Author Topic: Recommendation for an outdoor gear shop  (Read 785 times)

Innominate Man

• Veteran Member
Recommendation for an outdoor gear shop
« on: 00:27:59, 05/12/16 »
I meant to post about this a while ago - as I came across a shop recently that I had never seen before but will be one I go back to in future after my first look around it. The shop is in Filey, North Yorkshire and called Cammish Outdoors. I think it is a family firm and in the small, local, independent mould. I first saw it when it was closed so only had chance to look in the windows. Months later, when next at the coast, it was open and I was interested to see if what they had inside was as good as I'd presumed. It is everything the slickly marketed 'multiples' aren't - a very old fashioned window display that looks like something I would have done. But go inside and take a look. Who wants anything slick ? - when a place like this sells decent gear, by good manufacturers at reasonable prices. I was pleased to see some serious manufacturers gear stocked and a good number of oddities - that you only find in places like this. There seems to be about four separate rooms that are of the 'aladdin's cave' variety. I have to hold my hand up and confess I didn't buy anything but when I next need something I will visit them first. If you 'appen to be in the area, why not take a look - there may just be something there you fancy that you don't see anywhere else.
Only a hill but all of life to me, up there between the sunset and the sea. 
Geoffrey Winthrop Young

fernman

• Veteran Member
Re: Recommendation for an outdoor gear shop
« Reply #1 on: 09:08:36, 05/12/16 »
There used to be one like that on Uxbridge Road in Hillingdon, I think it was called Bartletts. It was a double fronted shop, half of it was for walking and camping, the other half was for caravanning and motor homes, while somewhere they crammed in a bit for canoeing. The place was an absolute treasure trove of different brands and bits and pieces that you would never find the likes of in places like Blacks and Cotswold. It wasn't in a major shopping area, just a couple of local parades, the last place you would expect to find such a shop, and it was a bit out of the way for me to get to, but it was always my first choice. Sadly it's long gone.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy