Author Topic: Pooley Bridge to Helvellyn to Windermere Wild Camp  (Read 1438 times)

calitouk

Hello,

I'm a first timer for the Lake District and hoping to get in a 2 1/2-3 day hike with 2 nights of wild camping. I'm looking for something that's not too difficult to reach by public transport from London. I did some reading online and came up with the following: bus from Penrith train station to Pooley Bridge, hike down the south side of Ullswater, cut across from Patterdale to Helvellyn, go down to Grasmere, then on to Ambleside, and either leave from there or head down to Windermere and leave from there.

Does this seem like an appropriate route for my time and travel constraints? Any better suggestions? I'm happy to hike quite a bit of distance but not sure if what I've described is too little, too much, or just right. Any thoughts?

old geezer

Re: Pooley Bridge to Helvellyn to Windermere Wild Camp
« Reply #1 on: 09:40:35, 20/02/17 »
Perfectly doable.Watch out for Striding Edge though.Fom there it's a stroll.If you have time you could even visit Great Langdale.There's a bus back to Ambleside from there.Enjoy.

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 10:15:12, 20/02/17 »
Check the distances on line to see if it is alright for you but it looks OK.
I wouldn't do Striding Edge with a full pack, I'd do Swirral or even Sticks Pass, but some people wouldn't give it a second thought.
Where are you planning to walk from Grasmere?

karl h

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 10:17:08, 20/02/17 »
As Old Geezer says your route is very doable in two and a half days, the only thing i would say that although you haven't said your exact route along the south side of Ullswater if you were intending walking the ridge over Arthur's Pike etc which is a high level moorland path ( some might say trudge  ;) ) it's not the most inspiring few miles in the national park.

My option would be to get the bus to Threlkeld then take the path through Newsham to climb Clough Head which gets you on the high level roller coaster along the Dodds all the way to Helvellyn.
After visiting Nethermost and Dollywaggon I would then drop down to Grisedale Tarn ( throw in Seat sandal if you're fit enough) up to Fairfield and down into Ambleside by way of the Fairfield Horseshoe path. This is about 18 miles in total

If you really wanted to climb Helvellyn by on of the edges you could walk (or even sail )  to Howtown  then climb over Hallin Fell then Beda fell to Angle Tarn making your way across the valley from there. This is about 28 miles though. (but you could save about 4 miles by using the Ullswater steamer )
Hope this helps and have a great time ( don't forget to come back with trip report and pictures  O0

calitouk

« Reply #4 on: 23:29:08, 20/02/17 »
Thanks to all of the above! Ridge - no idea where I'd walk from Grasmere  ::)

karl h, I'm going to take some time to research this suggestion, but it sounds like it might give me a bit of everything, which is what I'm after.

I found out I have an extra day to add on to the hike as well. I also learned about all of the places to stay the night, and I'm considering ditching the heavy pack and just going with a day pack (as long as I can do it that way on a budget). Coming from Nothern California, I had just assumed that a long hike of this variety required wild camping - but perhaps not!

Open to any suggestions, even if they're a bit off from my original suggestion. As of now, I'm thinking of buying a train ticket into Penrith and another 4 days later out of Oxenholme. Hoping to see as much of the Lake District as I can in that time and be fairly active on foot. Thanks again for the advice everyone!

sparnel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 12:07:02, 21/02/17 »
Its nice when the originator of the request comes back with a thank you!  Quite a few who ask questions never come back again...................the icing on the cake would be a trip report!
 O0

old geezer

« Reply #6 on: 11:40:24, 23/02/17 »
You could try the YHA option.There's Helvellyn YH about a mile past Gleridding and Butharlyp at Grasmere.There's also hostels at Ambleside and Windermere.If you choose Helvellyn Hostel you would be best to climb the  mountain over Swirral Edge.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy