Author Topic: Hi all from Cheshire UK.  (Read 2753 times)

MikeW

Hi all from Cheshire UK.
« on: 11:51:51, 23/10/16 »
Hi all.
New member from Cheshire here.
Just getting back into hill 'walking' after a good few years off.
Hoping to tick off all the welsh 3000's before the end of the year ...and just 3 left. :)

videoman

Re: Hi all from Cheshire UK.
« Reply #1 on: 07:24:13, 24/10/16 »
Hi Mike and welcome, just over the border from you in North Staffordshire

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 09:24:57, 24/10/16 »
Hi From Shropshire and welcome.
BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 18:20:34, 24/10/16 »
Welcome from the Sussex coast    :)

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 22:35:06, 24/10/16 »
Hi Mike and welcome from the Peak District O0

Tracey :)
***Happiness is only a smile away***

MoelPysgod

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 08:30:40, 25/10/16 »
Hi from Flintshire!

I've still got the three northern Carneddau plus Pen Yr Ole Wen to do - there's always something I want to climb more! Was going to get them all in a north-south traverse of the range but probably left it a bit late in the year now, especially with the clocks going back this weekend.

MikeW

« Reply #6 on: 20:02:38, 25/10/16 »
Thanks for the welcomes.

Yes, they're the 3 I have left to do ...Foel Grach, Carnedd Gwenllian and Foel Fras.
I hope to do them in the next available weather window after the Snowdon race thing that's going to make the whole area very busy this weekend.

Can't decide which route to take and I guess it will probably partly be decided by the weather.

The possibilities I have on the list so far are From the North West - Aber Falls or from the East - Nearest village Tal-y-bont?

Both can be done as circulars ...I need to end up back at the car and try to avoid there and backs and the route from the East can include a grade 1 scramble up past Craig yr Ysfa cliffs If I've done my research correctly.

Would welcome a description of this scramble if anyone has experienced it? How does it compare in difficulty to say Crib Goch or Tryfan North ridge?
The main issue being my dog lol. She is comfortable being hoisted up in her harness and had no problem going up North ridge but struggled in a couple of places with the Southern decent.

MoelPysgod

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 23:44:07, 25/10/16 »
Post your question on the Wales board, I'm sure there'll be someone there who can answer.

Glyno

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 16:17:58, 27/10/16 »

Yes, they're the 3 I have left to do ...Foel Grach, Carnedd Gwenllian and Foel Fras.
I hope to do them in the next available weather window after the Snowdon race thing that's going to make the whole area very busy this weekend.

Isn't the Snowdon Race mainly around the base of Snowdon? Northern Carneddau should be pretty clear I'd imagine.

Hi Mike btw (from Cheshire too!)

ljmeerkat75

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 22:46:34, 27/10/16 »
Thanks for the welcomes.

Can't decide which route to take and I guess it will probably partly be decided by the weather.

The possibilities I have on the list so far are From the North West - Aber Falls or from the East - Nearest village Tal-y-bont?

Both can be done as circulars ...I need to end up back at the car and try to avoid there and backs and the route from the East can include a grade 1 scramble up past Craig yr Ysfa cliffs If I've done my research correctly.

Would welcome a description of this scramble if anyone has experienced it? How does it compare in difficulty to say Crib Goch or Tryfan North ridge?
The main issue being my dog lol. She is comfortable being hoisted up in her harness and had no problem going up North ridge but struggled in a couple of places with the Southern decent.

Hi from Prestatyn and to answer your question about the scrambly bit on Crag yr Ysfa its over before you know it and no route description is needed if you have done the North ridge of Tryfan it will be a doddle for you and the pooch

MikeW

« Reply #10 on: 21:15:13, 28/10/16 »
Thanks for the info and the welcome.
Looks like I can confidently include that scramble on the next walk there, approaching from the East then.
 :)

Trenchfoot

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 07:58:07, 31/10/16 »
Welcome to the forum Mike.
roll on the weekend

altirando

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 19:21:38, 31/10/16 »
You can bag all the Carnedd tops in one circuit by starting at Rowen, and finishing at Talybont.  Long summer day needed.  Do not understand the mention of scramble, Great Gully up Craig yr Ysfa is a Vdiff climb.

MikeW

« Reply #13 on: 21:07:32, 31/10/16 »
There is a climb up there. I don't plan on doing the climb without protection and don't have anyone to belay at the moment. I'm just hoping pick a nice scenic route with a bit of scrambling and get a good look from below at the cliffs I've seen from above on my way up to my last 3 Welsh 3000's in an ideal world.

I was asking about what I've seen described as a scramble from the bottom of Craig yr Ysfa at the disused quarry / tip heading North West up to Foel Grach. I've heard mixed reports about it, some saying its easy and others saying there are a few exposed moves. Though there may be some confusion with the vdiff climb or there may be a third route up there?

Yorkshirewalker26

« Reply #14 on: 08:32:32, 01/11/16 »
Welcome!

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy