Author Topic: Easy shoes for around the camp?  (Read 2314 times)

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
Easy shoes for around the camp?
« on: 17:00:14, 26/02/17 »
When I hike I normally carry a pair of flip flops to wear when I pitch my tent at the end of the day. Do you use something else? I'm looking for something that is lightweight, dries easily, packs flat(ish) and is good enough to wear for a stroll from the site to the nearest pub. Any recommendations please?

motorlaunch

Re: Easy shoes for around the camp?
« Reply #1 on: 19:21:09, 26/02/17 »
I use a pair of beach shoes. They keep my feet warm when in the tent and provide security for crossing streams and rivers in Scotland. They are not too colourful and are quite acceptable in pubs or b&bs.

TinTin

« Reply #2 on: 12:48:05, 27/02/17 »

Hi-Tec Zuuk, on offer at the mo, I have black but not sure if still available.

http://www.hi-tec.co.uk/men/footwear/casual-shoes/zuuk-mens-lightweight-shoe-O002333.html

buzzard

« Reply #3 on: 15:00:46, 27/02/17 »
A second vote for neoprene beach shoes, some good prices on amazon.

Murphy

« Reply #4 on: 19:02:56, 27/02/17 »
Yes, I have had these Hi Tec neoprene shoes for a few years now.  They're really comfy, light and flexible and not expensive.  I have a bright pink pair and my partner has a black pair.  Highly recommended.

jj99

« Reply #5 on: 15:56:08, 11/03/17 »
Zuucs are pretty good, but lack grip. I prefer them to crocs because they have more substantial soles and stay attached to your feet when wading

MudMagnet

« Reply #6 on: 00:21:14, 12/03/17 »
The hi tecs are on offer in Go outdoors for £5 at the moment. Got a pair for my daughter today. Limited sizes though.

Stube

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 20:42:26, 12/03/17 »
Another vote for crocs - or at least their generic copies.

Almost as light as minimalinist foam flip-flops but much tougher. I've walked many a mile in mine going to the pub of an evening - or for wading streams. I became a convert after seeing a documentary about a man who walked the length of the Amazon in them.

Also they stay on my feet which flip=flops never do, as I have a large gap between my first and second toes.

They also do a reasonable of of keeping your socks dry in the early morning dew - even better if you put tape over the low front holes!!.

Doddy

« Reply #8 on: 21:55:26, 15/03/17 »
For long walks I go for Teva Barracuda sandals or Teva Hurricane sandals, the latter are a bit heavier but a better change to walk in if you have foot issues.

Percy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 22:55:03, 15/03/17 »
I have a pair of the Zuuks, they are very cheap and pack small but I've given up taking them. If I want comfy footwear for the evenings I take a pair of lightweight Nike trainers, they only weigh 300g and as shoes are so much better than the Zuuks.

Tomo

« Reply #10 on: 09:21:39, 17/03/17 »
Why not just find some footwear that's comfortable enough to wear all day instead of packing another pair for camp?

This is part of the reason why I no longer wear hiking boots when I go out into the mountains. No matter how comfortable my Salomon boots were at the start of the day, my feet were always hot and achey after 8+hours of hiking and I couldn't wait to get them off and put a pair of trainers on.

Now I just wear a pair of approach shoes all day (Keen Koven WP) and my feet thank me for it!

- Dave -

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 15:09:12, 17/03/17 »
I have a pair of Inov8 sandal things (can't remember their name). Not much use to you as the don't make them anymore but I picked mine up off eBay cheap.

They're ideal for around the campsite and they don't weigh much though not particularly package. +1 for flip flops as well
I'm on the internet!

Check out my blog here:

http://allthegearbutnoidea.blogspot.co.uk

214/214 Wainwrights

Glyno

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 15:46:53, 17/03/17 »
For years I swore I wouldn't be seen dead wearing a pair of Crocs. However, last summer I was persuaded to try a pair for an overnighter in a bothy - now I'm converted!
Ultra-lightweight, dry almost instantly, comfortable... and can be found very cheap in certain places (Sports Direct in my case).

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 17:51:18, 17/03/17 »
I picked my pair up, in TK Macs in llandudno, almost three years ago.
I only paid £15, which i thought was good value, and their very comfortable, even though their in fluorescent yellow.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 18:26:44, 17/03/17 »
I picked my pair up, in TK Macs in llandudno ...

Ah, Llandudno ... Brings back memories of a boy I knew there  O0
Where there's a will ...

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy