Author Topic: Hood elastic came away on my Montane Prism Jacket :-( What now?  (Read 2672 times)

Donnie

I bought this last july in the sale at go outdoors and have literally only worn it 6 or so times, even then only for going to the car park and back at work but today one of the elastics has undone from the inside of the hood :-(

Id understand if the coat had been given some abuse but it hasn't. heck its been hanging up and only had the tags removed last month.

So, do I go back to GO with the receipt and if so whats the score, i suppose that they will only refund me rather than replace?

ninthace

• Veteran Member
Go are usually pretty good if the jacket is under a year old. Why not ask them?
Solvitur Ambulando

Cairncamper

State the Consumer Rights Act and get a full refund.

You are  entitled to a full refund under the law, so don't get fobbed off by Go.

The item you bought is clearly not fit for purpose.

alewife

• Veteran Member
can you not stitch it back (not sure what function is, or how attached but if you like the jacket a repair is probably possible.
Alewife

...beware of the bull!

SplanK

Go have been good to me in the past with walking shoes which have not stood up to the abuse I have given them and never batted an eye lid.

Go in, explain the problem and the situation and explain what you would like.

Bhod

• Veteran Member
State the Consumer Rights Act and get a full refund.

You are  entitled to a full refund under the law, so don't get fobbed off by Go.

Sorry Cairncamper that's not true -

"This right is limited to 30 days from the date you buy your product. After 30 days you will not be legally entitled to a full refund if your item develops a fault, although some sellers may offer you an extended refund period. "

"If you discover the fault within the first six months from purchase, it is presumed to have been there since the time of purchase - unless the retailer can prove otherwise."

"After the first six months the burden is on you to prove that the product was faulty at the time of delivery. "

"If you are outside the 30-day right to reject, you  have to give the retailer one opportunity to repair or replace any goods or digital content which are of unsatisfactory quality, unfit for purpose or not as described. You can ask the retailer to repair or replace faulty goods but it can normally choose whichever would be cheapest or easier for it to do.
If the attempt at a repair or replacement is unsuccessful, you can then claim a refund or a price reduction if you wish to keep the product.
You're entitled to a full or partial refund instead of a repair or replacement if any of the following are true:
  • the cost of the repair or replacement is disproportionate to the value of the goods or digital content
  • a repair or replacement is impossible
  • a repair or replacement would cause you significant inconvenience
  • the repair would take an unreasonably long amount of time
  • If a repair or replacement is not possible, or the attempt at repair fails, or the first replacement also turns out to be defective, you have a further right to receive a refund of up to 100% of the price you paid or to reject the goods for a full refund.
    If you don't want a refund and still want your product repaired or replaced, you have the right to request the retailer makes further attempts at a repair or replacement."

The Consumer rights act can be found Here

As previously suggested, take the item back to GO and see what they offer.

I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake.

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
    Every item of clothing comes with at least a years manufacturing warranty, and ive dealt with Montane many years ago, and found them very helpful and friendly.
    Personally i would not go back to Go Outdoors, because their likely response would be that due to wear and tear your Prism jacket has suffered damage in regular use.
    Contact Montanes Customer Service.
    Montane will soon discover if you have been rough with your Prism jacket, and they may repair the item under warranty, or charge you a nominal amount for a repair.
    If the jacket had a manufacturing flaw from day one, they may even replace it.
    Contact Montane will be the best course of action, as most retailers will just contact Montane on your behalf, charge you the extra carriage cost of sending the jacket back, and possibly add a repair charge as well.

Contacting Montane direct, will more than likely get a more positive response, and hopefully cost you less money in the long run, as their the only ones who can issue you with a replacement Prism jacket, if it had a design flaw.

Donnie

Thanks all, I've decided to go to montane direct in the first instance as dealing with the muppets at Go just makes me want to not bother.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
    Thanks all, I've decided to go to montane direct in the first instance as dealing with the muppets at Go just makes me want to not bother.

Good luck with that. I took some 11 month old boots back to Go that had developed a sole defect after over several hundred miles in the Lakes and Pennines.  They did not quibbble but returned them to the manufacturer (Mammut IIRC) and gave me my money back.
    Solvitur Ambulando

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
    Back in 1992 i won a competition organised by Trail magazine, to think up of a particular piece of walking related news, that had been forgotten about or needed a mention in the press.
    In 1992, the Watkin Path up Snowdon, opened by the then Prime Minister William Gladstone, was celebrating its 100th anniversary, and nobody, especially the local North Wales press thought to give it a mention.
    In conjunction with Montane, i won a unique coloured Pertex top, that the design dept were using to test the feasibility of introducing a new model to their range.
    Ive never worn it, and still have the personal letter from the founder of the company.

Since then, Ive bought several Montane items of clothing, simply because their very high quality gear, sold at sensible prices.

It will be interesting to see how they handle the damage to your jacket, hopefully their customer service dept, will still be a very professional and friendly place to visit.

Murphy

Your contract is actually with the retailer - therefore the retailer is your first port of call.  I have to say I have never had any issues with retailers replacing, repairing or refunding on items which either don't work, have developed a fault or similar........So long as you have proof of purchase I reckon you shouldn't have a problem.  However, I have to say I don't shop at Go.......having experienced the "advice/knowledge" of the staff much prefer smaller independents but that's another thread....

JED

Glyno

• Veteran Member

you'll probably get your jacket back a lot quicker than going through Go Outdoors.

Mel

• Veteran Member
    Can you not just re-thread the elastic using a safety pin?  :-\

Donnie

you'll probably get your jacket back a lot quicker than going through Go Outdoors.
    Kinda my thoughts.  :(

Ive already had contact from customer services at montane, sent them photos and proof of purchase, theyve sent me via email a post free return label and will send it to them tomorrow.

Can you not just re-thread the elastic using a safety pin?  :-\

Probably could do and that was my initial thought however, theres no easy way to sew in the end of the elastic without going through the outer shell of the hood and Im a bit reluctant to do that?

pmerryman

• Veteran Member
    I had a watch with a 5 year warranty, and a problem occurred in year 4. Watch was taken back to point of purchase, who didn't want to know, as I hadn't taken their insurance out to cover such things.
    Each case is different, but I would always return to point of sale first.
    Paul

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy