Author Topic: Howden Moors - Crow Stones, Outer Edge, Margery Hill and Howden Edge  (Read 2659 times)

adalard

• Veteran Member

Evening all,

For various reasons I've not got as much walking done this past few months as I would have liked and I've done even less with the blog but here's a few pictures from my latest trip report. It was a circular walk from Fairholmes and took me up onto some of the less-frequented areas of the Dark Peak. There are some fantastic locations and stunning views up on the moors above the Upper Derwent Valley.

Image may contain: mountain, sky, cloud, plant, tree, grass, outdoor and nature
Howden Dam

Image may contain: mountain, sky, grass, outdoor and nature
Horse Stone Naze at the head of the valley.

Image may contain: sky, mountain, cloud, outdoor, nature and water
Looking south from Crow Stones Edge.

Image may contain: sky, mountain, cloud, outdoor and nature
Looking north from Howden Edge.

As always, the full trip report and more pictures are here:

http://www.occasionallylost.com/2017/01/howden-moor.html

Cheers,    :)

Mel

• Veteran Member
I really enjoyed reading that adalard.  It's reminded me it's been far too long since I've been to the Peak District.. must rectify that.

Thanks for posting it  O0

adalard

• Veteran Member
Cheers, Mel  O0

It was somewhere I'd wanted to explore for years and it really lived up to expectations.   :)

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
Great photos and TR adalard   :)   It's an area of the Peak District where I haven't done any walking.  The scenery of the Derwent valley looks especially lovely.

adalard

• Veteran Member
Thanks, Dovegirl.  :)

Yes, the scenery around the Upper Derwent Valley is lovely. I've walked along both sides of the reservoirs but I've never done the full circuit in one go. It comes in at just under 10 miles I think. You can hire bikes at Fairholmes and do it that way, which sounds like it would be fun - if I can remember how to ride a bike!  :)

pleb

• Veteran Member
Lovely pics O0
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

harry_keogh

Great post!  O0

It's a fantastic place to walk with so many route variations.

redeye

• Veteran Member
Never really been to that part of the peaks. Enjoyed that cheers O0

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
Lovely photos adalard O0  One of my favourite parts of the Peaks for walking :D
***Happiness is only a smile away***

adalard

• Veteran Member
Cheers Harry, Redeye and Sunnydale  :)

Never really been to that part of the peaks. Enjoyed that cheers O0

I'd definitely recommend it. As Harry and Sunnydale said, it's a great area to explore. Plus, the tops tend to be less busy than some other locations in the Dark Peak.

Penygadair

• Veteran Member
Hi Adalard. Your TR and Harry's have whetted my appetite to see more of the Dark Peak later this year.

adalard

• Veteran Member
Hi Adalard. Your TR and Harry's have whetted my appetite to see more of the Dark Peak later this year.

That's nice to hear, thank you. When you do make plans to get out there, I'd put Alport Castles at or near the top of your list - it really is an amazing location and quite easily accessible from Fairholmes car park.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy