Author Topic: Tenerife in April  (Read 987 times)

route2rock

• Veteran Member
Tenerife in April
« on: 21:24:30, 20/02/17 »
I'm just looking at tenerife as a possible holiday location, as flights are cheap,  but as I'm not one for sunbathing all day, I'm wondering if anyone can give me some tips about walking in tenerife?

Is there a particular place that's an ideal Base, an area that I must see etc, or is tenerife in April a bad idea for walking?

Find out what I've been up to @ http://www.instagram.com/route2rock :)

Cyberhiker

Re: Tenerife in April
« Reply #1 on: 08:16:05, 21/02/17 »
Tenerife is great for walking at most times of year, apart from perhaps the summer when it can be hot. Spring is particularly good as the flowers will be in bloom and the weather is usually fine with good temperatures. If you are going to be relying on public transport to get around, Puerto de La Cruz in the north is probably the best for access to the best walking areas. The main areas for walking are the Las Cañadas National Park around Teide for volcanic scenery, the Orotava Valley for pine forests, Teno Mountains in the west and the Anaga Mountains in the north-east. This last region is, in my opinion, (and lot of other walkers) the best region for stunning mountain scenery. It is a Unesco Biosphere Reserve and is characterised by steep, forested mountains and deep barrancos (ravines). Having said that, most of the island has impressive scenery away from the big resorts on the south-west coast.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 11:21:31, 21/02/17 »
At this very moment I am looking at a hiking trip across Tenerife on the GR131 in March. I've wanted to do this for a couple of years but never quite managed to get myself organised. I also want to camp but know that to be at ease I need to comply with their governments bureaucratic demand that I need a permit to do so, or just take a chance and wild camp?

I looked at flights a couple of weeks ago and they were being suggested at £35 each way, plus luggage. Now they are at least £45 each way, plus luggage. Its always my problem, I dither and then have to pay more!

Will I ever learn?

Cyberhiker

« Reply #3 on: 14:14:06, 21/02/17 »
I live in Tenerife and whenever I camp I always wild camp, although technically it's illegal. This is a bit of a joke however, as along the southern coastal regions, there are 'no camping' signs everywhere yet in the summer the wilder coasts turn into mini-villages of camper vans, caravans and tents. 

The main problem with wild camping is that unless you are walking near any of the irrigation channels, you have to carry all of your water. The last 'overnighter' I did I had seven litres of water with me when I set off.
Another problem with camping legitimately along the GR131 is that, off of the top of my head, I can think of only one official campsite along the route.

domtheone

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 21:09:57, 21/02/17 »
Might be a bit warm in April mate so take plenty of sun tan screen.  Sun is very strong up in the mountains.  Based on my experience the other week, I wouldn't recommend doing a 8 hour walk without any lotion on ;D :-X

Stunning location.  2 times i've walked there in Jan and both times the weather was fantastic.  Down at sea level was so so but up above the clouds.... 8) :)

Few pics here:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10154761669817530.1073741888.514507529&type=1&l=334821cbb7

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10154763913502530.1073741889.514507529&type=1&l=982c1571d9

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10154773499887530.1073741890.514507529&type=1&l=7fc5c9e099

I love it up there.  Probably going back in a few months.

My trip at the end of Jan was: £60 return flight.  £55 car hire (3 days).  £180 hotel (splashed out this time).  £50 on a couple of meals/incidentals (after sun cream :D )

Return flights with Ryanair start at about £50-£60 if you get the best fares.  Varies with time of year a bit though.

Several walks up on the national park have decent waymarking etc etc.

I've also a book (Rother guide I think) of 60 walks in Tenerife if you want to borrow.
If they don't like you going out, they'll love you coming in!

*Money back guarantee does not cover for **** weather!

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy