Author Topic: Good value hiking boots?  (Read 9728 times)

dilby

Good value hiking boots?
« on: 18:49:30, 05/02/17 »
Hi all -[/size]I'm on the lookout for some new walking boots; mostly for walking around the brecon beacons here in Wales so they need to handle water and snow okay, but I'd like something lightweight.There really seems to be a market gap however between all the cheap stuff that google throws up that all seems to be in sports direct, and then the really expensive designer brands.Question is, is it worth spending a lot and getting something a pair of Timberlands (£150 plus) or spending a max of £50 and going to sports direct. I know SD have a bad rep, but is their stuff good still? Or, is there somewhere else that's worth a look? I'd like a pair that will last, but I really want to avoid spending a small fortune.Thanks!

sussamb

• Veteran Member
Re: Good value hiking boots?
« Reply #1 on: 19:01:46, 05/02/17 »
For under £100 you can get a pair of Salomon Quest Primes.  I've had a pair since July, wearable straight out the box and so far fully waterproof  O0
Where there's a will ...

Jim Parkin

« Reply #2 on: 21:28:35, 05/02/17 »
What is your level of experience, and what footwear do you already have?  I tend to think of Timberland as having a premium for the name, and mostly as a fashion statement.  Looking at their website, their Hutchinsion boot (for example) looks reasonable, but there are other leather boots that probably give you similar or better performance (however you define** it) for less money.

I'd want to be confident of my navigation before I went to the Brecon Beacons in the winter. 

One word of warning - I really wouldn't go for a Timberland high boot (or any other high boot) for general hillwalking.  High-leg boots can be very uncomfortable around the instep.  Blisters there are not fun. 

Unlike Sussamb, I have gone back to leather boots for when I want water resistance (otherwise I wear lightweight fell shoes with no liner - Innov8 Rocklite fell shoes fit my foot), but I think we'd probably both agree that fit for your foot is key, and I'm guessing that we'd both suggest that generally, lighter boots are more comfortable at the end of the day - I'm probably going for slightly heavier boots than they are - but a lot of my walking is in the Peak District, and with a lot of boggy peat, so the options are to try to keep the water out (or at least to limit it and let it warm if it gets in - leather boot for me) or accept feet that get wet, and go for something that drys quickly (fell shoes with good grip and no waterproof liner).  For my walking, trail shoes with a waterproof liner aren't too good, as water gets in the top of the low shoe and stays in. 

*I don't know about in the US

**Waterproofness, weight, grip, druability, breathability (some of these are contradictory). 

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 17:50:34, 06/02/17 »
I bought Saloman Quest 2's a few months ago and they now leak. I have taken them back to the shop and am waiting for them to contact me. If I buy a new pair of boots I'm inclined to buy Berghaus (Brasher) boots again. My boot of choice will be a pair of Superlights. I had a pair in 2015 and walked across the Pyrenees in them, they were very comfortable and for me, my feet were dry at all times, they felt just right! They did fail however, towards the end, when they cracked across the toes inside the boots. I would buy again, I mean what are the chances of such a thing happening twice?

On the other hand, although my Quests leaked I liked them a lot, so very comfortable. I'll make a decision, hopefully next week.

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 18:17:22, 06/02/17 »
I bought Saloman Quest 2's a few months ago and they now leak. I have taken them back to the shop and am waiting for them to contact me. If I buy a new pair of boots I'm inclined to buy Berghaus (Brasher) boots again. My boot of choice will be a pair of Superlights. I had a pair in 2015 and walked across the Pyrenees in them, they were very comfortable and for me, my feet were dry at all times, they felt just right! They did fail however, towards the end, when they cracked across the toes inside the boots. I would buy again, I mean what are the chances of such a thing happening twice?

On the other hand, although my Quests leaked I liked them a lot, so very comfortable. I'll make a decision, hopefully next week.

The chance of the same thing happening again is actually probably very high due to the lower quality of the materials being used, the production methods and quality control so why even consider taking the chance? I would have thought common sense ought to be telling you that once bitten twice shy and it's definitely time to move on and find something else?

Brasher aren't Brasher anymore and haven't been for a very long time ever since production was moved abroad. Berghaus buying the Brasher name and sticking a different sole on them will not change that one bit. The boots are now being made to a price point rather than the level of quality as when they were originally made in this country.

With boots I find that you actually do get what you pay for.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 16:35:03, 07/02/17 »
With boots (and with everything else in the world) I do not find that you actually get what you pay for!  :)

I received confirmation from Snow and Rock today (where I bought the Salomon Quests from) that I could have a refund or a credit note. I chose to have a refund. I did not have the confidence to buy another pair of Quests. A pity because apart from leaking they were a really fine pair of comfortable boots.

I have now bought myself a pair of Berghaus Superlite 2's. My fingers are crossed that they will be OK!

gary m

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 16:42:34, 07/02/17 »
i love my merrell moab mid boots, i am on my second pair and are so comfortable
you have 1 life live it

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 18:34:44, 07/02/17 »
With boots (and with everything else in the world) I do not find that you actually get what you pay for!  :)

With respect I think you're totally missing the point I was making.

The Berghaus/Brasher Superlite boots which you've now bought at least twice, the Salomon Quests and the Keen Targee which you had before them are at best all mid range boots costing around £100.

If you're happy to keep spending that sort of money only for them to keep failing on you  for one reason or another at crucial times on your long distance hikes and either having to carry out emergency on the spot repairs or buy unplanned emergency replacements mid walk, return them for credit/exchange or put them in the dustbin then fair enough as that's your choice.

The point I'm making is that if you increased your budget limit and bought boots made from higher quality materials with a better build quality perhaps you wouldn't be experiencing the extremely high failure rate which you are now? It's not an accident or just bad luck that they keep failing - the truth is it's because they are poor quality boots.

I keep pointing you towards having a look at Alt-Berg's range of boots and you keep religiously ignoring the advice with a vengeance. Yes the Alt-Berg boots do cost more than those you keep buying but the build quality is far superior to anything you have bought - and that's exactly what I mean by "with boots you do get what you pay for".

If you increased your budget instead of buying two pairs of mid range boots per year every year you may actually find that you can buy one pair of decent quality leather boots that will last the normal average of 5 years plus for a full leather construction boot.

It's simple economics - pay more to start with to end up spending less in the long run.

tonyk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 18:57:10, 07/02/17 »
 I had a pair of the original Brashers and they split across the toe on both boots.Probably something to do with the sole being quite flexible but they were really comfortable for a leather boot and didn't need breaking in.

Sports Direct generally sell crap but I have found some of their cheaper boots to be quite good.Not always waterproof but they have proven to be up to the task in terms of being comfortable and being blister free.

If you are carrying a light pack,10kgs or less,its worth considering trail running shoes.

Kukkudrill

« Reply #9 on: 22:25:57, 07/02/17 »
I keep pointing you towards having a look at Alt-Berg's range of boots and you keep religiously ignoring the advice with a vengeance. Yes the Alt-Berg boots do cost more than those you keep buying but the build quality is far superior to anything you have bought - and that's exactly what I mean by "with boots you do get what you pay for".

I had an interesting exchange with an Altberg representative last December. I couldn't find any clear-cut information about their product guarantee in their website so I asked:

do you offer a guarantee on your boots? I'd like to know what remedies would be available if the waterproofing fails like it has with other brands.

They replied:

Our warranty guarantees that as of the date of purchase, the boots are free from defects of manufacturing, materials or components. A precondition of the warranty is the proper use and treatment of the boots as well as the proper care. Not included in the warranty are normal wear and tear, as well as results of improper usage, wilful or accidental damage, lack of proper care or treatment, or faulty adjustment or modification.

Our Sympatex waterproof linings are very durable, however, the time it takes for these to wear or become ineffective can vary depending on levels of wear, the wearers gait or fit. Once a waterproof lining has become worn or damaged, it is not something that we can repair or replace.

To which I said:

Thank you for your reply.

It is not clear to me whether the warranty applies only to the day of purchase or whether it covers reasonable use for any period thereafter.

What is clear is that if the waterproofing is defective from day one, this might be covered by warranty (assuming that the "date of purchase" can be stretched to include the day of delivery), but if it fails at any point subsequently the customer has no remedy. This is not very encouraging.

Their reply was:

We make and sell approximately 45,000 pairs of boots each year, using Sympatex for waterproof boots, and have very few problems. Alt Berg is a small, honest and genuine boot making company and should a problem arise, it’s looked at on an individual, ‘wear’ basis – in the event of a justified warranty claim, we’ll provide the original purchaser with either a repair or replacement.

We receive a large number of boots in for our resoling service, and this gives us good feedback on durability. We see some boots that are very heavily worn within months and others on their second or third re-sole and still going strong.

The date of purchase would extend to the date of delivery.

Make of this what you will. On my part I can see Altberg's point of view but boots cost money and they can fail. I'm not willing to gamble my money on a product that is not covered by a proper guarantee.
Make the most of the available light

NeilC

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 07:32:18, 08/02/17 »

I had an interesting exchange with an Altberg representative last December. I couldn't find any clear-cut information about their product guarantee in their website so I asked:

They replied:

To which I said:

Their reply was:

Make of this what you will. On my part I can see Altberg's point of view but boots cost money and they can fail. I'm not willing to gamble my money on a product that is not covered by a proper guarantee.

That sounds like any other guarantee. I'm not sure what else they could reasonably offer. They can only guarantee what they have control over - the manufacturing. If they said "3 years no matter what you do" and you buy a pair that doesn't fit, with major heel slip, and wear them on 5 consecutive ultramarathons then clearly you'll wear a hole in the lining. But someone else gets a pair fitted well, wears them walking for 5 trips a year and looks after them, they might last 5 years.

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 08:10:13, 08/02/17 »
To be honest I'd never looked for any guarantee information on Alt-Berg's website probably because I've never had any problems with any of their boots I've bought and never needed to use it.

Regardless of what any manufacturer or retailer might say all goods supplied in this country are now covered The Consumer Rights Act 2015 which became law on 01 October 2015.

These few web pages may help explain exactly where you stand and what you can do about it if you do have problems.

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/about-us/how-citizens-advice-works/citizens-advice-consumer-work/the-consumer-rights-act-2015/

http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/consumer-rights-act

http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/supply-of-goods-and-services-act-1982

http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/sale-of-goods-act

http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/advice/how-to-get-a-faulty-product-replaced-or-repaired

You should not have problems with most reasonable manufacturers or retailers as they all know that any unresolved case can be referred to the Consumer Ombudsman or as a last resort they can end up having to answer and defend a claim in the small claims court which, should they lose the case, would be far more costly than a pair of their most expensive boots.

gary m

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 11:32:30, 08/02/17 »
i dont see the point in buying boots even if they are comfortable but leak, kinkyboots said you get what you pay for in boots and i have to agree
you have 1 life live it

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 13:14:34, 08/02/17 »
I'll still stick with my own view of the world and will not not pay more that £150 for boots. I consider my present problem was caused by me succumbing in the first place, to buy shoes that were not all leather. I never had this problem before when I only wore leather boots. At least I can claim that my last two pairs of boots, both with loads of stitching have not really cost me that much. They have certainly given me a chance for a lot of moaning and a few laughs. Very therapeutic! The first pair I were cheap, (£50 less than on Keene site) they leaked so I returned them with money back, plus the second pair leaked and were cheap, (£60 less than on Salomon site) and returned them, money back and have now bought leather boots again, only £6 more. I have no problem with this.

Personally I do not want to even consider a boot that is more than I am willing to pay, they may last for 'ever', but as a consumer I like to change my boots now and again, all other atributes of the two pairs of boots were fine, just a pity they leaked!

So for me from now on, leather boots only and no more than £150 a pair.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 13:30:18, 08/02/17 »
My soles tend to wear out before the boots, so I too look for boots around the £100 mark  O0
Where there's a will ...

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy