Author Topic: New boots, raw ankles, leukotape, moleskin, thoughts?  (Read 5044 times)

Obinice

Right, I've got some new leather hiking boots. I know it takes some time to break them in, I'm working on it.

I'm trying to figure out how to stop the backs of my ankles from becoming raw whilst I do, though. So so raw.  :(  I heard of the awesomeness of leukotape so I tried it. It's perfect for some rubbing and boy oh boy does it stay on! I love that. But it's not enough to stop this. Oh no. In fact using it stopped me from telling that my feet were getting so raw and I only realised later that day after I removed the tape. Geeze.  

The leukotape's no good on its own, ok. So, I've grabbed some Dr Scholl's Moleskin. I like how much you get in a pack for the price and it seems like nice stuff. I've used it once on my poor healing feet with great effect whilst on a day out in my regular shoes, but I'll be off out tomorrow in the new boots again and I'm hoping this fix will do the trick. Wondering what your thoughts are?

Method: I've taken a strip of leukotape, and a small square of moleskin, and positioned the moleskin against my skin (rather than the sticky side) over the affected area, and placed the leukotape over that to hold it all in place. Basically making my own DIY padded plaster, but one that's more comfortable and sticks way way better.

What do you think, good practice as a preventative measure on a long hike?

I know there's about 4 billion pages on blisters and such online, I've read a bunch of stuff already and I'm trying to apply the best practices I've found, but now I'm just looking for a little real feedback on my method... to hone it before my feet strangle me in my sleep :)

sussamb

• Veteran Member
Re: New boots, raw ankles, leukotape, moleskin, thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: 17:51:23, 22/01/17 »
Heel blisters are generally caused by heel lift, can you feel the heel lifting in your boot as you walk?  If so you may find you can reduce it by a different lacing method.  Here's one but there are plenty on line

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbUAMPQDjyk
Where there's a will ...

pauldawes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 17:53:41, 22/01/17 »
Yes, taping your feet as a blister preventative is a reasonable idea.

But...go "one step back". I disagree with you that new boots should need breaking in to be really comfortable.

Suggest next time you buy a pair that you get them from somewhere  that employs qualified boot fitters, and try on as many pairs as necessary until you find a pair that are really, really comfortable. Your gut reaction should be "as comfortable as a pair of carpet slippers".

Don't buy the notion that boots need breaking in. It was no doubt true decades ago, but most modern boots don't "work" like...they are comfortable from the beginning or will never be comfortable.

alewife

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 20:26:50, 22/01/17 »
My new leather boots are very comfortable, as you say, just like slippers, but I similarly have a blister. I said on the other recent blister thread, I use normal big size fabric plasters. I did wear them with some new and a bit cheapie socks so I think that may have been the problem where the sock kind of rucked up, it only felt like it was rubbing right at the end of the walk. The key thing I think is to make sure that whatever you use does not move against the skin so maybe a thin but well fitting liner sock would help.  Also, if you feel any discomfort while you are walking deal with it as soon as possible, don't press on regardless as the worse it gets the longer it will take to heal.
Alewife

...beware of the bull!

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 21:32:08, 22/01/17 »
A fair amount has been written on blisters recently, I found it all very useful. From how you describe what you are going though seems a bit like I went through 5 pairs of boots ago? I can only offer the suggestion that you need to study your feet well, understand your gait, are your boots wearing evenly and have you judged it well as to tightly your boots should fit? Are your present boots a bit too big for you? Do you walk 'badly'? Does your feet tilt to one side? Do you have too much inside movement? Have you tried inserts, to help your boots 'grab' your feet more comfortably and firmly? How much, over time, if any will your boots stretch? In the end I personally had to buy new boots, in my case ladies versions and from then I've had no further problems.

I for one, having tried plasters. cremes and so on, eventually came to the conclusion that they only cover problems and once stopped the possibility is, that either they will just return, or hopefully, in time your feet will settle down and the issues will just go away?

I no longer get blisters which I believe is partly because I now know how to buy boots that fit me securely, both in the ankle area and at the toes end. I also have inserts into my boots, I wear decent socks and practice good feet routines each day. Whenever I stop, I take my boots off, let my feet cool, wipe them thoroughly, massage and wiggle them around, obviously ensure my toenails are cut and smooth, turn my socks inside out and off I go again until the next stop.

craven50

« Reply #5 on: 03:55:06, 23/01/17 »
Right, I've got some new leather hiking boots. I know it takes some time to break them in, I'm working on it.

What do you think, good practice as a preventative measure on a long hike?

I know there's about 4 billion pages on blisters and such online, I've read a bunch of stuff already and I'm trying to apply the best practices I've found, but now I'm just looking for a little real feedback on my method... to hone it before my feet strangle me in my sleep :)

Good quality and fitting boots are a blessing. As for breaking in modern boots should need minimal breaking in. If the fit isn't correct for your foot you will have problems all the time. I'd try using different socking either two one thin underneath your usual. Mix and match till your foot isn't lifting out of the boot. Also lacing can be experimented with. Check at the heel of the boot to see if there any rough edges or are badly stictched, tape over. Lastly as a last resort tape something soft and flexible to the back of the heel. Experiment with thicknesses.

If all fail, I am afraid the boots are not suitable. Boots nowadays use at least 3 different standards and all different. Englsh, Euro and Amercan. Plus nowadays Chinese fit on the cheaper boot ;D . Luckily my boot size is a standard 8.5 English although getting harder to find nowadays luckily there is a reasonable equivalent in Euro and never had problems with heel lift nor blisters the odd one or two but unusual. (touch wood)
Munros:282   Corbetts:222 Grahams:42   Donalds:9 Hewitts:137 Wainwrights:214
Pennine Way. C2C WHW. SUW Dales Way. Centurian Way. 827 Geocaches.

Twiggy2

« Reply #6 on: 11:06:47, 23/01/17 »
For over 20yrs I have had no more than a pink area caused by a new pair of boots, I am another who feels the idea if having to wear boots in through pain and extreme blisters is an outdated one.
I do think you should wear your boots for short walks and alternate with old boots for a week or so though if possible, you avoid even pink areas then.

Obinice

« Reply #7 on: 00:26:09, 25/01/17 »
Thanks for the thoughts, I hadn't considered that the boot may simply not be perfect for me! I've bought the same model shoes for years and only ever used hand-me-down old boots, so my criteria in the past for picking footwear has just been "size 10 and leather" :P

These boots are wonderfully comfortable to wear, though! I guess my heel must be lifting a little to be rubbing, but it's imperceptible, I tried to spot it after reading your responses. The rubbing area is where the stitching from either side meets, above that is lovely padding but down towards the heel it's rather rough. I could add some padding there but I'll try to let the area wear in naturally instead.

Popping moleskin under some leukotape worked a treat though! I went for a 2 hour walk the other day and had not a single issue.

...Okay, I came home and my puppy tried to destroy my wool socks. For real, how do you stop a puppy eating your socks while you're wearing them?! But besides that no issues :P

old geezer

« Reply #8 on: 12:49:07, 25/01/17 »
RE.Sore ankles.An idea you might try.Get a pair of elastic wrist (sweat0 bands and wear them on your ankles.Regarding heel lift,get some foam innersoles and foam heel cushions.You can get the bands from Sports Direct and the innersoles from poundland.I use all that stuff and it works a treat.Good luck.

Ian chamberlain

« Reply #9 on: 20:18:18, 28/01/17 »
When i was in the scouts when i was a lad i had new boots to walk around the isle of wight.im in my 50's now but still remember my mum suggesting i rub a dry bar of soap into the leather till it crumbles,and rub that in too.apparently it helps to soften the leather.nothing worse than feeling that your feet are on fire.good luck.
Ema katalavina dipodar

SteveCRunner

« Reply #10 on: 10:48:22, 30/01/17 »
RE.Sore ankles.An idea you might try.Get a pair of elastic wrist (sweat0 bands and wear them on your ankles.Regarding heel lift,get some foam innersoles and foam heel cushions.You can get the bands from Sports Direct and the innersoles from poundland.I use all that stuff and it works a treat.Good luck.
This is a brilliant idea. I wish I had thought of it when I had to swap to Salomon XA Pro 3D Ultra when part-way along Offa's Dyke. I just tried this at home and a longer pair of arm bands is probably an advantage, such as Nike Doublewide.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 15:25:33, 30/01/17 »
When I really suffered from blisters, I tried elasticated cuffs around my ankles, hoping to get a better and more secure boot fit, but they didn't work for me, my blisters continued until I bought new ladies boots. I always wear inserts, would never be without them.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy