Author Topic: Advice request!  (Read 1365 times)

uruztiwaz

Advice request!
« on: 13:07:12, 27/02/17 »
Hi All,

So I'm new to the board and have just started to get back in to walking, both for fitness and for my sanity!

I've signed up for a 100km London to Brighton walk in May and am having a footwear issue.

My sturdy Scarpa's are lovely for long mountain/hill hikes as they give me great ankle support and comfort, but they're not cutting it for a speedy 'hike' on relatively flat terrain.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm looking for light, good grip but good ankle support too (I've rolled my right far to often in normal life not to give it a helping hand for long distance).

Many thanks
 :)

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
Re: Advice request!
« Reply #1 on: 13:13:46, 27/02/17 »
Welcome. So much choice out there. I've had two boots, excellent for walking comfort, Keen Targee 2's and Salomon Quests. The quests were better for ankle support.

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 14:11:44, 27/02/17 »
Forget the Scarpa boots, and invest in a comfortable pair of trainers, if your feet have motion control issues, then seek trainers with maximum cushioning and support.
I believe the London to Brighton route, if its exactly the same route as used by the vintage cars, then its all on road and tarmac.
62miles is a very long way, and the right footwear is vital for enjoyment and hopefully success on such a long challenge walk.

If the weather is warm and dry, which it can be in May, then you need your feet to be able to breathe, and remove as much road heat as possible.

Both those are impossible in boots, so high quality trainers that provide maximum cushioning to your feet and ankles, combined with very high quality socks.

1000m socks would be ideal, as their twin skinned, and provide the best comfort and support from inevitable blisters.

Years ago, i did venture past the 100k or 62miles distance, on several occasions, but never totally on a hard unforgiving surface.

If your still unsure, try walking 20miles in a pair of Scarpa boots, i can guarantee you will not enjoy the experience.

Boots are designed for off road, mountain terrain, and hitting the concrete for mile after mile, in cumbersome boots, is not advisable.

Remember your planning to walk a double marathon, plus another ten miles.

Good supporting trainers would be the best footwear for a demanding solid tarmac route, as your feet will enjoy the comfort, and your legs will not be carrying so much weight.

Take my word for it, once your body ventures past 40+miles on any terrain, fatigue sets in, and the more cumbersome your equipment, especially your footwear, the more tired you will become.

My last big challenge back in 1999, resulted in me pulling out at 78miles, totally spent, and i can remember the damn ruck sac and boots felt like lumps of concrete on your body.

« Last Edit: 14:29:45, 27/02/17 by Dyffryn Ardudwy »

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 15:36:26, 27/02/17 »
Ok, if you're still awake after reading ^^^^  :D :D :D

I looked at the walk website and it says the route is along paths over the North and South Downs so there won't be much traffic, it's NOT the same route as the car drive, despite what the above poster seems to think...

As the website says it can be walked or run, I'd recommend not using boots unless you want the extra weight on each foot for 100km, especially if wet. If it was me I'd go for either a good trail shoe or a pair of cushioned trainers if the weather is ok, with liner socks inside your normal socks to help prevent blisters  O0

Just make sure you get plenty of training done wearing your chosen boots and enjoy the day  O0
LDWs done - 32 in total including 16 National Trails and 3 C2C

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

tonyk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 16:37:37, 27/02/17 »
Trail running shoes would be best.If its anything like the road running route I did back in the eighties its quite tough with some hard climbs.I should imagine the route will make use of some of the quieter roads they used on the later London-Brighton running race.

Whilst some of the comments above sound horrific I wouldn't let them put you off.Ultra running/walking isn't a descent into the bowels of hell provided you prepare yourself properly for the event.

Bhod

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 09:45:19, 28/02/17 »
For that sort of distance on that sort of terrain my preference would be for something like the Salomon X Ultra range, forget the twin walled socks or even the two pair of socks, Compeed is your friend.  Go for a long walk before hand and find out where potential hotspots are going to appear on your feet, once identified you'll know to get the compeed on these before your walk.  Also would suggest carrying some compeed with you for any developments on the way and don't forget you'll need a couple of changes of socks over that sort of distance.
I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 09:58:21, 28/02/17 »
I have beautiful feet and my experience is different!   :)

When I first took up long distance hiking I bought a pair of Brasher's and had blisters galore! It was agonising and depressing and I spent a lot of money on Compeed and other brands. They didn't work for me, I still got blisters! My problem was solved when I moved from buying Brasher men's boots to Brasher woman's boots, that one move solved my problem overnight, plus of course I look after my feet every day, resting them, a bit of massage and changing my socks daily.

I've bought a couple of other brands as well, all woman's sizing and did not get blisters from them either.

The only time I got blisters is when I decided to change my Sorbothane inserts to Superfeet, in one day I got blisters on my heels, across a couple of toes and under one foot. Just my hard luck. I've gone back to my Sorbothane's and no further problems. I now use my Superfeet's in my off road running shoes and they work very well.

Percy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 10:06:15, 28/02/17 »
Everyone's different but I agree with Bhod. Compeed are not for putting on blisters - that's already too late. As Bhod says if you know potential problem spots   compeed them before setting out, failing that stop immediately you feel heat or rubbing, get your footwear off and stick one on. Don't wait until you have a blister.

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 10:41:28, 28/02/17 »
Only had them a short time but so far I'm very pleased with these;

https://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk/equipment-c3/footwear-c78/footwear-c159/roclite-286-gtx-p3406/s13889?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=inov8-roclite-286-gtx-colour-slate-black-size-uk-11-eu-45-5-colour-slate-black-size-uk-11-eu-45-5-aw14527slate-blackuk-11-eu-45-5&utm_campaign=product%2Blisting%2Bads&gclid=CJi-rojNstICFQefGwodv6sG5g

Very light just 297grms each against my Brashers which are a wearying 680 grms. Kept my feet dry on Dartmoor on sunday in driving rain though I didn't have to wade through actual puddles.
They are unisex but as I have fairly narrow feet they are more a ladies fit than a broad man's.
« Last Edit: 10:49:04, 28/02/17 by Jac »
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

uruztiwaz

« Reply #9 on: 21:55:29, 11/03/17 »
Thanks All! That's a lot of information to take onboard but I think I'm on it  :)

Dyffryn Ardudwy
I hear you. I did the Richmond to London Bridge walk in my Scarpa's they were fine just a bit heavy. I like the thought of the trainers and are giving mine a go tonight as going from Blackfriars to Richmond on a night training walk.

bricam2096
Cheers, I'm still trying different options but aiming to have my final choice bought by mid April at the latest.

tonyk/Bhod/gunwharfman/Jac
Thanks for the suggestions I'm going to see how the trainers work today and am thinking of getting my gait analysed before buying new shoes, have thought about the trail shoes but need to weigh up options, as I can only really afford to buy one new pair of shoes before the challenge!

gunwharfman/Percy
Ah... the dreaded blisters! I 'stick' to good old vaseline and zinc oxide tape on my heels. Although I do keep compeed with me just in case I get a burn starting in an unusual place. Nothing worse that getting half way and realising you've filled your boots with blisters/blood rather than good will  :o

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy