Author Topic: Total Newbie wanting help planning charity walk  (Read 767 times)

chris190vvti

Hi all, Hope I've found the right place to help me plan a 38 mile charity walk in May. I'll post more details later but basics are that 10 year ago i was treated for cancer at the age of 32, so to mark the anniversary I've decided to walk from my home to the hospital that treated me and back hopefully in approx 12 hours (time really doesn't matter but id like to do it in one day). I'm not a walker but am reasonably fit so is it possible? The route is flat and on pavement so its not really a pretty walk but that's  not really the point just want to raise some money for cancer research and the hospitals own charity.
Thanks in advance :)

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
Re: Total Newbie wanting help planning charity walk
« Reply #1 on: 10:34:49, 30/12/16 »
When I walked the GR10 in France last year I also used the occasion to raise money for a Prostate Cancer charity. I used the 'justgiving' site which seemed to work well.

MikeW

« Reply #2 on: 11:32:41, 30/12/16 »
Start buying, or deciding if you already have, the kit you are going to use and using it.
You need to know for example that your boots (make sure you are wearing the same pair of socks you are going to wear) aren't going to give you a blister after 5 miles, Your waterproof coat really is waterproof etc.
Most people would make 3mph on fairly level tarmac. A fit, regular walker might make 4mph (but probably not after 30 miles) but you aren't covering any distance if you're sat down having a rest or eating lunch.
Download ViewRanger and have a practice with it. See how long your phone battery lasts while using it.

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 12:54:50, 30/12/16 »
You'll need to do plenty of training if you're going to walk 38 miles in one go. I'm more used to multi day walks rather than one long one, though I'm sure a lot of the same principles apply.  If you don't do any walking at all, I would start now by doing shorter walks of say 5 or 6 miles and then build up.  If you need to break boots/shoes in, wear those. Wear whatever rucksack you will be using, packed with the weight so you are used to it. Others will be able to advise better on distance you need to be able to do, but I would have thought you would need to do several 20 mile plus walks before you tackle 38 miles, but not too much in the week before.

chris190vvti

« Reply #4 on: 13:10:34, 30/12/16 »
Thanks for the replys, some food for thought. I'll take this over to one of the main boards now, which one would be best to post on?

Thanks again Chris

harland

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 13:58:22, 30/12/16 »
Apart from other people's advice, I would restate what I was told on my first long distance walk - the Pennine Way.  I met a guy at the start and he asked how I felt about the challenge ahead, I replied that I hoped that my feet were going to be OK so that I would finish it.  He responded that it isn't your feet that will decide, it is your head. Without much training I did find it a big challenge but he was right, it was my head that got me through to the finish each night and to the end despite my feet.  However now I know to look after my feet better so that my head isn't so much of an issue now!

MikeW

« Reply #6 on: 22:21:52, 31/12/16 »
Depending on how confident you are navigating the route you may want to do some of your training by walking the route before hand in shorter sections. Especially any sections you may end up walking at the start or end of the walk in the dark.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy