Author Topic: Ultra light 2 man tent - is there anything better than the Alpkit Ordos 2?  (Read 8293 times)

2candan

Looking into buying a decent tent. Have always had cheap ones until now and I'm planning to cycle and explore the Outer Hebrides in March so the time could be right to buy a decent tent as I will spend at least a week in it.

I find Alpkit brilliant in most regards and have several bits of their kit which is usually excellent for the price. I like the look of the Ordos 2, but wondered if there is anything else around the £200-£250 range that I should consider? The Force 10 Helium 2 looked great as it uses thicker fabrics, yet weighs virtually the same, but I've not been able to find it in stock anywhere at £250 any more.

Cheers! O0

Lygonos

For the sake of the weight of half a walking boot you could get a Wild Country Zephyros 2 for £99 - pitches all-in-one rather than inner first like the Alpkit.

Pretty much a Terra Nova Laser Competition 2 made with cheaper/heavier (and perhaps slightly tougher) materials.

2candan

That is tempting given the price but it looks tiny for a 2 man tent and it also looks like it doesn't pack down anything like as small as the Alpkit which is more of a concern for me than actual weight. Appreciate the suggestion though, I'm certainly going to consider it!

Any other ideas?

craven50

That is tempting given the price but it looks tiny for a 2 man tent and it also looks like it doesn't pack down anything like as small as the Alpkit which is more of a concern for me than actual weight. Appreciate the suggestion though, I'm certainly going to consider it!

Any other ideas?

Yes it is tiny for a 2 man tent you need to be close friends. Depends on the weight you want to carry the minimum? Inner pitching first is a bit dodgy in the UK climate. Although I have a North Face tadpole (inner first) and can have it erected in 3 minutes on a good day, 6 on a grueller. Weight wise about 4.25lbs in old money plus free standing.

Also pocess a Vaude Terratrio 2m. Great tent but weighs just under 5lbs. Plus the space inside is exceptional. Free standing so no problems if you pitch it in the wrong place and need to shift it. Can be pitched as one or outer first in less than 5 minutes (RRP £190) Can be picked up for less. For ultralight of the same or similar models well expensive. I'd carry the extra weight being tight ;D ;D ;D

Although after looking at the alpkit model if looking for another tent I would seriously consider this. Similar to my vaude and based on their designs but lighter materials.  I might invest in one myself yet ;) Vaudes ULights are expensive :o
Munros:282   Corbetts:222 Grahams:42   Donalds:9 Hewitts:137 Wainwrights:214
Pennine Way. C2C WHW. SUW Dales Way. Centurian Way. 827 Geocaches.

Tomo

Mountain Laurel Designs Duomid? (also check out the Solomid if you don't need space for two people).

Not strictly a tent, but it's extremley lightweight (approx 700g), loads of space for two people and gear, packs down to nothing at all and can withstand some pretty heavy weather. You'll need walking poles though.

I bought one second hand off of eBay along with an Oookworks ground tub. Very pleased with mine!

Top of Helvellyn overnight camp

Blind Tarn overnight camp (howled down with wind and rain all night - stayed dry and warm)

runforest

I find Alpkit brilliant in most regards and have several bits of their kit which is usually excellent for the price. I like the look of the Ordos 2, but wondered if there is anything else around the £200-£250 range that I should consider? The Force 10 Helium 2 looked great as it uses thicker fabrics, yet weighs virtually the same, but I've not been able to find it in stock anywhere at £250 any more.

Force 10 is on sale at outdooraction.co.uk for £234 now...... but it weighs in at 2.26kg to the 1.3kg of the Ordos 2, which I'm guessing if you're buying a tent like this, is your primary consideration.

I'm seriously considering getting the Ordos 2 - my only worries are reports of it being easily ripped.

In regard the inner first pitch, I'm a bit confused, the review I've read of it on Climbing Tips reckons:

It’s an inner-first pitch, which means if it’s chucking it down then you’ll be very wet. However, Alpkit have – to their credit – taken criticism of this onboard and the 2016 model now pitches outer-first if you wish.

craven50

Force 10 is on sale at outdooraction.co.uk for £234 now...... but it weighs in at 2.26kg to the 1.3kg of the Ordos 2, which I'm guessing if you're buying a tent like this, is your primary consideration.

I'm seriously considering getting the Ordos 2 - my only worries are reports of it being easily ripped.

In regard the inner first pitch, I'm a bit confused, the review I've read of it on Climbing Tips reckons:

If that's the case inner first will phone Alpkit to check. A positive responce then order O0

runforest

If that's the case inner first will phone Alpkit to check. A positive responce then order O0

Good stuff, please share their response as I'll probably follow suit!  :)

craven50

You have doubts about the strength of materials used. I don't think that will be a problem. I also own a Lazer Competition and that fabric looks as though it will tear easily. Not so tough as h*ll.

runforest

You have doubts about the strength of materials used. I don't think that will be a problem. I also own a Lazer Competition and that fabric looks as though it will tear easily. Not so tough as h*ll.

Good to know, thanks craven50! That throws another potential tent into the mix for me, the Lazer Competition 2 is going for £269 sale price online any particular reason you're going for an Ordos 2 bearing mind you already have a LC2?  :)

craven50

Good to know, thanks craven50! That throws another potential tent into the mix for me, the Lazer Competition 2 is going for £269 sale price online any particular reason you're going for an Ordos 2 bearing mind you already have a LC2?  :)

No you have misunderstood me or I have given you the wrong impression

My Laser Competition is a single person tent not the 2 man. The Terra Nova Laser Competition 2  is exactly the same as the Wild Country Zephyros 2 but lighter. Therefore it is still very small for 2 people even just for one person.

The Ordos 2 is just as light as the competition 2 but has twice as much floor space (room).

I hope that makes sense. I have emailed Alpkit to clarify whether the tent is outer pitching first. I will let you know the outcome.

craven50

2016 model now pitches outer-first if you wish.

2candan

From the info I've found, the Ordos 2 can be pitched outer first by using the Velcro loops in the inside of the fly sheet to attach it to the poles. Perhaps you can somehow then attach the inner once you have a waterproof shelter.

It looks like a good deal given the size and weight. I'm also slightly worried about its frailty though!

FOX160

I have recently purchased the Tarptent Motrail.
Super lite and loads of room. And highly adjustable.
Pitched in no time at all
But it is a single wall tent

http://https://www.tarptent.com/photos/motrail_1.jpg

FOX160

Take a look at this tent, you'll probably get your bike into the vestibule.
http://http://www.backpackinglight.co.uk/shelters-1/WF129.html

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy