Author Topic: long walk mobile prep.  (Read 1335 times)

Arturas

long walk mobile prep.
« on: 13:47:08, 21/01/17 »
What app do u use in long distance walks, like pennine way or coast to coast, cos i think u have internet like 75% of time, so it makes totally different from hiking in mountains. I'm actualy dont trust phones in mountains, cos got disappointed in them few time (low batter, especially in cold weather), so i trust only paper maps. but any regards of gadgets, maps, apps, or just some sort of configuration would be appreciable. Thanks!

sussamb

• Veteran Member
Re: long walk mobile prep.
« Reply #1 on: 14:18:06, 21/01/17 »
You don't need internet or even a mobile signal to use an app on your phone, but having GPS switched on will eat away at your battery so the biggest issue you face is coping with that.  Personally I prefer a dedicated GPS, only using my phone as a back up, since that will run for around 18 hours on two AA batteries.  Haven't used paper maps for a long while  :)
Where there's a will ...

Arturas

« Reply #2 on: 14:33:25, 21/01/17 »
Thanks sussamb

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 18:48:02, 21/01/17 »
Yep Sussamb is spot on. No phone signal needed. I put GPS on and also use Airplane mode, to stop it phone signal hunting and also switch off any apps which I do not need.

However I also use it as a backup and use an ancient Garmin which I got very cheap from Ebay. I use a solar charger to keep phone power pack  topped to recharge phone and can also recharge  batteries for Garmin from it.
Too little, too late, too bad......

craven50

« Reply #4 on: 05:55:59, 22/01/17 »
  Haven't used paper maps for a long while  :)

That let's you off entering the Spinerace then. ;D ;D
Munros:282   Corbetts:222 Grahams:42   Donalds:9 Hewitts:137 Wainwrights:214
Pennine Way. C2C WHW. SUW Dales Way. Centurian Way. 827 Geocaches.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 08:30:31, 22/01/17 »
 ;D

I am NNAS qualified at Silver level so can map read, so not let off entirely  O0 and as I've said before even with a GPS you need to know how to map read, it is after all very little more than an electronic map  :)
Where there's a will ...

Arturas

« Reply #6 on: 19:35:53, 22/01/17 »
What's the cheapest way to get maps tho? is it posible to download from torrent like linkomanija, pirate bay and then upload to gps, phone. My journeys are budget one's so what's the cheapest way to navigate?

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 20:31:44, 22/01/17 »
Sorry, not prepared to discuss pirating ...

Now, if you want free maps there are plenty (legitimate) free ones for Garmin GPS, and a few for Apps on your smart phone.  The decision really is whether you intend to go for a dedicated GPS or smart phone, and since you seem to be on a budget, and assuming you have a smart phone, that is probably your best bet.
Where there's a will ...

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy