab Microlight perfectly.

No rain forecast in the north east this week so won't get chance to test how waterproof it is just yet, but going on a walking holiday in Coniston in the Lake District next Saturday for a week, so should get chance to test it then.

Will report back with my findings.

Slogger

• Veteran Member
Unlike the disappointing 2 layer Pertex Shield that leaves you feeling wet through condensation the 2.5 layer incorporates the inner lining with the waterproof membrane, so should be slightly absorbent avoiding that wet feeling.

Z3man

Sorry forgot all about this thread.

The Fuse jacket turned out not to be very waterproof at all. I did a 3 mile walk in medium rain and i got pretty wet, i was very disappointed with it so took it back to Go outdoors. I don't know if this was just condensation or not, all i know is that my Rab Microlight jacket which i wore the Fuse over the top of, got very wet.

The Fuse jacket was a medium blue and some bits of it went dark blue as if it was water logged, so probably not condensation, more likely just not waterproof.

christer

For non-alpine treks I use the Alpkit Balance shell which is quite reasonably priced and is completely waterproof so far. Lightweight too with excellent fit and hood.

Cairncamper

Sorry forgot all about this thread.

The Fuse jacket turned out not to be very waterproof at all. I did a 3 mile walk in medium rain and i got pretty wet, i was very disappointed with it so took it back to Go outdoors. I don't know if this was just condensation or not, all i know is that my Rab Microlight jacket which i wore the Fuse over the top of, got very wet.

The Fuse jacket was a medium blue and some bits of it went dark blue as if it was water logged, so probably not condensation, more likely just not waterproof.

Thing is, with that setup you have multiple layers of wind blocking pertex, which isn't very breathable, as obviously it's wind blocking, so it could be condensation.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy