Author Topic: I'm planning to walk length of GB. Porthcurno to John O'Groats  (Read 1153 times)

santojay

Hello Fellow Walkers:

My name is Santosh, and I am from San Francisco. I am planning a solitary walk - taking 3 months off to walk the length of the United Kingdom, from Porthcurno in Cornwall to John O'Groats in Scotland. I intend to make this trip from April 15th - July 15th, 2017.

Let me start by saying that I've never ever done anything like this in my life. I've had the strong desire to go on a long, solitary walk that criss-crossed a country or continent. I wanted the meditative space that one hopes to get from a long, arduous walk, and the personal achievement of going across an entire country or continent. Given my responsibilities as a husband, and father of young children, a continent-wide walk was unfortunately out of the question. It had to be a country.

I originally picked Japan. Mainly for its beauty, landscapes, unique culture and relative safety. Japan was my sole focus for 3 years. But when it came time to plan the finer details of the walk, I had second thoughts about duration of the proposed trip. You see, the walk would take me away from my family for 6 months, and would've been a rather tough proposition to negotiate with my wife, who was lukewarm about the whole endeavor from the beginning. Also, one would face major hurdles in Japan, getting by on a day-to-day basis, not knowing as much as a sentence of decent Japanese. I needed to be able to communicate and bond with the people I meet along the way. 

In my desire for another country with beautiful landscapes, and pretty countrysides, I settled on the UK. I also happen to know the place a bit. I spent 2 years there for my masters degree, and had a grand old time. There is more diversity there than Japan, and I feel like I understand the people a lot better than, or as much as, my adopted home in the US. (I'm originally from South Asia, and am settled in the States for a while)

This quest of walking the length of Great Britain brings me to this forum. I am yet to start the planning process. I have a rough idea of the dates of the trip, but that too can be moved depending on my research etc.

Here are some first-order questions I have for this forum.

1. How long will it take me to make this walk? I am am fit and in my early forties. I can do about 15-21 miles a day depending on incline of terrain.  
2. Beauty and tractability of terrain taking primacy, what is the best route for this journey? The most efficient route is 812 miles. But I prefer beauty over efficiency as long as I can pack it all to within 2.5 - 3 months. This here is the 'efficient' route according to our fine friends at Google Inc. I don't imagine all of this to be beautiful and inspiring? If so, can someone recommend another route that is beautiful, that would get me to John O'Groats?
3. What sections, cities or towns do **I have to** try and make a deviation for? Alternatively what are the places to try and avoid *at all costs*? :)
4. While I plan to camp as much of the trip as I possibly can - meaning pitching a one-man tent, on public land or open space, at the end of my walk each day - I would like to know if I may be breaching laws or common etiquette in doing so? What is your advice on this? Do you prefer I stay in inns as much as I can, and camp as less as possible?
5. Is there anyone on this forum who has attempted anything of this nature in England or elsewhere, who can give me practical advice on planning, logistics, gear, do's, don'ts etc? I would love to establish a connection with each of you over email and take this conversation offline.
6. Are there any books you would recommend about others who've walked the British isles?

If you've read this far, and have the experience to advise me, I thank you for your time. Any advice or help is deeply appreciated.

Best

@santojay

Islandplodder

• Veteran Member
If you put something like 'walking from lands end to john o' groats' into your search engine you should find a few blogs written by people who have done this walk and would give you an idea of what is involved.  There are a couple of books, I think one is a Cicerone Guide, which give ideas for routes, mainly linking up existing trails.  You could also try the Long Distance Walkers Association website. 
Good luck with it, it's something I have always fancied doing. 

mananddog

• Veteran Member
There are plenty of people on here who have done John O Groats to Lands' End - me included so you will not go short of help and information. I have written up my account of my 2014 JOG to LE so you might get some information on routes and places to stay. See the Travels with Midge blogspot.

The shortest route is not the best and will involve much road walking. the Cicerone book by Andy Robinson is helpful and gives a good route. I made up my own but followed Andy's route about 50% of the way. My route was 1200 miles and took 2 months. I backpacked and stayed in B&Bs occasionally. I was accompanied by my dog so I was carrying food and tent space for 2.
« Last Edit: 07:56:18, 04/01/17 by mananddog »

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy