Author Topic: Best shoes for beginners?!  (Read 2220 times)

EjBHutch

Best shoes for beginners?!
« on: 17:16:17, 23/10/16 »
Hello everyone  :)

I am new to this forum and have only just taken up walking as a hobby.
So far, I have just been using my running trainers but I want to invest in some 'proper' shoes that are comfortable and made for the job.

I live in the Peak District so I mainly walk up hills etc.

I do not know whether boots or walking shoes would be best?
I wouldn't really say that I need ankle support at the moment.. my ankles have been fine with regular trainers so far (e.g. up Mom Tor etc) but I have heard that boots are more supportive.. and I do have bad hips. I'm just worried about the extra weight that boots may add..

Anyway, what would you recommend to a beginner? Boots or shoes?

alewife

• Veteran Member
Re: Best shoes for beginners?!
« Reply #1 on: 17:33:24, 23/10/16 »
I have both, but favour boots most of the time since I have a better chance of my feet remaining dry throughout the walk. I keep the shoes for reliable weather and walks that I know.

Welcome to the forum.
Alewife

...beware of the bull!

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 19:56:45, 23/10/16 »
If you're walking in the Peaks I'd definitely suggest boots rather than shoes  O0
Where there's a will ...

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 19:59:49, 23/10/16 »
I always wear boots but lots of people will advocate shoes too.

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 20:20:05, 23/10/16 »
I wore shoes at first but now much prefer boots. 

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 20:52:55, 23/10/16 »
I'd say boots too.  It's quite liberating being able to squelch through mud without a care in the world.

Though, if you've never worn them before, it takes a few goes to stop feeling like you're wearing someone else's legs  ;D

MoelPysgod

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 06:08:17, 24/10/16 »
I started out in boots, and couldn't imagine wearing anything else. Then I tried approach shoes and now I only wear boots in the snow. I'm not convinced the whole "ankle support" thing is anything but myth. I can move much more nimbly in shoes, and they don't hurt my feet. Sometimes I just have a pair of thin casual socks (like you'd wear with a suit) and my feet don't complain once. Waterproof shoes will keep the wet out to a point, although obviously only up to the ankle. If you really don't like mud, boots might be the best choice.

I wear Scarpa Oxygen GTX approach shoes, and would unreservedly recommend them as go anywhere, do anything footwear. Long walks, scrambling, backpacking, even running.

TonyJ

« Reply #7 on: 20:48:52, 24/10/16 »
Boots for me to support the ankles, as every now and then I go over on the ankle and the boots lessen the pain and suffering.

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 09:42:14, 25/10/16 »
I agree boots. I introduced Mrs BWW to walking though as a country girl she spent much time in Wellies and has a tendency to collect footwear many of which she will claim are walking shoes.
Now she extols the virtue of walking in boots, gives her more confidence on difficult terrain and is extremely sure footed. Rarely do we have to stop to remove debris from in the footwear and I can even encourage her into places where she will get her boots dirty ::)
BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

wobblyknees

« Reply #9 on: 10:29:02, 25/10/16 »
I'm not convinced the whole "ankle support" thing is anything but myth.

I hope you never fall and sprain, or worse, break an ankle on top of a mountain miles away from support. Helicopter rescues don't come cheap.

I much prefer boots to walking shoes. Because of the extra support they give, my feet always feel much better at the end of a long day. Boots also give more confidence on steep ascents and descents.

lostme1

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 11:50:35, 25/10/16 »
I can even encourage her into places where she will get her boots dirty ::)

After encouraging such reckless action I hope you clean her boots after the walk.  ;D
These boots are made for walking.... so long as the rest of my body agrees

Matt010791

« Reply #11 on: 19:24:53, 25/10/16 »
i prefer a boot and the feeling of more support but its totally a personal preference  O0

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy