Author Topic: Light rucksacks question  (Read 1834 times)

Steelystan

Light rucksacks question
« on: 12:33:02, 11/02/17 »
I am hiking the Pacific crest trail again this year.  In 2015 when I did the PCT (well almost all of it - hence doing it again), I used the Z-Packs Arcblast pack which was very light but abraded quite easily. Also the hip belt padding was thin and folded where the webbing was sewn on, so effectively making the belt only about 3cm wide which got uncomfy when carrying a lot of water, or on longer sections with a lot of supplies to haul.

Looking at it now, I think it would last another trip perhaps, but has anyone got any thoughts on alternatives like the ULA ones?  I will definitely be carrying a bear can in the Sierras, which did fit in the arcblast but dug in my back a bit.

Anyone done long distance with heavier but comfy packs?

Stan
178/214.

Owen

• Veteran Member
Re: Light rucksacks question
« Reply #1 on: 14:31:22, 11/02/17 »
I have a ULA CDT but haven't used it yet on any long walks. It doesn't have any kind of frame so relies on careful packing to make it comfortable. For long walks I've been using a Lightwave Untrahike 60, as it does have a frame it weighs 1200g but carries very well, my heaviest load was 20.5kg.   

Should add the ULA CDT weighs 660g.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 09:02:02, 12/02/17 »
I have a Golite Jam, very light, tough material and for me comfortable. Unfortunately its no longer made, but there is a Dutch company called Nigor that now makes what looks like the Jam but they have also improved on the design. I've also seen some good on line video tests on it as well. The online magazine The Great Outdoors also did a review of it.

Steelystan

« Reply #3 on: 09:32:56, 12/02/17 »
I have a Golite Jam, very light, tough material and for me comfortable. Unfortunately its no longer made, but there is a Dutch company called Nigor that now makes what looks like the Jam but they have also improved on the design. I've also seen some good on line video tests on it as well. The online magazine The Great Outdoors also did a review of it.
Yes, I have a Golite Jam too which I've used a lot in the Lake District.  I've considered it but I dont think it will accommodate the bear can without being very difficult to pack.  I'll check out the Nigor company though - thnks.
178/214.

Cairncamper

« Reply #4 on: 13:13:03, 12/02/17 »
Granite Gear Crown VC 60  has a huge 60 litre main compartment that is great for bear cans.

https://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk/equipment-c3/rucksacks-c19/all-rucksacks-c134/crown-v-c-60-p4568

craven50

« Reply #5 on: 22:33:56, 13/02/17 »
I have a Golite Jam, very light, tough material and for me comfortable. Unfortunately its no longer made,

Thankfully. The Jam is/was a load of ****. If you check the back panels you will find that it is not waterproof but a mesh covered by the a roll mat insert for "support". Therefore the worst rucksac on the market in the UK for leakage. Alright in the USA in fine weather ::)

Got one and I have to use dry bags all the time ;D
Munros:282   Corbetts:222 Grahams:42   Donalds:9 Hewitts:137 Wainwrights:214
Pennine Way. C2C WHW. SUW Dales Way. Centurian Way. 827 Geocaches.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 17:09:31, 14/02/17 »
Maybe, but for me it fitted so well and was a joy to carry. I used it first to hike and camp the Pennine Way. In the end, about three years later I'd almost worn it out, scuffing on the ground and so on. I don't do that now, I'm more careful. I thought it was a good design though, nicely lightweight which is why I am pleased with my Exos 48L now, again light and all of the compartments are in the right place. Mine never did leak, I just used to throw on an elasticated waterproof cover and it worked fine. All things come to an end and we then move on!

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy