Author Topic: Do walkers REALLY hate mountainbikers this much?  (Read 8783 times)

Rascal

I had my say on the recent thread on a 'near miss' on Snowdon recently which some of you may have read.
Another forum I frequent has just posted this:

http://singletrackworld.com/2016/11/trail-sabotage-or-attempted-murder/

Not suggesting it was a walker but jesus, that is going too far - I'm pretty sure the vast majority of you will agree.

phil1960

• Veteran Member
Re: Do walkers REALLY hate mountainbikers this much?
« Reply #1 on: 13:49:03, 01/11/16 »
I have no problem myself with mountain bikers and that pic is a shocker, but could have been any nutcase. Trail bike riders on paths on the other hand ............
Touching from a distance, further all the time.

Slogger

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 16:29:09, 01/11/16 »
Unbelievable! Surely not the actions of a responsible walker, I would certainly hope not anyway.

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 18:53:54, 01/11/16 »

Not suggesting it was a walker but jesus, that is going too far - I'm pretty sure the vast majority of you will agree.

That's really not what the title of the thread implies. The article doesn't suggest a walker or horse rider did it. There's as much chance of a walker/horse rider doing this as another biker or anyone else.
LDWs done - 32 in total including 16 National Trails and 3 C2C

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

Rascal

« Reply #4 on: 13:19:57, 02/11/16 »

There's as much chance of a walker/horse rider doing this as another biker or anyone else.
There is no way another MTBer would do that, trust me.

tonyk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 13:51:46, 02/11/16 »
 It looks as if it has been placed there as a warning rather than a deliberate attempt to kill someone.If you set an ambush you don't advertise the fact it is in place.

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 14:53:04, 02/11/16 »
I only wish there were more designated cycling trails such as Plas Y Brenin and the Gwydir Forest, around the rest of the Uk.
A walkers boot mark does not leave a long trench everywhere it goes, like that of a Mountain bike, allowing water to increase the erosion significantly.
Erosion caused by walkers, such as the path from the PYG track up to Crib Goch, takes decades to occur, whilst the damage in the forest behind The Royal Victoria Hotel in Llanberis, has happened in the last three years.

It was a huge error calling Mountain bikes by that name, it almost encourages owners to take them to places they do not belong, and charging down designated footpaths, expecting unaware walkers to give way.

The photograph is quite alarming, especially in the depth of a remote forest, where specially set up mountain bikers trails have been set up.

Such trails are carefully managed, for safety and erosion, and are almost devoid of walkers.

No, Mountain bikers should stick to the well established forest trails, and leave the mountainside alone, and one would hope such dangerous tactics are a rare event.
« Last Edit: 14:59:34, 02/11/16 by Dyffryn Ardudwy »

phil1960

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 15:08:22, 02/11/16 »

There is no way another MTBer would do that, trust me.
How do you know that for sure? Why would it be a walker? Whoever did it has mental issues clearly, but I doubt anyone will ever own up, so it's pointless and ridiculous to point the finger at any group.

Jon71

« Reply #8 on: 12:34:03, 10/11/16 »
Having been a mountain biker and have witnessed the actions of some evil, nasty walkers (the red sock brigade as we called them as they all seemed to be pensioners in red socks and plus fours) and had many a mishap on trails with logs and rocks placed on downhill trails around corners etc. Never anything like this and I hope they catch who's doing this at this is attempted murder.

happyhiker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 13:14:51, 10/11/16 »
Having been a mountain biker and have witnessed the actions of some evil, nasty walkers (the red sock brigade as we called them as they all seemed to be pensioners in red socks and plus fours) and had many a mishap on trails with logs and rocks placed on downhill trails around corners etc. Never anything like this and I hope they catch who's doing this at this is attempted murder.

If a rock/log etc around a corner is a problem for a biker then it shows they are riding too fast and thoughtlessly because that object they didn't see could be a walker!

Some (and it is only some) bikers give all of them a bad name by expecting walkers to move out of the way. They never have bells/horns (mostlly) or sound them or shout at the last minute. It is a gamble whether you step into or out of their path. If it is windy and/or you have a hood up, you might not hear them and what if it is a deaf walker! It is not realistic for bikers to be banned, at least not unless we have an army of "parkies" to catch and prosecute so we all need to get along by just showing a bit of consideration.

phil1960

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 15:23:20, 10/11/16 »
So you have actually witnessed these people doing this? Or come across logs and rocks and assumed? Maybe a little less stereotyping and assumptions are in order along with a few more facts, just a thought.

Jon71

« Reply #11 on: 19:19:34, 10/11/16 »
So you have actually witnessed these people doing this? Or come across logs and rocks and assumed? Maybe a little less stereotyping and assumptions are in order along with a few more facts, just a thought.

I've had numerous attacks from them, with them swiping at me with sticks, throwing stones and hurling verbal abuse so i believe making the trail dangerous would be out of their remit. Rabid I would describe them as and fortunately not many any such walkers since.

lostme1

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 19:56:55, 10/11/16 »

A walkers boot mark does not leave a long trench everywhere it goes, like that of a Mountain bike, allowing water to increase the erosion significantly.

Agree. Local cyclist make paths in in nearby National Trust woodlands unwalkable in the winter months. Despite signs asking them to stay on the Bridleways, they  are ignored. There is one wood with no Bridleways and fences with gates for walker only access only have been erected and I have seen cyclists ignore the signs and lift their bikes over the fence. 
These boots are made for walking.... so long as the rest of my body agrees

NeilC

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 19:42:26, 14/11/16 »
I'm a biker and a walker and both can be inconsiderate at times. Some MTBers get on my nerves even when I'm on a bike myself - blazing past without a by your leave, forcing me off the trail etc. But most of them are fine.

I've been on mountain bike trails (set out specifically for MTBers with colour gradings etc), only to find people walking UP a downhill course with dogs! Those trails are designed for bikes doing like 30-40mph with berms and jumps. Walking on them is madness. I came across two people walking in the wrong direction on an red MTB trail earlier this year and as I went past I called out to say "you'd better not walk on the bike paths, or you might get hit by someone". They stopped my son who was a minute behind me to complain about "that incredibly rude man" - ie. me. I was only trying to save them an injury. You can't help some people I guess.

Bikers should definitely stay off footpaths where bikes are not allowed. I certainly do.

Trouble is that the UK is so small, overpopulated and with such tiny areas of "wilderness" that we get shoved together so we have to rub along as best we can.

forgotmyoldpassword

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 20:31:24, 14/11/16 »
http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/barbed-wire-stretched-across-bike-12170972

Another one of these stories.  Barbed wire put at throat height on a popular mountain biking route.  Pretty shocking, these people are psychopaths.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy