Author Topic: A fantastic day on Fleetwith Pike: walking in a winter wonderland  (Read 1702 times)

henryb

• Veteran Member
Last week-end I got the borrowdale rambler to Seatoller to climb Fleetwith Pike. Fleetwith Pike is one of my favourite mountains in the Lake district; the summit view of Buttermere and Crummock water is breath-taking. All mountains above 600 metres had snow. This was a walk in a western wintry wonderland. Starting from Seatoller I followed the coast to coast path to Honister Slate Mine. After picking up a good track from the slate mine I turned right towards the summit of Fleetwith Pike as views opened up of High Crag and the High stile ridge. Upon reaching the summit, the wind was really strong at this point. I had intended to take in Haystacks but the wind made me change my plans. I reckon it reached -8 on the summit so I decided to drop down into Borrowdale. Before reaching Seatoller I decided to vary the route and take in Castle Crag. I had my lunch on the summit before descending into Borrowdale and continuing onto Grange. I got the Borrowdale rambler back to Keswick. Total distance was 12km.

Grey Knotts:
Image may contain: sky, outdoor and nature

Great Gable from ascent of FP:
Image may contain: mountain, sky, outdoor and nature

Buttermere and Crummock water from FP:
Image may contain: sky, mountain, outdoor, nature and water

The NW fells:
Image may contain: sky, mountain, snow, outdoor and nature

Great Gable to Grey Knotts:
Image may contain: sky, mountain, cloud, outdoor and nature

Great Gable and Kirkfell:
Image may contain: sky, mountain, outdoor and nature

Pillar and Haystacks from FP:

The gables from descent of Fleetwith Pike:
Image may contain: sky, mountain, cloud, outdoor and nature

Glaramara:
Image may contain: mountain, sky, grass, tree, plant, outdoor and nature

Castle crag:
Image may contain: mountain, sky, grass, outdoor and nature

Borrowdale from Castle crag:

Derwent water from Castle crag:

Southern and central fells from Castle crag:
Image may contain: mountain, sky, plant, outdoor and nature

Descending into Borrowdale from Castle Crag:
Image may contain: mountain, sky, grass, tree, outdoor and nature

River Derwent:
Image may contain: tree, sky, plant, mountain, outdoor, nature and water

Penygadair

• Veteran Member
Nice pics Henry. I particularly liked the last one of the River Derwent. Made me feel like Spring is around the corner although I also appreciated the winter wonderland.

April

• Veteran Member
Nice pics Henry  O0
Hate will never win

henryb

• Veteran Member
Thanks Penygadair; the river Derwent was a pleasant surprise as I headed back to Grange through the forest. I really liked the snow on the peaks as well. It was my first proper winter walk this year. :)

Thanks April, good to hear from you, glad you like them. :)

beefy

• Veteran Member
Nice pics Henry  O0
Yeah great pics Henry
Castle crag is one of my faves  8)
A small fell but still beautiful non the less
And a great place to pitch a tent if you desperately need to get out of the wind LOL O0
Leave only footprints, take only photographs, kill only time ...

JimD

Thanks henry.  What route did you follow from Fleetwith Pike to Castle Crag?  It's not an obvious way down but l imagine it was less windy.

Lazar

Hoping to do Great Gable on the 25th

henryb

• Veteran Member
Thanks Beefy, Castle crag really does offer great views for minimal effort O0
JimD - my original plan was to walk to Haystacks, Brandreth and Grey Knotts before the strong winds made me pursue the lower level alternative. I just reversed my ascent route walking over much pathless terrain towards Dubs quarry picking up the coast to coast path to the slate mine at Honister. Thereafter I descended towards Borrowdale turning left in the direction of Grange before climbing Castle Crag. O0
I hope you get a great day Lazar next week. Great Gable is one of my favorites O0

adalard

• Veteran Member
Great TR, Henry and the photo's are cracking  O0  I love the views from Fleetwith Pike and the fells look beautiful in their winter garb here.

henryb

• Veteran Member
Thanks Adalard O0

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy