Author Topic: Friends of Blencathra.  (Read 9648 times)

Cairn hopper

Re: Friends of Blencathra.
« Reply #45 on: 00:48:52, 16/01/17 »
Sorry. I'm absolutely wetting myself laughing now. It seems Friends of Blencathra have descended into comedy now.

One of the members posted that he felt they should have a referendum on the £6 refund issue. He was politely told no and to go away.

However not deterred he has made two post one to support the £6 charge and one not supporting the charge.

He has then asked the memebers to like the post they most agree with. Most likes wins the referendum.

I like his spirit but I'm sure he is extracting the urine from the situation.

Percy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #46 on: 09:04:26, 16/01/17 »
It's all very sad.

I shall reserve judgement on exactly what has gone wrong until more details are available.

My gut feeling is that this is something started by a small group of people which has got out of hand, as things quickly can on the internet. Started with the very best intentions but now a complete administrative shambles. It will be a massive job simply assembling all the information needed to refund people, I'm not sure things like justgiving are set up to reverse the flow of money easily.

They probably paid lawyers a fair wedge when they were trying to buy the mountain and will now probably have to pay people to sort out the mess.

:(

Lakeland Lorry

« Reply #47 on: 10:06:14, 16/01/17 »

I agree with Percy.   A scheme with good intentions (which I never believed in) has got out of hand.

Lots of info on their website about why they have decided to go with the £6 flat fee, rather than a %.

http://www.friendsofblencathra.org.uk/

And here's a link to the charity record on the Charity Commission website, including their latest accounts:

http://apps.charitycommission.gov.uk/Showcharity/RegisterOfCharities/CharityWithoutPartB.aspx?RegisteredCharityNumber=1157636&SubsidiaryNumber=0

Cairn hopper

« Reply #48 on: 16:39:09, 16/01/17 »
Things now seem to have taken a sinister turn. A former Board memeber part of the Admin team of FOB has just made a very interesting post.

He alleges attempted tax fraud by the owner.

FOB made sure the mountain was a community asset to stop this fraud.

FOB were restricted to “securing the purchase of the Cumbrian mountain, Blencathra, and its future for the public and community.”

FOB went out with there remit and stopped anyone else buying the mountain.

The local news papers knew all along about the fraud etc but have sat on the story in the hope that FOB succeeded in buying the mountain 

The named board memeber left at this point because having stepped outside there remit to stop the fraud the group FOB should have stopped fund raising but they refused too.

It's getting to be quite a saga now.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #49 on: 18:38:19, 16/01/17 »
Oh dear.  Sounds like people are getting a bit twitchy.  I wonder why if everything has been conducted correctly.  Surely there's nothing for the board/committee of FoB to worry about apart from how they are going to reimburse people and utilise any money which can't be reimbursed.  As mentioned in an earlier post, the charity had insurance so that will take care of any administration/solicitor fees  O0

Cairn hopper

« Reply #50 on: 18:42:14, 16/01/17 »
Mel I think the original steering committee are distancing themselves from the board. It's coming out that when FOB found out the sale of the mountain was a fraud and a tax scam they should have walked away. They should have reported there findings and admitted the mountain was never really for sale. More importantly stopped taking people's money.

The trustees kept quiet. The QC kept quiet and the local papers kept quiet all in a hope that the charity would still buy the mountain. Something that this guy is saying was never going to happen.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #51 on: 18:55:21, 16/01/17 »
Aye it was never going to happen because they couldn't raise the asking price.  And what they offered was rejected because it wasn't even close to enough.  It's as simple as that.  All the ambiguity and vague "we haven't been discounted completely from buying the mountain" is a load of codswallop.  NOBODY was discounted from buying the mountain IF they had the money to do so, until it was taken off the market.

Peter

• Veteran Member
« Reply #52 on: 08:59:23, 17/01/17 »
The thing that annoys some of us is the way they belittled anyone who tried to point out that things were not right.
They lied. They sought to deceive. They ridiculed anyone querying why.
They took undue credit for 'hard work', now, when hard work is wanted they are appointing expensive people to do said hard work.
One person was hoping to get an OBE or such out of this..
For the best part of a year they even claimed they were in the legal process of the actual purchase.
Peter
sometimes I fall off the learning curve....
Join: Yorkshire Dales Walking Buddies
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1783012625307

Cairn hopper

« Reply #53 on: 16:44:45, 17/01/17 »
I find it all a bit confusing. As Peter pointed out people are continually saying the worked hard on this.
Reading between the lines they were told nearly two years ago that they would not be able to purchase the mountain. So for nearly two years they have done little or nothing. Now the refunds have to be paid. The hard working ones have left before the hard work has to be done.  :-\

Peter

• Veteran Member
« Reply #54 on: 09:27:00, 18/01/17 »
To be fair they don't say they are or have worked hard. They 'allow' it to be thought.
Members feel they should post and thank them. These members actually haven't a clue, they just feel the need. Sort of Tim nice but dim.
Then others rush in to do likewise, they read the votes of thanks and 'assume'. Those being thanked love it.. (Don't we all)
In a similar way the myth that 'no one ever bought a mountain before' was born. They have of course, it IS just a land transaction.
The press and various people (including his lordships minions) told them it wasn't for sale. They then claimed 'of course it isn't for sale, because WE are buying it'. This crazy logic went on for months, all assertions that it was crazy were met with ridicule. His lordship talking to the press was meaningless because ,of course, the press lie. They wanted it straight from the horses mouth.
At this point they failed to see the next 'whoops' moment. Since they were supposed to be 'negotiating hard behind the scenes' who were they talking to??
Er.. er.. Now a 'secret' is revealed.. his lordship doesn't actually own the mountain after all. They are in discussion with 'trustees'. ok.. but these trustees only meet twice a year to perform devil worship..
But, crazy as it is.. the members swallow it.
On and on..
Now they are charging £6 per donation for a refund. Estimated costs £3,300 to do so. or 5%.. hang on.. you have £250,000 5% is £12,500. & still they don't want to actually admit what is really happening.

Peter

Glyno

• Veteran Member
« Reply #55 on: 13:58:41, 18/01/17 »
To be fair they don't say they are or have worked hard. They 'allow' it to be thought.
Members feel they should post and thank them. These members actually haven't a clue, they just feel the need. Sort of Tim nice but dim.
Then others rush in to do likewise, they read the votes of thanks and 'assume'. Those being thanked love it.. (Don't we all)

reading the above instantly brought to my mind a certain walking forum that recently disappeared - how strange  ::)

similar sentiments maybe

Peter

• Veteran Member
« Reply #56 on: 18:22:39, 18/01/17 »

reading the above instantly brought to my mind a certain walking forum that recently disappeared - how strange  ::)

similar sentiments maybe

I assume the most obvious candidate, I didn't know it had gone.. is someone going to bring me up to date?

Peter

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #57 on: 19:36:06, 18/01/17 »
I assume the most obvious candidate, I didn't know it had gone.. is someone going to bring me up to date?

It's all here Peter  O0

Peter

• Veteran Member
« Reply #58 on: 15:35:59, 19/01/17 »

It's all here Peter  O0

Thanks Mel. Sad on several levels.  :(
Peter

Cairn hopper

« Reply #59 on: 18:58:42, 20/01/17 »
Some of the posts have now been closed to comments  so all has gone quiet on the site.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy