Author Topic: Sleeping Bag  (Read 7004 times)

yorksgal

• Veteran Member
Sleeping Bag
« on: 21:47:03, 06/01/17 »
ok everyone, I'm looking for a sleeping bag as I really need to get back into camping therefore I'm needing one that will keep really nice and warm from spring up to through autum.

What are your recommendations bearing in mind I don't have much surplus money.  O0

sparnel

• Veteran Member
Re: Sleeping Bag
« Reply #1 on: 16:30:21, 07/01/17 »
Hi Ruth  -   I've had a Rab sleeping bag for years and its really good. Its filled with down and was quite expensive when bought new.  I think the next one I go for will be a Rab three seasons one, synthetic filled.
Sparnel

snakehips

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 16:38:31, 07/01/17 »
Hi Ruth try sumiteer outdoor gear theirs are well rated and pretty cheap I'm thinking of getting one myself  O0
they say that 50 is the new 21 (fingers crossed)

NeilC

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 17:34:18, 07/01/17 »
Hi Ruth try sumiteer outdoor gear theirs are well rated and pretty cheap I'm thinking of getting one myself  O0

Are they? I read some.pretty average reports they are heavy rebranded Chinese knockoffs with a lot of feather in them.

Someone linked to a Blacks 3 season bag down bag for £80 last week in this forum. That's a good deal.

Murphy

« Reply #4 on: 18:55:28, 07/01/17 »
Don't forget women's sleeping bags are constructed differently to men's.....in good quality bags anyway.........

pmerryman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 18:57:49, 07/01/17 »
Alpkit's bags get great reviews. https://www.alpkit.com/sleeping-bags
Paul

snakehips

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 20:12:46, 07/01/17 »
Chris Townsend from this months tgo didn't rate them badly  O0
they say that 50 is the new 21 (fingers crossed)

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 20:18:32, 07/01/17 »
Chris Townsend from this months tgo didn't rate them badly  O0

You won't find a magazine rating anything badly. Nevertheless, several people on here do recommend that brand.

pmerryman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 20:31:18, 07/01/17 »
I believe you get a lot of bag for your money. I only have their original mountain ghost for summer months, so can't comment on their down bags, but only heard good things.
Paul

alewife

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 20:43:14, 07/01/17 »
Hi Ruth, I have a vango latitude 200, which I use with a liner if its cold (plus toasty jim jams and bedsocks!). Its synthetic, probably not the lightest (but the I use a VW Golf to carry it, rather than a backpack ;D). I think you can pick them up for about £40. Theres also a latitude 300 and 400 which are longer season and around that sort of money.
Alewife

...beware of the bull!

quixoticgeek

« Reply #10 on: 00:59:16, 08/01/17 »

I really like my Mountain Hardware Lamina 35. Lovely bag for spring->autumn.

J
--
Http://b.42q.eu/ - Beer, Bikes and Backpacking.

GRAHAM G

« Reply #11 on: 08:31:23, 08/01/17 »
ok everyone, I'm looking for a sleeping bag as I really need to get back into camping therefore I'm needing one that will keep really nice and warm from spring up to through autum.

What are your recommendations bearing in mind I don't have much surplus money.  O0

I've ended up now owning several bags due to small budget. For backpacking I've had to splash the cash for functional excellence. For camping, where you don't have to carry your kit far there are many many choices. Excellent all rounder "ARCTIC MK2" army surplus websites. Even comes with it's own bivvy to keep you extra dry. Around £60

Murphy

« Reply #12 on: 17:01:32, 08/01/17 »
I own many sleeping bags from super expensive to the not so expensive, some for backpacking others for static camping (four seasons).  If you are not carrying it in your backpack and using a vehicle to camp, then surprisingly fishermans sleeping bags are extremely warm, functional, plenty of space and cheap...

quixoticgeek

« Reply #13 on: 17:16:40, 08/01/17 »

Just remember when buying a sleeping bag. You can have Warm, Cheap, or Light, but you have to choose upto 2.

J
--
Http://b.42q.eu/ - Beer, Bikes and Backpacking.

MudMagnet

« Reply #14 on: 11:06:45, 09/01/17 »
I wanted something cheap, light and warm. Took a punt on the Aegismax ultra light after reading some reviews. Used it quite a lot and not been disappointed. Yet to see how it stands up to a cold night, which I will try out at the end of the month, but been really impressed with it. Use it as a duvet more than a bag though. Point to note, it doesn't have a good, which I really like. Never been able to get on with hoods on sleeping bags, prefer my wolly hat :)

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy