Author Topic: Camera Memory  (Read 3704 times)

Whitby Mick

Camera Memory
« on: 06:46:14, 24/02/17 »
I am doing the West Highland Way later this year and naturally I intend to take lots of photos. However this time, as well as photos, I intend to use the video thing on my camera for a change. Can anyone advise me what size SD card I am likely to need for say 6 days of walking.
Retirement is like owning an old car, you must get as many miles as you can from it before it breaks down forever.

www.our-coast-to-coast.weebly.com

Bhod

• Veteran Member
Re: Camera Memory
« Reply #1 on: 06:51:30, 24/02/17 »
Rather than one huge capacity sd card I'd suggest taking two or three smaller capacity ones, you' be gutted to have used only one card to find that the data is corrupted and you've lost all your photos/video.  I'd suggest 3 x 16GB or maybe 2 x 32GB, I peronally wouldn't go above 32GB.
I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake.

Whitby Mick

« Reply #2 on: 07:29:16, 24/02/17 »
Rather than one huge capacity sd card I'd suggest taking two or three smaller capacity ones, you' be gutted to have used only one card to find that the data is corrupted and you've lost all your photos/video.  I'd suggest 3 x 16GB or maybe 2 x 32GB, I peronally wouldn't go above 32GB.

Thanks for that Bhod. To be honest I hadnt thought of that
Retirement is like owning an old car, you must get as many miles as you can from it before it breaks down forever.

route2rock

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 08:48:59, 24/02/17 »
What type of camera do you have?

Every camera will use different amounts of memory depending on the quality of the video/pictures.

If you aren't sure,  try recording 30 seconds footage and look to see how big the file is.

Some cameras will count down the time you can continue to record, so a quick trial will also tell you.

I would also recommend taking multiple cards.
Find out what I've been up to @ http://www.instagram.com/route2rock :)

Hillhiker1

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 14:11:02, 24/02/17 »
Also, if you're taking video, make sure you get a class 10 card, anything less won't write fast enough for video.
Personally I'd go for 32Gb Sandisk "Ultra" or "Extreme"s. I think they're about 12 quid on Amazon

MikeW

« Reply #5 on: 17:28:12, 24/02/17 »
Also, if you're taking video, make sure you get a class 10 card, anything less won't write fast enough for video.
Personally I'd go for 32Gb Sandisk "Ultra" or "Extreme"s. I think they're about 12 quid on Amazon

Seconded.
Bought a couple of 32Gb Sandisk "Ultra"s off Ebay a few months back for storing maps, and taking pictures and video on the phone. About £10 each. Working very well so far.

uncled8249

« Reply #6 on: 19:04:40, 24/02/17 »
Just take more than you think you will need, you will be gutted if you run out,  and if you have any left - no problem, you will
eventually use them.
I did the west highland way a few years back, if you wish to see my pics (a lot of them are people pics of our group), they may give you some idea.  http://www.uncled8249.co.uk/scotland2011.htm   I am sure I would have taken more if it hadn`t rained most of the time, indeed towards the end we were not allowed to camp but had to find some cabins and a hostel.  We finished the trip by walking up Ben Nevis - I can recomend it!  Take care,  Ed.

I'm Norfolk 'n good!    OTBC
more pics at www.flickr.com/uncled8249/albums

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 11:52:29, 25/02/17 »
Depending on your camera, spare batteries might be important. taking videos uses up much more battery than stills.
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

Whitby Mick

« Reply #8 on: 12:35:23, 25/02/17 »
Thanks for all your advice folks. I will order a couple of 32gb cards to go with those I am already using so I should have plenty of capacity, and as for battery life I have a couple of spares to take with me and will be able to recharge them at the B&Bs en route so I should be ok there too. Roll on June.

sparnel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 13:08:34, 25/02/17 »
Great read & photos Uncle D.........don't mean to hijak this thread. You were obviously with a group during your WHW walk.What does QD stand for??

uncled8249

« Reply #10 on: 15:05:30, 25/02/17 »
Lol  I believe QD is a retail chain.  I walked with DQ  Discovery Quest, a charity based in Norwich. part of Julian Housing, now Julian Support to help people with mental health issues to get out into the  fresh air,  and they certainly did!  Unfortunately they lost funding a few years ago, but I started a facebook page  XDQ and continued (still do) to walk most thursdays.  One of their managers still works with people on a different idea now and does similar walks, indeed they saw my requests for help to organise a walk to scafell and today offered me and some of the other xdq walkers a place.
I'm Norfolk 'n good!    OTBC
more pics at www.flickr.com/uncled8249/albums

sparnel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 17:24:29, 25/02/17 »
Thanks for the info........good luck with your continued charity work & walks!

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 18:11:09, 25/02/17 »
I use a 64Gb SanDisk Ultra micro sd card in my GoPro Hero 4.
There is simply no substitute for the amount of sd card memory available, buy the largest capacity card you can afford.
I take all my photographs in their RAW format, which swallows up huge amounts of internal memory.
Also, my camera takes video in 4K ultra hd, which is heavy on memory available.

Invest in a sd card with Hd 10 playback, and then buy the largest capacity card you can afford.

It's highly unlikely you will fill a sd card as large as 64Gb, but it is so annoying taking photographs on a small capacity card, and not having a spare card available.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 21:02:46, 25/02/17 »
Whitby Mick, you might find this link of interest:

http://www.whatdigitalcamera.com/buying-advice/understanding-memory-cards-9083

I discovered (the hard way), not all cameras can "recognise" high capacity memory cards.  My click and go camera (about 4 year old) can't cope with a 32GB card but is fine with a 16GB card. 

Hillhiker1

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 22:20:29, 25/02/17 »
Good article that Mel, Cheers.
It's also a good illustration of how fast technology matures these days; The article's just over a year old, but those cards are now a fraction of the cost quoted in it.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy