Author Topic: Walking the lengh of the Peak District  (Read 1048 times)

tatman303

Walking the lengh of the Peak District
« on: 13:42:53, 14/02/17 »
Hi
I'm hoping someone can give me a few pointers. Myself and a few friends are planning to hike the entire length of the Peak District from North to South. We're starting at Marsden and finishing at Ashbourne and doing it over 3 days to make it a more pleasurable experience, as I'm doing it for my 50th and everyone is not far behind, so we're not as young and fit as we used to be (but who is). We plan to stay at the Snake Pass Inn on night one and then be down somewhere along the A6, Ashford in the Water way for night two - a couple of friends will head off back to Sheffield on day 2 - probably leaving near to Padley Gorge.
My questions are, any tips and suggestions, especially for the first leg as none of us have really walked the North Peaks - and should we take a certain route. Ideally we want as close to as the crow flies as possible and avoiding unnecessary large hills - we don't want to climb peaks for the sake of it - as the plan is more about a nice walk in good company that takes in the whole Peaks top to bottom. We're all South Yorks, Derbyshire, Notts residents and are fairly familiar with Derbyshire south of Bamford.
Any tips really appreciated.
Thanks

route2rock

• Veteran Member
Re: Walking the lengh of the Peak District
« Reply #1 on: 23:39:48, 23/02/17 »
If you aren't familiar with the north peaks, be warned that it is nothing like the south peaks.

Although walking off paths can be done to get a direct route, it is very difficult terrain, heather bushes cover flat areas with deep peatbog gullies crossing the plateau's at random. These can easily be 8ft deep, with near vertical loose wet mud walls, so trying to find a route around or past them can be difficult, even in good weather.

Although this can be interesting/fun, I would personally choose to follow the pennine way to Dr's culvert, as this is a made path, then follow the snake pass down to the Inn.

That would give a route of over 20miles in day one however, and picking a nice route for the other days will likely end up a similar distance.

Not sure what distance you are used to, but I would rather cut down the distance or walk for more days and take a slower pace to enjoy it more.
Find out what I've been up to @ http://www.instagram.com/route2rock :)

tatman303

Re: Walking the lengh of the Peak District
« Reply #2 on: 13:30:19, 14/03/17 »
Thanks for taking the time to get back to me.
Thanks for the advice regarding the Pennine Way, this is the way we are choosing to go and one of my walking books has a very descriptive and detailed chapter on the walk from Marsden to Edale - I think we're looking at about 18-20 miles to Snake Pass Inn. My book gives Marsden to Edale as 21 - so hopefully about 18-19 if all goes to plan.
All of us are used to walking good distances but are all on the wrong side of 40 so will certainly ensure we get plenty of walks in for the next 3 months. I'm hoping to make tit to Ashbourne over the course of 3-4 days - there is certainly no pressure beyond day one - we will take it from there and see.
Many thanks for the useful tips. :-)

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy