Author Topic: Expected Gear lives?  (Read 5496 times)

pauldawes

• Veteran Member
Expected Gear lives?
« on: 15:15:03, 13/01/17 »
As I plodded from Hathersage to Abney and back today, pondered on subject of how long we can reasonably expect various types of walking kit to last. To some extent it most likely impacts how sensible it is to spend "chunky" money on kit? (By that I mean that it may appear bonkers to pay 50 quid to buy a superb compass, rather than pay 20 quid to get a good one...but it might well make sense to get best one you can if you expect it to last around 20 to 30 years...and you might end up only buying two in your "walking life".)

Anyway here are my own guesses, for others to "shoot down in flames":-

Boots: 1000 to 2000 miles (Consider boots worn out by mileage, rather than the passing years.)

Jackets 7 to 10 years

Trousers 5 to 7 years

Compass 20 years

GPS 10 years

Socks 3 to 5 years

Mid-layers 10 to 15 years

Base layers 10 to 15 years

All guesses, so very happy to listen to "debate" where others feel my guesses are way out.

Mumf

Re: Expected Gear lives?
« Reply #1 on: 17:36:21, 13/01/17 »
It all depends on how often you use your " kit " . Every reply is likely to be different but also I think it depends on the level of vanity some people suffer from .

Generally speaking , I think your observations are about right but if you spend 7 days a week outside like I do , then the 'years ' can quite easily become  'months' .  O0

My philosophy on gear is the same as it is on vehicles ....I spend as little as is necessary to do the job .
I buy most if not all my outdoor walking gear off EBay and when it's knackered I sling it in the bin .

Similarly I buy all my vehicles from auctions and when they can't pass the MOT or it's not viable to do so , then they go to the scrap yard and I get £200 .

I don't do brand names ...the only exception is Salomon footwear and my dogs .  O0

My dogs are the most important aspect to my life as the provide me with the most pleasure . My trousers or jacket do not . I can always stroke my dogs , but if caught stroking my jacket then I might need more urgent medical assistance ... :o :-\

A dog will love you for what you are ...and not for the clothes you wear .

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 17:53:28, 13/01/17 »
Boots: no idea how many miles they do, I don't add it up.

Jackets I have cheep, lightweight for spring summer which last perhaps 3-4 years and heavy expensive for winter which is probably 8 years old and still going strong.

Trousers at least 5 to 7 years

Compass just added up, mine is probably nearer 30 years old than 20

GPS my first is about 5 years old perhaps

Socks 5 years+ for outer but less for inner

Mid-layers 15 years about I would think

Base layers probably 10 years or less

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 18:04:54, 13/01/17 »
What's more annoying is how long some stuff does last ... If only it lasted just a year or so then I could really enjoy my trips to Cotswold etc  ;D
Where there's a will ...

Cairncamper

« Reply #4 on: 18:08:33, 13/01/17 »
There's an interesting thread on the Backpackinglight forums, by a hiker who pretty much lived outdoors for 4 years, doing the Triple Crown.

She's wrote down no end of bits of gear she used, and how long it lasted after constant use, and what all the issues she had were with certain pieces.

Can't find the bloody link to it but it's worth a hunt and read.

Btw, I think it's pretty pointless saying "so and so lasted so and so years", as because we have no idea how much you used it in a year.

I mean people will say a down bag lasts 20-30 years, when this woman was using top of the range down bags, which where lasting her 4-5 months of constant use everyday, or whatever. So in her case, less than a year, not 30.

« Last Edit: 18:12:02, 13/01/17 by Cairncamper »

Islandplodder

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 19:43:36, 13/01/17 »
I used to reckon boots lasted 1000 miles and another 500 comfortable but a bit leaky. So I am a bit peeved that the current Lowa renegades lasted a year, and I think about 700 miles before reaching the comfortable but a bit leaky stage.
I have never made base layers last that long, but then I like merino wool, and wear them almost every day through the winter, even round the house. I feel the cold, and it's cheaper than keeping the heating on full blast.  Mind you, now I think about it I have an icebreaker base layer that I must have had about 4 years and it's still going strong, and a Rab meco one that's well into it's 3rd year.  It's the cheaper versions that seem to give up sooner.

Cairn hopper

« Reply #6 on: 20:41:16, 13/01/17 »
My gear seems to last me for ever. I think the main reason is I only wear it when I'm actually hill walking and I don't get the opportunity to walk enough to wear things out.

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 20:53:59, 13/01/17 »
It all depends how careful your are from day one.
I still own and regularly use a Buffalo Windshirt bought way back in 1984, its terribly faded, but all the zips are in A1 condition, and the Pertex is in excellent condition, with no tears.
I also occasionally wear a 1991 Mountain Equipment Kongur GoreTex jacket, that i paid a very healthy £167 for (ive kept the receipt).
The jacket leaks terribly, no doubt because the Gortex membrane has long past its sell by date, but the jacket looks amazing for its age.

Some walkers are rough with their clothing, resulting in a poor shelf life, whilst other's treat their clothing well.

I am sure there are a few other thirty year old original Buffalo windshirts hovering about, but treat your clothing with respect, and they can last a considerable time.

Cairn hopper

« Reply #8 on: 21:52:21, 13/01/17 »

Some walkers are rough with their clothing, resulting in a poor shelf life, whilst other's treat their clothing well.

This made me chuckle. Some walkers are rough with their clothing..... I just walk in mine lol.

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 11:45:37, 14/01/17 »
Everytime i go out into the hills, i carefully pack all my chosen gear into Karrimor drybags.
All the clothing is neatly folded, and given maximum protection from the elements.
Even when that item of clothing is used during the walk, it is never just stuffed back into my sack any old how, its treated with respect, remembering how much the things cost to buy.

All this to most of you, will appear over the top, a bit excessive, but when certain items have cost several hundred quid to buy, respect it, and treat it well.

Manufacturers give their products a certain shelf life, and some walkers complain that their jacket or waterproof trousers only lasted a year or two.

If you abuse your clothing, throw it around, stuff it into your sack with little respect, then do not expect it to last long.

Flimsy Pertex windshirts were never designed to last over thirty years of continual use, but it all depends on how you look after your clothing.

The same could be said about boot care, look after your boots well, and they can certainly last far longer than your average walker.

I value items ive paid good money for, treat them with little respect, and their shelf life will be limited.
« Last Edit: 11:50:40, 14/01/17 by Dyffryn Ardudwy »

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 14:41:46, 14/01/17 »

This made me chuckle. Some walkers are rough with their clothing..... I just walk in mine lol.

Me too, I wonder if those who fold their clothing ever walk in them, or simply store them in cupboards along with the receipts  ;)
Where there's a will ...

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 15:20:17, 14/01/17 »
Well, ive just returned home from a very cold and wet holiday opposite Loch Lomond.
Did quite a bit of walking up until last Wednesday, when the weather really turned nasty.
Not quite expecting such harsh weather, i had no ice axe or crampons, so visited Glasgow on Thursday instead.

I had taken suitable clothing for cold weather, but the snow outside the Tarbet hotel was sticking and getting too deep for someone with no knowledge of the area.

On Wednedsay evening the coach operator was in continual dialogue with head office, on whether to return early, as the snow was very heavy indeed ,over a foot deep in places, not ideal conditions for a heavy coach full of passengers.

That entire weeks holiday, staying in Tarbet, cost a very reasonable £99 with Shearings coaches.

You see, i do use my equipment on a regular basis, but like everything else, if you treat it with respect, it will last a lot longer than if its thrown around or mistreated.

And no, i did not take any photographs, i just returned with great memories of a few days walking in great Scottish countryside.
« Last Edit: 15:23:20, 14/01/17 by Dyffryn Ardudwy »

pauldawes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 17:41:46, 14/01/17 »
I used to reckon boots lasted 1000 miles and another 500 comfortable but a bit leaky. So I am a bit peeved that the current Lowa renegades lasted a year, and I think about 700 miles before reaching the comfortable but a bit leaky stage.
I have never made base layers last that long, but then I like merino wool, and wear them almost every day through the winter, even round the house. I feel the cold, and it's cheaper than keeping the heating on full blast.  Mind you, now I think about it I have an icebreaker base layer that I must have had about 4 years and it's still going strong, and a Rab meco one that's well into it's 3rd year.  It's the cheaper versions that seem to give up sooner.

First base layers I bought when restarting walking about 10'years ago where Helly Hansen LIFA. bought three pairs. Like you I use them in everyday life as well as walking, and for five years bought no other base layers...they are still use-able.

But, in general, I agree my first posting did not make enough allowance for type of use and extent of use. Nowadays, I go out fairly often....usually four times a week for 6 to 10 milers...but rarely day after day, and never ultra-long days. Never scramble...well not intentionally...and I'd guess scrambling really does reduce jacket and trouser life.

So given my fairly sedate walking guess my kit is likely to last a bit longer than a "typical" walker on this site. (Is there such a being as a "typical" walker on this site?")
« Last Edit: 17:45:56, 14/01/17 by pauldawes »

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 17:50:47, 14/01/17 »
That's certainly true.
Heavy abrasion over jagged rocks, can certainly lead to premature wear of quality clothing and footwear.
It all depends on the type of walking you undertake, certain outdoor activities are more heavy on clothing than others, but it still comes down to how well you maintain your kit.

If you do not look after your clothing, then it will not look after you.

Like a car, if it never receives regular careful maintenance, then it will eventually let you down, sooner than later.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 19:58:30, 14/01/17 »
And no, i did not take any photographs, i just returned with great memories of a few days walking in great Scottish countryside.

I'm amazed given your numerous comments about cameras and go pros.  We're all waiting to see some lovely memories of your walks  O0
Where there's a will ...

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy