Author Topic: Repairing a rip in nylon  (Read 1889 times)

Mel

• Veteran Member
Repairing a rip in nylon
« on: 00:20:08, 15/01/17 »
I'm annoyed. Mad. Angry.  Fuming, in fact  >:(   >:(   >:(   >:(

My best and most favourite "winter duvet" jacket got snagged on some barbed wire and has a small, half inch rip in it.

This jacket is at least 10 years old and still extremely windproof, warm and breathable although it lost its waterproof-ness a long while ago (despite washing/treating with Nikwax). 

I want to repair it but don't want to stitch through both layers and the insulation between if at all possible.  However, if that's the only way, then so be it. Cosmetically, I don't really care what the repair looks like so long a the rip doesn't get bigger or fray. 

The label says the outer shell (the bit with the rip) is 100% nylon but it's not that shine-y nylon, it's quite soft/matt effect in looks.

Any thoughts and suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Mel  :)

jimbob

• Veteran Member
Re: Repairing a rip in nylon
« Reply #1 on: 00:47:04, 15/01/17 »
Have you thought about a small iron on type patch? Or even using a rubber type gum such as they use for repairing tubes on bikes and sticking on a badge?

My wife repaired a couple of wetbags that I ripped by sewing over a piece of nylon then I spread some silicon sealer over the area thinly, ugly but effective.
Too little, too late, too bad......

Bhod

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 00:49:05, 15/01/17 »
McNett tenacious tape.
I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake.

craven50

« Reply #3 on: 01:09:01, 15/01/17 »
I'm annoyed. Mad. Angry.  Fuming, in fact  >:(   >:(   >:(   >:(

My best and most favourite "winter duvet" jacket got snagged on some barbed wire and has a small, half inch rip in it.

This jacket is at least 10 years old and still extremely windproof, warm and breathable although it lost its waterproof-ness a long while ago (despite washing/treating with Nikwax). 

I want to repair it but don't want to stitch through both layers and the insulation between if at all possible.  However, if that's the only way, then so be it. Cosmetically, I don't really care what the repair looks like so long a the rip doesn't get bigger or fray. 

The label says the outer shell (the bit with the rip) is 100% nylon but it's not that shine-y nylon, it's quite soft/matt effect in looks.

Any thoughts and suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Mel  :)

Oh dear! Did the same trick with mine was not a happy bunny >:( . Tried everything including McNett tenacious tape although not successful. It tends to peel off. Eventually just sewed it. Looked a mess and then thought give it a coating of PVA glue. Worked a treat and dried clear. An afterthought was to remove the loggo badge (Alpkit) luckily it just peeled off then reglued over repair. Albeit my tear was in a position that the badge looked as though it belonged there.

Even better find a seamstress who does "invisible mending"
« Last Edit: 01:20:57, 15/01/17 by craven50 »
Munros:282   Corbetts:222 Grahams:42   Donalds:9 Hewitts:137 Wainwrights:214
Pennine Way. C2C WHW. SUW Dales Way. Centurian Way. 827 Geocaches.

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 08:41:43, 15/01/17 »
I have successfully used the nylon repair patches that you can buy in camping shops. I had a round bit just to one side of the zip on the fly of my old tent and I have a rectangular bit on the knee of my waterproof trousers, and they have stayed stuck very well.

Branded Coglan if I remember correctly, it comes with three rectangles of material - blue, orange and green - and a tube of adhesive. You cut a piece to the size you need, round its corners and stick it on. I found it better to apply the adhesive to the patch rather than to the item to be repaired, so you don't get an area of dried glue showing around the patch.

Of course, if the item you want to repair isn't blue, orange or green you're out of luck, and after using the colour you do want you end up throwing the others away!

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 13:45:20, 15/01/17 »
Thanks for the suggestions everyone... I'd not thought of using a glue / patch of some sort  :)

As it happens, the tear is where a logo might appear so sticking a badge over it isn't a bad idea at all  O0

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 14:12:10, 15/01/17 »
Go Outdoors used to sell rolls of Goretex repair tape which I have used in the past to good effect. They may still do. If not, Amazon is your friend.
Solvitur Ambulando

Strider

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 21:49:39, 15/01/17 »
AND your new trousers!  Something like this or one of the McNett products as Bhod mentioned.
Not all those who wander are lost

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 22:49:32, 15/01/17 »
Haha... my new trousers are new again  ;)

I'll mooch into my local outdoorsy shop on my lunch break tomorrow and have a nosey at patches and tape and see what's what.  Ideally I'd like something that is clear as my jacket is red (not an easy colour to colour match  :-\  )

Cheers again for the suggestions and ideas.  I don't feel quite so devastated about this rip now  :)

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy