Author Topic: First time on Snowdon  (Read 7417 times)

Skip

• Veteran Member
Re: First time on Snowdon
« Reply #30 on: 17:41:17, 18/11/16 »
to be honest, I'd avoid Pete's Eats unless you're a fan of weak supermarket instant coffee. And grease.

And queueing. Much over-rated IMO.

Megellen, enjoy your walk.
Skip

snakehips

• Veteran Member
« Reply #31 on: 08:18:52, 19/11/16 »
I was at petes eats earlier in the year and all I fancied was a cup of tea food didn't look up to much I prefer siabod cafe or tyn y coed I know it's further down the road but a lot better  O0
they say that 50 is the new 21 (fingers crossed)

redeye

• Veteran Member
« Reply #32 on: 08:32:21, 19/11/16 »
Was in the Siabod cafe on Monday, very hearty and well recommended.  O0

Megellen

« Reply #33 on: 20:37:50, 20/11/16 »
Hi All,
Had a fantastic weekend in Llanberis.
My daughter made the connection from Bangor and met us at 09.30.
After a quick coffee we started up the Llanberis Path.
I almost gave up going up the approach road!
The path was as described.....a bit of a motorway!
We stopped at Halfway for a £2 cup of tea and set off towards Clogwyn Coch.
We had had snow on the upper levels overnight and a lot of hail which was being compacted underfoot and made the rock steps up to Clogwyn Station very slippery.
My OH was quite nervous about losing her footing particularly in the descent so we took the decision to turn back, just shy of Clogwyn Station.
We got back to Llanberis just in time for the Wales v Japan game (should have stayed on the mountain!).
Grabbed some excellent leek & potato soup in Y Caffè.  Daughter caught bus back to Bangor at 16.45 and we were back in the hotel by 5.
On our descent the mountain rescue helicopter went over towards the Miners Track and we later learned from people in our hotel that a walker had suffered an epileptic event on The Miners and had to be airlifted off.
It was also relatively clear of ice and snow on the PYG/Miners tracks so we may have been better off heading that way.
All in all, although disappointed we realise the mountain isn't going anywhere and can't wait to go back in Spring next year.
For now, we'll crack on in The Beacons and improve our fitness levels if only to get up that bloody tarmaced approach road in one go!!
Thanks for all the advice.

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #34 on: 12:12:04, 21/11/16 »
It's quite easy to skip the horrid tarmac road approach.
On the main road leaving Llanberis, just after you pass the final entrance into the Royal Victoria Hotel,(the one nearest to the chapel on your way towards Pen Y Pass on your left hand side) you will see opposite on the other side of the road, a small entrance with large stones, and a sign please asking people not to park there.

Just by the large gate on your immediate right, you will see a style leading into the forest.

Follow this snaking twisty path for around half a mile, on very easy ground, and you will eventually arrive right behind the cafe, at the top of that awful tarmac road.

Its an alternative route that many visitors trying to climb Snowdon, simply do not know about, and it saves around ten minutes of walking time, and cuts out all that nasty bit of tarmac as far as the cafe.

Sorry to hear you had to turn back at Clogwyn Station, but on my way home Saturday evening, looking towards Snowdon from Roman Bridge, the whole mountain looked ever so intimidating.

At least you know what to expect, on your return journey next year, and now know how to avoid the tarmac nightmare.
« Last Edit: 12:16:04, 21/11/16 by Dyffryn Ardudwy »

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy