Author Topic: [TR] Flamborough to Sewerby via Danes Dyke in the Sunshine  (Read 1405 times)

Mel

• Veteran Member
Had me a Mellie-Mooch on Sunday.  The first in a while that involved packing a rucksack….my new rucksack finally got its first outing  :)     

The sun was out (nice change from last weekend, that’s for sure!) so off I pootled up to Flamborough for a long overdue walk with some sort of uppy downy to it.   

After parking up in Flamborough I headed off towards Danes Dyke across the fields and through the woodland.  I expected a lot of squelchy mud to be honest and was pleasantly surprised at the lack of it.  Nice and easy-going under-foot:  

Spring has definitely sprung with a sea of Snowdrops in the woodland:  

No automatic alt text available.  

Lovely to see.  Though I did notice, on the drive there, that Crocuses and Daffodils were out as well.  

I soon reached Danes Dyke and it seemed like the rest of the County decided here was the place to be on such a lovely, sunny day.  Shame the little café wasn’t open though (but glad the loos were!).  I headed down the track to the beach.  Not quite the Caribbean, but the tide was out for those brave enough to cross the large chalk boulders and pebbles to the sand and I eyed up a likely spot for a cuppa:  

Buuuut, I wasn’t ready for a cuppa yet.  I still had some restless legs on the go so I decided to kill them off by taking the steep and wonky steps up the side of the cliff and walk a little further to Sewerby.  This bit of the walk was rather uninspiring as I was carefully herded across the golf course between a line of wooden posts.  

After getting to a cricket pavilion type building with lots of seats I decided it was time for a little sit and a sarnie in the sunshine.  My mind wandered with thoughts of carrying on further to Bridlington but the wind was wafting the noise of the funfair my way and I decided my ears didn’t want to get any closer to that so I did a “U” turn and headed back towards Danes Dyke along the coast path (The Headlands Way).  Every now and again I peeped over the cliff top:  

It was lovely to see so many people out enjoying the day.  

I headed back down those steep and wonky steps at Danes Dyke and perched on a large pebble for a Brew With A View moment:  

Smashing.  Can’t beat it.  The sun on my face and the wind non-existent seeing as it was coming off the land (unusual for this time of year) I just sat with my cuppa and people-watched  :)  

I made a rash decision there and then to walk to South Landing on the beach, rather than head up the other side of the cliffs via some more steep and wonky steps.  1.5 miles of trying not to slip on seaweed-y rocks whilst navigating rock pools, avoiding getting too close to the sea and trying not to spend too long walking on the chalky boulder-y bits was probably a lot tougher than just walking up the flippin’ steps  :D   Having said that, I wouldn’t have seen the gulls nesting in the cliffs or the Oystercatcher searching for its dinner:  

Nor would I have been able to get an arty-farty pic of some Limpets:  

A couple more stormy high tides and this WW2 pillbox will be on the beach:  

Eventually I got to South Landing for snack stop number 3 - a banana – before heading up the Lifeboat Launch and road for the final walk along the pavement (and a good nosey in everyone’s houses!) and back to my car.  

A really lovely, leisurely 5.5 mile walk in the sunshine.  

…. And my new rucksack passed the test with flying colours  O0  

Thanks for reading.  

Mel  :)  

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
Enjoyed that, Mel    :)    Lovely coastal scenery

I like walking on beaches below cliffs and although the rocks are hard work it's worth it for the views you get of the cliffs from the shore, and interesting to see the effects of coastal erosion.

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
Nice walk Mel and lovely photos too  O0
***Happiness is only a smile away***

adalard

• Veteran Member
Wow, looks almost like a summer day, Mel! Really enjoyed the report - we're moving house in a few weeks so I haven't been able to get out anywhere walking recently - and those beaches and beautiful cliffs look wonderful. I almost wish I was moving to the coast instead of further inland now!  ;D

I like the "brew with a view" and limpet shots especially - nice of them to agree to pose for you  ;)  - but all the photos are lovely.

pleb

• Veteran Member
Nice O0
I sat on that pill box last summer. It didn't fall off!
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

Mel

• Veteran Member
Dovegirl - Cheers.  I'm quite wary about walking on the beach around there cos it's too easy to get cut off by the tide but the tide was out and going out further so it seemed safe enough.

Sunnydale - cheers. It was a lovely, much needed walk.

Adalard - thanks. It might have looked like a summer day but it didn't feel it up on the clifftops! Good luck with the house move.

Pleb - thanks.  There's nowt on yer so no wonder it didn't budge!

dittzzy

• Veteran Member
I like the "brew with a view" and limpet shots especially - nice of them to agree to pose for you  ;)  - but all the photos are lovely.

Me too.  Lovely pics Mel, it looks gorgeous.  Well worth the extra leg work to get across that beach I reckon.   O0 O0

Mel

• Veteran Member
Definitely a good leg workout dittzzy  :D  cheers.

Innominate Man

• Veteran Member
I've just found this - but very glad I did. Lovely report & photos Mel  ;)
I find find beach walking so relaxing, watching the sea rolling in, or out and on days like that with blue skies - you can't help but let your mind wander. With the sound of the waves I'd easily fall asleep if I wasn't walking.

Only a hill but all of life to me, up there between the sunset and the sea. 
Geoffrey Winthrop Young

Jac

• Veteran Member
Coincidentaly I've only just found this too. A lovely TR and photos, particularly the beautifully rounded chalk boulders.
I think the nesting gull is actually a fulmar.
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy