Author Topic: Carrying a Mobile  (Read 2481 times)

louise14

Carrying a Mobile
« on: 17:23:20, 22/02/17 »
Hi, I've only done a very little bit of walking, but have always found it annoying trying to keep my phone safe/dry but still easily accessible. So as student I've started doing a project on this, trying to designing a phone bag/case that is strong, water tight and can be kept to hand.

So far I've been looking at a case that either slides or 'pops' open that could be attached to a shoulder strap as I've seen little bags you can attach to rucksack straps, however I've never actually tried using one and was wondering if they might actually be quite uncomfortable/hard to get into and if it might be better to have something attached to the waist belt? Any thoughts or ideas about this would be really greatly appreciated!

Ridge

• Veteran Member
Re: Carrying a Mobile
« Reply #1 on: 17:37:22, 22/02/17 »
Hi

I have a tiny dry sack which my phone lives in when I am out walking. It is almost always turned off so it being accessible is not an issue.

Glyno

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 18:07:54, 22/02/17 »
Hi Louise

I'd go for something like this ---> https://www.ortlieb.com/en/Document%20Bag/

Totally waterproof and you can use your phone without removing it. Just carry it in your rucksack or jacket pocket.
Just my opinion, but I find things attached to or dangling from rucksack straps can be annoying.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 18:45:07, 22/02/17 »
Yes, I bought a phone bag, only £4.99. Its design fault is that the top and bottom of the bag is solid black so my on screen controls get obscured. I will buy another, this type totally clear, that'll work! The issue for me is not the bag, its the carry system! I do not want a lace around my neck, I want a soft supple neck strap shaped to cause minimum chaffing and can be snapped on and off easily.

While you are at it, could you please design a pair of instant snap-on hiking gaiters please. No zips, no studs that need clicking together, lugs to grip the laces and no under the boot laces or straps.

Good luck with your project.

DK

« Reply #4 on: 18:57:07, 22/02/17 »
Lots of waterproof phone bags/cases out there and I like a rucksack with pockets on the waist straps to keep a phone in and handy. Good luck in coming up with something innovative, O0
We weren't born to just pay bills and die...

SplanK

« Reply #5 on: 19:16:40, 22/02/17 »
To be honest, I have been using Asda's [other brands available  :D] blue food bags during my urban walks.  Granted not the best you can get but not had a single issue yet.  Saying that, I have been lucky in terms of timing and down pours and only light or 'normal' showers.

For some reason which I have yet to figure out, I can even use the phone though the bag as well!

A Ziplock bag would be better upgrade, and I have a bunch of anti-static bags from computer components in my day pack just in case.....

louise14

« Reply #6 on: 20:17:18, 22/02/17 »
Thanks for all the replies! Some really helpful points that I hadn't thought of  :)

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 21:33:57, 22/02/17 »
Aquapac make phone bags but failing that a supermarket ziploc sandwich bag will do the trick
Solvitur Ambulando

MikeW

« Reply #8 on: 22:25:04, 22/02/17 »
More and more phones are waterproof, dust proof, shock proof etc. and for less money as time goes by.
in a few years time they will all be and cases (where still used) will be purely decorative.

Glyno

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 06:59:00, 23/02/17 »
More and more phones are waterproof, dust proof, shock proof etc. and for less money as time goes by.
in a few years time they will all be and cases (where still used) will be purely decorative.

I agree.

I actually have a Sony Xperia which is waterproof (reputedly) so I don't fret over it getting wet as such. I do however, carry it in a cheap neoprene pouch that I got off ebay for about 2 quid just to guard against knocks and drops.

midweekmountain

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 08:07:14, 23/02/17 »
I always put my essentials, toilet paper, wallet and phone, in an old plastic bread bag in my pack. Have been doing this for decades and never had any soggy bog roll.

AND

Each plastic bag comes with a free loaf of bread............win, win.

Percy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 08:45:56, 23/02/17 »
I always put my essentials, toilet paper, wallet and phone, in an old plastic bread bag in my pack. Have been doing this for decades and never had any soggy bog roll.
All well and good but how many times have you got crumbs all over your a**e?

phil1960

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 09:45:28, 23/02/17 »
All well and good but how many times have you got crumbs all over your a**e?
  :2funny:  Now that's funny, seriously though having met MWM once and knowing how frugal climbers are, I bet he would have a use for those crumbs, right Stu?  ;D
Touching from a distance, further all the time.

Glyno

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 10:30:36, 23/02/17 »
He certainly uses his loaf!

Percy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 10:33:54, 23/02/17 »
Perhaps we should propose a toast.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy