Author Topic: GPX files  (Read 2698 times)

paulwells

GPX files
« on: 12:47:23, 13/01/17 »
Hi all,
New to the forum but stumbled across the site looking for walk routes around the Yorkshire moors.
I have recently purchased my first GPS, a Garmin Dakota 20, when I purchased I was informed that I could load GPX files of walks to it. I do family walks with my wife and 2 young children ( 9  & 6 ) and keeping my youngest entertained is a task all by itself. We thought that finding a route and letting her direct us around using the Garmin would help keep her focus, along with a little geocaching here and there. The issue I have is I am struggling to find a site that I can download the files from. I have been able to print off PDFs and follow those routes but really wanted to try and learn how to use the GPS, Please could anyone point me in the direction of a site where I may be able to find the downloadable files and give it a go?

Many thanks in advance.

Paul.

jimbob

• Veteran Member
Re: GPX files
« Reply #1 on: 13:27:00, 13/01/17 »
Here is a starter, all self explanatory, I hope.

http://www.gps-routes.co.uk/
Too little, too late, too bad......

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 13:28:37, 13/01/17 »
Well there are a number of places with pre-planned routes if that's what you're after?  Just try googling walking routes.

If you want to download geocaches go here

https://www.geocaching.com/play

There's a forum there where you can get help with geocaching issues.
Where there's a will ...

happyhiker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 14:31:09, 13/01/17 »
Try my site. All the walk information and GPX downloads are free and there are several walks in the North York Moors.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 15:11:59, 13/01/17 »
... and what he said  ^^^^^^^ O0
Where there's a will ...

agentmancuso

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 18:46:10, 13/01/17 »
You might find something under Members' Shared GPX Files here.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 18:52:38, 13/01/17 »
You might find something under Members' Shared GPX Files here.

Indeed you might, 221 of them are mine.  :)
See also www.gpsies.com for another source of files
Solvitur Ambulando

paulwells

« Reply #7 on: 12:39:23, 16/01/17 »
This is fantastic, thanks to everyone, we have managed to find some amazing walks on here and also managed to print off the pdfs to allow us to follow the route. We did 2 walks this weekend ( Beningbrough hall 4.1miles and roseberry topping 7.7 miles )

Im struggling like hell to load the gpx files onto mu desktop though, everytime I try to save them they are coming through as xml files instead of gpx files or it just shows me a screen full of text. Might have to venture onto youtube to see how it is done.

Thanks again.

happyhiker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 14:32:37, 16/01/17 »
This is fantastic, thanks to everyone, we have managed to find some amazing walks on here and also managed to print off the pdfs to allow us to follow the route. We did 2 walks this weekend ( Beningbrough hall 4.1miles and roseberry topping 7.7 miles )

Im struggling like hell to load the gpx files onto mu desktop though, everytime I try to save them they are coming through as xml files instead of gpx files or it just shows me a screen full of text. Might have to venture onto youtube to see how it is done.

Thanks again.

If for the .gpx files you get a page of XML script, save the file to a folder first (see "File/Save as" from top left of your browser or right click and "save page as" - choose a name), then open it with your software.If you have no suitable software,GPX files can be uploaded to an amazing website Where's The Path where you can see the route on a 1:50000 OS map side by side with the equivalent Google satellite photo. You can also upload GPX files to Bing Maps at 1:25,000 scale once you register with a Microsoft (e.g. Hotmail) account. See also  Walkhighlands(GPSPlanner) and  EasyGPS.  

paulwells

« Reply #9 on: 15:22:36, 16/01/17 »
This is fantastic, I was still struggling but an office worker informed me I need to use google chrome and it would let me save it.....hey presto, I now have files on my desktop to load onto my Dakota.

Thank you so much for your help, your website looks great, I shall be trying the hole of horcum route this Friday.

Thanks again.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 15:46:19, 16/01/17 »
If the Dakota is similar to the Etrex (sussamb would know), you should also be able to import gpx files if you have garmin's Basecamp installed on your PC. You will then be able to transfer gpx and map files to and from your gps.
Solvitur Ambulando

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 16:03:45, 16/01/17 »
Pretty much all recent Garmin handhelds are the same and all allow importation of .gpx files  O0
Where there's a will ...

paulwells

« Reply #12 on: 16:37:14, 17/01/17 »
Still having bother, not sure what I am doing wrong. When the file is on my desktop as a gpx file is says in properties that it is only 11.2KB, then when I load it onto my Dakota it shows the route but with 0 miles or information. :(

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 17:29:44, 17/01/17 »
Have you got Basecamp installed?
Solvitur Ambulando

paulwells

« Reply #14 on: 13:01:13, 18/01/17 »
Have you got Basecamp installed?

Yes I have that installed.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy