Author Topic: How do you clean and store your Hydration bladder?  (Read 5544 times)

Bhod

• Veteran Member
I've always used Camelbaks in the past but have recently started using Osprey hydration packs.   Unfortunately this is the second one that has failed on me, through I  think, the cleaning and storage of it.   After use I've always refilled and rinsed them through with warm water, then refilled and popped a Milton sterilising tablet in making sure I let the solution run through the tube and mouthpiece.   I've noticed some discolouration to the bladders and subsequently a small split has appeared on the seam rendering them useless.   

Do you think it could be the Milton that's at fault, weakening the bladders for some reason?  What would you suggest for cleaning and storage in future?
I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake.

forgotmyoldpassword

• Veteran Member
Re: How do you clean and store your Hydration bladder?
« Reply #1 on: 11:25:02, 29/11/16 »
I've always used Camelbaks in the past but have recently started using Osprey hydration packs.   Unfortunately this is the second one that has failed on me, through I  think, the cleaning and storage of it.   After use I've always refilled and rinsed them through with warm water, then refilled and popped a Milton sterilising tablet in making sure I let the solution run through the tube and mouthpiece.   I've noticed some discolouration to the bladders and subsequently a small split has appeared on the seam rendering them useless.   

Do you think it could be the Milton that's at fault, weakening the bladders for some reason?  What would you suggest for cleaning and storage in future?

I've had zero issues using Platypus' Big Zip series by simply cleaning it out and making sure the tube is 'blown out', then cleaning the mouth piece.  I usually run hot water through it prior to use, but not boiling due to the risk of damage.

I have heard the best thing to do is to clean them out, empty the tube then store them in a plastic bag in the freezer.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 12:01:52, 29/11/16 »
You can get a cleaning kit comprising a long thin brush for the tube and a larger version for the bladder. I give mine an occasional rinse with dilute Milton if I think it needs it, otherwise I just rinse it out after use, taking care to disassemble and clean the mouthpiece  then hang it to dry with the lid off before storing it in the freezer with the mouthpiece bits inside the bladder so I don't lose them.
Solvitur Ambulando

Bhod

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 12:47:28, 29/11/16 »
What's puzzling is the discolouration of the vinyl of the bladder and the same sort of split along the seam edge though, they only ever have water or water and a milton tablet in them so I'm at a loss as to why they've failed.  I have one more Osprey in reserve if that fails then it's back to Camelbak for me I think.

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 13:08:34, 29/11/16 »
Ive never bothered cleaning them, there are actually more germs and bugs in everyday food that we consume, than a hydration bladder that looks a bit discoloured.
As for maintaining them, i ensure they are stored as flat as possible so that the nylon material does not become disformed over time, and that's about it.
We live in a society too hell bent on destroying germs and bugs, that's why certain bacteria have become immune to all the antibiotics and treatments we have developed to destroy them.

gary m

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 10:25:23, 02/12/16 »
i just wash it out with warm soapy water rinse it and put it in the freezer, i have never had a problem in years
you have 1 life live it

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 13:02:10, 02/12/16 »
What's puzzling is the discolouration of the vinyl of the bladder and the same sort of split along the seam edge though, they only ever have water or water and a milton tablet in them so I'm at a loss as to why they've failed.  I have one more Osprey in reserve if that fails then it's back to Camelbak for me I think.
Milton is in effect a bleaching/oxidising agent similar in action to Domestos. Prolonged contact with the bladder seams my not be good for them but provided you use it in concentrations recommended on the packet and rinse it off after use then there should not be a problem especially if you clean the bladder as soon as possible after use rather than leaving it laying around for a while so that a bacterial film does not form and either store it in the freezer or thoroughly dry then you should not have a problem
Solvitur Ambulando

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 14:03:44, 02/12/16 »

I agree it may be the Milton tablets that are causing the discolouration but I wouldn't have thought it would cause damage to the seams.

This may be worth a read http://www.ospreypacks.com/user_manuals/OM_Hydration_S16_ENG.pdf

It's pretty obvious they're trying to sell you the Osprey Cleaning Kit and want you to use their own cleaning tablets.

Glyno

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 14:28:57, 02/12/16 »
rinse and store in the freezer.

Bhod

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 14:38:04, 02/12/16 »
I agree it may be the Milton tablets that are causing the discolouration but I wouldn't have thought it would cause damage to the seams.

This may be worth a read http://www.ospreypacks.com/user_manuals/OM_Hydration_S16_ENG.pdf

It's pretty obvious they're trying to sell you the Osprey Cleaning Kit and want you to use their own cleaning tablets.

Thanks for that, will give the freezer option a trial in future rather than using Milton tablets on my remaining Osprey bladder.  Have just ordered a Camelbak Antidote and Arete 18 from this post to keep in reserve -

A bargain for anyone looking for a bladder.

A 2 Litre Cambelbak Antidote bladder AND a 16 litre day pack, for £20!!!!!

https://www.sportsshoes.com/product/cam17/camelbak-arete-18-backpack/

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 16:55:12, 02/12/16 »
The discolouration of the bladder could be down to the development of a bacterial film or mould if the bladder is stored damp at room temperature.  It happened to me once when I forgot to follow my cleaning regime and left it to fester when I shouldn't have. If so a gentle scrub with a cleaning brush should shift it.  The film came away easily and I followed it with a rinse with Milton.  The problem I find is the Milton has a lingering after-taste that becomes apparent on the next walk, especially from the tube, so I only use it sparingly, Normally a hot water rinse, shake dry and freeze works for day to day.  By the way, it you freeze it, leave the top off, if can be a .... to unscrew if you forget to defrost it and any water in the threads freezes.
Solvitur Ambulando

Matto

« Reply #11 on: 17:05:43, 02/12/16 »
I've never cleaned mine with anything at all but then I only ever have water in it. I normally empty anything that is left, stuff some kitchen roll in there for 24hrs or so to dry it out then store in the freezer.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 17:24:26, 02/12/16 »
I've never cleaned mine with anything at all but then I only ever have water in it. I normally empty anything that is left, stuff some kitchen roll in there for 24hrs or so to dry it out then store in the freezer.
I followed a similar approach until I gave mine a deep inspection.  Apart from something small but slimy chuckling away in the bottom of the bag, stripping the bite valve revealed Darwin in action as there were clearly new species evolving from the bacteria back flushed from my mouth.  Either that or the plastic was spontaneously changing colour from a cheery red to black.
Solvitur Ambulando

Bhod

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 19:24:34, 02/12/16 »
The discolouration definately wasn't bacterial or mould growth but a change to the colour of the vinyl of the bladder itself, from a transparent opaque to an almost orangey opaque, hey ho, both bladders are now no more in any case but think I will give the Milton a miss on this one one and subsequent ones.

SteveCRunner

« Reply #14 on: 14:30:09, 07/12/16 »
I think the flavouring used in certain additives for hydration, e.g., Nuun effervescent salt tablets, can discolour the plastic (harmlessly). I could be wrong.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy