Author Topic: Saloman Quest 4D 2 GTX boots! Mine Leak!  (Read 5806 times)

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
Saloman Quest 4D 2 GTX boots! Mine Leak!
« on: 14:26:32, 22/01/17 »
I hiked the Fairfield Horseshoe last Wednesday. It was mild and overcast and about half way up I walked into fog which remained in place until I came down some hours later. It didn't rain but the grass areas were a bit wet.

I bought my boots last October and I worried at the time if they, like my previous Keen boots, would leak? I discovered that they did!
When I got to the summit both feet, across the toes, were wet!

When I was looking for boots one of the concerns on the internet was that their waterproof qualities were a bit 'hit and miss'.

Back to Snow and Rock tomorrow for a pow-wow!

Glyno

• Veteran Member
Re: Saloman Quest 4D 2 GTX boots! Mine Leak!
« Reply #1 on: 14:32:57, 22/01/17 »
I've had four pairs of Salomon Quest 4Ds and they have all leaked. I only ever bought the first pair and have had subsequent pairs replaced by Go Outdoors before the warranty expired. I'm too embarrassed to take my current pair back.

They are comfy though.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 15:07:40, 22/01/17 »
So far (about the 6 month mark) my Salomon GTX Primes are okay, fingers crossed  O0
Where there's a will ...

Jim Parkin

« Reply #3 on: 18:39:01, 22/01/17 »
I got fed up with goretex fabric boots/trainers leaking and then holding the water so have gone back to leather (the Berghaus Hillmaster) - any weight penalty over fabric boots seems worth it. 

I have unlined fell shoes for when I don't care, or getting wet is inevitable and I want a chance of them drying. 

Cairn hopper

« Reply #4 on: 19:00:25, 22/01/17 »
I think it's always been a problem of quest. Unfortunately it's been more difficult making a hill walking boot / trail trainer cross over.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 21:50:29, 22/01/17 »
I agree with Jim Pakin, I was seduced by a low price when I bought my Quest's. I'll make a decision when I return my boots to the shop, hopefully I'll get a new pair made of leather. Maybe?

Jim Parkin

« Reply #6 on: 23:26:06, 22/01/17 »
I agree with Jim Pakin, I was seduced by a low price when I bought my Quest's. I'll make a decision when I return my boots to the shop, hopefully I'll get a new pair made of leather. Maybe?

I'd recommend checkiong out the Berghaus range - I didn't break them in, and went straight to a 17km walk albeit on paths with no problems. 

I'd been aware of the Brasher boots although never used them - but the Berghaus ones (which bought the Brasher brand) are very much of that philosophy.   I like the fact that even without the goretex, they have a leather that would have been considered good on its own in the 1990s.

Bhod

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 09:10:14, 23/01/17 »
Never had a pair of Salomon quest 4D GTX leak on me yet, guess I must be one of the lucky ones.
I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake.

humansnail

« Reply #8 on: 18:49:28, 23/01/17 »
I'm pretty much the same as Glyno, I had 3 pairs in just under 2 years. All 3 leaked quite badly within a few months of walking and had to be returned. I swapped the third pair for a different brand. It's such a shame as they are without doubt the most comfortable boot I have worn by a mile.  If you manage to get a none-leaky pair, guard them with your life! I loved the fit so much, I was really tempted to get a fourth pair, but I too was getting a bit embarrassed constantly taking them back!

Alacrity

« Reply #9 on: 18:57:15, 23/01/17 »
3rd pair of Quest 4D. First 2 leaked and were replaced under warranty. 3rd pair arrrived, got hosed down with clean water and Nik Wax was added and topped up now and then. Never leaked. 4 year old now but only use as a summer boot.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 19:47:10, 23/01/17 »
Thank you all for the information, its very helpful. Maybe I'm being naive, but it would seem to me that Salomon should be making an effort to maintain a good reputation. They have lots of competitors out there! Maybe its just a case of they don't give a monkeys! I presume they are making money so why should they be bothered to worry about a few hundred, or maybe a few thousand people around the globe that become dissatisfied with their product.

So many companies seem to be like this, notably in my view, broadband providers, gas and electric, rail companies, airlines and so on. It must be one of the reasons why they eventually start to fail? Not gas and electricity of course, they have it made, with their friends in government!

I emailed Salomon the other day. No reply to date!

DalesWalesLakesandPeaks

« Reply #11 on: 21:49:22, 01/02/17 »
I think it's always been a problem of quest. Unfortunately it's been more difficult making a hill walking boot / trail trainer cross over.

Same with me, bought my first ever pair of fabric boots, Solomon Quest. Leaked more or less straight away.

Never again, will stick to leather from now on, as I should have done in the first place. Replaced with Berghaus Fellmasters.

The Solomans were terrible in dew.
Twitter: @jonesibfc

huwwuh

« Reply #12 on: 23:15:43, 01/02/17 »
I bought a pair of these the day before yesterday and the main reason was for spring/summer dry hiking. Living in Wales though it is usually not a case of will it rain, but when. Watch this space...

DK

« Reply #13 on: 15:25:53, 19/02/17 »
On my fourth pair of the leaking Quests, get then replaced without difficulty each time but now use a summer boots only. If I do use them in the winter I wear waterproof socks!
They are just the comfiest boots though and ideal for dry weather walking...
We weren't born to just pay bills and die...

Bhod

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 17:24:21, 19/02/17 »
I have been so happy with my previous pairs that I've just bought another as I know they will be comfortable to wear straight out of the box.  Will just have to wait and see if they leak or not, but I'll treat them the same as I have my previous pairs, use them in all seasons, weathers and conditions. 
I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy