Author Topic: Your Last Walk  (Read 36294 times)

MikeW

Re: Your Last Walk
« Reply #150 on: 19:45:39, 22/01/17 »
Sun setting behind Snowdon summit from Garnedd Ugain yesterday evening.

SkyeLarks

« Reply #151 on: 10:32:30, 23/01/17 »
Had a spectacular day of firsts (and lasts) on Saturday above the clouds: my first Munro, Ben Lomond, and my first brocken spectre at the summit!
And it was my last day as a 20 year old, what a birthday gift

Looking back over the south ridge

Look!! Brocken spetre! :D Totally amazing

What a view...

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #152 on: 11:01:00, 23/01/17 »
Looks like a lovely day out SL, had a look at Loch Lomond from the Loch Katrine side a couple or 3 years ago.
Welcome to the forum BTW, just read your intro.

Went to have a look at a private bridge over the River Severn at Apley Forge last Friday.

Route shown about 3 miles though we added a few recce spurs on to boost the distance,

Hopefully follow up with a TR or some further observations on X zones.
« Last Edit: 12:30:27, 23/01/17 by barewirewalker »
BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #153 on: 11:11:05, 23/01/17 »
Had a spectacular day of firsts (and lasts) on Saturday above the clouds: my first Munro, Ben Lomond, and my first brocken spectre at the summit!
And it was my last day as a 20 year old
Great pics SkyeLarks and happy 21st for yesterday.

adalard

• Veteran Member
« Reply #154 on: 11:40:29, 23/01/17 »
Fantastic pictures, Skyelarks!  O0  And happy birthday from me too  :)

Innominate Man

• Veteran Member
« Reply #155 on: 00:29:22, 24/01/17 »
And it was my last day as a 20 year old, what a birthday gift
Lucky indeed, I know some people who have walked most of a lifetime and never seem a brocken spectre. What a day you had  O0
Only a hill but all of life to me, up there between the sunset and the sea. 
Geoffrey Winthrop Young

Innominate Man

• Veteran Member
« Reply #156 on: 00:31:23, 24/01/17 »
Nice photos bww & lovely suspension bridge  O0
Geoffrey Winthrop Young

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #157 on: 10:32:15, 24/01/17 »
Nice photos bww & lovely suspension bridge  O0

Would be a really lovely bridge if access across it was allowed  :( . Many may have walked under it as part of the Severn Way but how many have pondered its use and why it is there. As part of the Apley Park Estate it appears to serve no other purpose that to get shooting parties across the river. One wonders when the railway was there how much the commercial impact of siting a station there was purely down to the convenience of the Foster Family, who had recently bought the estate. Foster was a business man, an ironfounder, and the plaque on the bridge reserves the rights for tenants etc to use the bridge for access to the station.

Now the railway is closed, has been ever since Dr Beeching, but access has been opened up along it from Much Wenlock to Bridgenorth, most of it I think, met a Rottweiller along part of it a few years ago, another adventure. But wonders how many children went to school, even university along that line? Did milk get taken to the station before farm collections? How many country people walked down the footpaths from the west to catch the train from Apley Forge station? Perhaps met friends and relations from the east side.

Trouble with estates was their heirs, they tended to target their marriages into the aristocracy, where we see the excessive need of privacy. Irony is that the house at Apley Park was too big for the upkeep of 'a family', it became a secondary modern boarding school, until it nearly fell down.

The Apley Estate boast of 8,500 acres (3,500 hectares) set in beautiful Shropshire countryside, but you cannot pick up the trails of those who worked there, help to fashion the countryside on the east, even follow the last walk from homes of many of those who went to recruiting offices to sign up for 2 World Wars, not the legacy intended to be bequeathed by the 1949 Act of Parliament.

Interesting, since my visit to the bridge, and perusing the internet was Hitler's interest in Apley here;
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2103362/Hitler-wanted-set-base-sleepy-market-town-Midlands-UK-invasion-successful.html

Was the bridge one of the items of the properties portfolio that caught his eye? I think I read somewhere that an Act of Parliament was necessary to build a bridge over a major river.
BWW

SkyeLarks

« Reply #158 on: 13:18:57, 24/01/17 »
That animation is nifty bww, how do you make them?!

Back home in Cumbria theres lot's of bridges you can't cross and paths/bridleways which come to an abrupt halt at a fence then mysteriously seem to restart a few miles away... Very frustrating  :-\  and so hard to prove there was once access through. If only the open access laws in Scotland could spread across the border... We can always dream!

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #159 on: 17:04:02, 24/01/17 »
Sharp eyes Skyelarks, seemed to have escaped the notice of others on the forum. I think it could be the first example of an animated route map on the forum. I found out how to make them a couple of years ago, but failed to get them to work on this forum. Being of a generation not educated into the ways and means of IT and being a slow learner, I could only spend the time picking up computer knowhow after retirement.
Glyno posted an animated GIF file a few posts ago on this topic, it is on this topic, next page back, so I thought a home made animated GIF might work.

Animated GIFs can be made with GIMP, free software for photo editing, and is done by animating  layers over a background with a command in the filters menu. If you know the difference between .png and .jpeg you are almost there.

Bridges are important infrastructure in an access network. What you have noticed are probably the legacy from the political corruption of the definitive map. Reading the topic I have started on X zones might give a bit of understanding. If you are going into large animal veterinary practice a little understanding may help. Even if it just knowing where to sit on the fence, I can wind up landowners now that I am retired >:D .

Shortly after I retired I was walking a rather anomalous path which ended in the middle of a field. Quite useful because the landowner could not berate you as long as he didn't see from whence you accessed the path. The other end leads to a very useful bridge, and an old converted mill house nearby. I was surprised to find an old friend living there, whose father had been a well known vet in Shropshire in the days when they visited everything and everybody. I learnt the reason for the path was a very run down small holding, long since bulldozed down, carted away to provide infill and ploughed over. Part of the route to this old place did not get onto the Definitive Map. Her father used to call there and had a long walk from where he could leave his car and not get stuck in mud.

I think the photography section might be the place to discuss animated maps if you need anymore help.
BWW

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #160 on: 20:57:31, 24/01/17 »
I think the photography section might be the place to discuss animated maps if you need anymore help.

Oooh, please do start a topic on how to do that.  I'd be interested to know as well  O0

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #161 on: 12:33:03, 25/01/17 »

Oooh, please do start a topic on how to do that.  I'd be interested to know as well  O0

Will do, got remember how i did it now ::)
BWW

midweekmountain

• Veteran Member
« Reply #162 on: 20:39:48, 25/01/17 »
Image may contain: tree, plant, outdoor and nature

My last walk was round Shipley and Salts Mill.

I also had a request to have looksie at Shipley Glen, the infamous bouldering area that H's father had spoken fondly about, I had also spent many hours exploring in my youth here so it was a trip down memory lane for me.

Although today it looked as green as a gilbert thing BUT there were still a couple of takers.

We had used the FREE car park at Salts so when we finished the walk we noted the mill was open till 18.00 hrs so we dipped in and had a look at the FREE Hockney exhibition.

Twas stunning would recommend it to any visiting party. (Walk and Exhibition)

Image may contain: tree, plant, shoes, outdoor and nature

Anyone for Bouldering

Image may contain: sky, outdoor and water

Salts Mill

Innominate Man

• Veteran Member
« Reply #163 on: 17:18:22, 26/01/17 »
Titus ?

- A gnats chuff   :D
Geoffrey Winthrop Young

midweekmountain

• Veteran Member
« Reply #164 on: 21:19:36, 26/01/17 »
Image may contain: sky, tree, cloud, outdoor, nature and water

Ricked me back t'other day, avn't got a clue ow I did it, so I'm gonna be an 'ooh me back arry' for a few days, its a (b)ugger getting me socks on.

Anyhow I looked out the window, twas misy I fort great and eaded down to Studley pronto, perfeck for bloke with a bad back.

The light was amazing I was like a kid looking into a sweet shop window..........

Image may contain: sky, tree, cloud, outdoor, nature and water

Image may contain: tree, sky, mountain, outdoor and nature

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy