Author Topic: Hope it wasn't a forum member!  (Read 2336 times)

Penygadair

• Veteran Member
Hope it wasn't a forum member!
« on: 19:25:16, 16/02/17 »
A guy walking in Nant Gwynant near Beddgelert found a WW2 mortar shell. Being of sound mind and body he put it in his car and drove 22 miles to Bangor police station.

A controlled explosion has now taken place.

The mind boggles.  :o :o

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/man-drives-22-miles-unexploded-12609648

ninthace

• Veteran Member
Re: Hope it wasn't a forum member!
« Reply #1 on: 19:31:53, 16/02/17 »
One false move and he could have been geography!
Solvitur Ambulando

Penygadair

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 19:36:16, 16/02/17 »
More like a jigsaw puzzle!

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 19:57:35, 16/02/17 »
A guy walking in Nant Gwynant near Beddgelert found a WW2 mortar shell. Being of sound mind and body he put it in his car and drove 22 miles to Bangor police station.

:o :o :o
Where there's a will ...

phil1960

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 20:07:29, 16/02/17 »
I've stayed in Beddgelert several times but it wasn't me lol. Oh to have seen the cops face  ;D
Touching from a distance, further all the time.

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 20:22:27, 16/02/17 »
When I was a kid it was fairly common to come across old mortars in the hills at the back of Dwygyflchi, particularly lying in streams. Obviously the area had been used for training or practice in WW2. It was mostly just the flights but sometimes there was more. I knew well enough to leave them alone. Mind you, there was the time when I was about 10, after I had moved to outer London, when we found an incendiary bomb on the railway embankment at the bottom of the garden. My mates and I threw stones at it from what we thought was a safe distance, and when nothing happened the stones got bigger and bigger until in the end we were hitting it with half-bricks. Definitely a dud!

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 21:26:20, 16/02/17 »
Depends whether the fuse was still in it or not, old explosives can be chemically unstable but more than likely they've just rotted away to mush. Of course there's no way of tell. 

Whitby Mick

« Reply #7 on: 06:32:51, 24/02/17 »
I don't remember how I acquired it but I once walked into my local with a  'practice round' and pretended to drop it. I have never seen a pub empty so quickly. And yes, I was barred after that  :-[   
Retirement is like owning an old car, you must get as many miles as you can from it before it breaks down forever.

www.our-coast-to-coast.weebly.com

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 10:10:01, 24/02/17 »
I live in Portsmouth and the authorities here discover old bombs all the time, we get quite blasé about it all. One was found a few days ago, I couldn't get out of our estate for ages.

The recent problems have been caused by dredging. The new aircraft carrier is due at some point in Portsmouth and the harbour entrance (so I have been told) is not deep enough. Portsmouth had up to 41 bombing raids in WW2 and the Navy people I know tell me that there are still loads of them, under the water, just waiting to be found.

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 10:56:57, 24/02/17 »
Whoops!!!  that could have been me, had the forum been around in the mid 1950's. I stayed with a school friend near Llanfairfechan, on the Menai Straights, during one hot summer. Exploring in the hills above we found a load of metal debris and fins, mostly damaged, however a more perfect set of fins was partially sticking out of the close cropped turf between the clumbs of heather. Out with sheath knife, most boys had them in those days and not for protection, a quick cut around the turf and soon we had the fin free but behold  :coolsmiley:  there on the end was, more a cylinder, squarish in profile and about 2 in diam.  Just then we found another more promising fin, slightly larger, and repeating the process and more of a struggle, two pairs of hands and an enormous heave!!! We tumbled backwards and lying flat out, saw a huge, nastily tapered looking bomb thing on the end of this set of fins. The nose cone was leaking acid like substance, that sizzled ominously. The whole appearance was a portant of evil so, we backed off and on arriving back at my friends home we reported our find.
I was due to travel home the next day, but when I met my friend in the following term, I learnt the bomb disposal had come out after the police had inspected out finds. The first discovery was a 2in smoke mortar round, the latter a 3in HE mortar round. when they were exploded the bang was heard in Anglesea.

I think that was the first of my 9 lives :angel:
BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

Percy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 10:58:24, 24/02/17 »
I live in Portsmouth and the authorities here discover old bombs all the time, we get quite blasé about it all. One was found a few days ago, I couldn't get out of our estate for ages.

The recent problems have been caused by dredging. The new aircraft carrier is due at some point in Portsmouth and the harbour entrance (so I have been told) is not deep enough. Portsmouth had up to 41 bombing raids in WW2 and the Navy people I know tell me that there are still loads of them, under the water, just waiting to be found.
My grandmother, now 96, was a searchlight operator in Portsmouth during WWII.

midweekmountain

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 11:34:00, 24/02/17 »
Hope it wasn't a forum member!

I have always suspected we had some Darwin award winners on the forum ;D

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 22:09:28, 26/02/17 »
Working in Plymouth it's not uncommon for old munitions to turn up.  We had a box of hand grenades dug up in road works a couple of weeks back.  Barely made the local news.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy