Author Topic: Fan Dance / Brecon Beacons  (Read 3254 times)

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
Re: Fan Dance / Brecon Beacons
« Reply #15 on: 19:44:12, 07/03/17 »
The Fan Dance is a very gruelling 14 mile test of stamina, from opposite the Red phone box next to the Storrey Arms, to the summit of Pen Y fan via Corn Ddu, and then down the side of the mountain, by the Jacobs ladder route, following the Roman road below Cribyn"s summit, as far as the gap below Fan Y Big.

Once you have reached the Gap, you then turn around and return up the side of Pen Y Fan back to the phone box.

The only problem is that this is a timed race, so you have virtually no opportunity for a rest.

There are different classes, and every competitor has to carry a certain weight according to which race catergory their in.

The course is still used by the elite forces, especially SAS and Paras, who have just four hours to complete the race, in full combat gear.

I am not sure, but its possible this was the event that the two part time soldiers who died of heat stroke whilst trying to get selected for the SAS.

Now we know what it must have felt like, racing against the clock, in 80C heatwave conditions, in full battle dress, its no wonder they became seriously dehydrated, resulting in heat stroke and death.

On such a tough selection course, soldiers should be consuming some kind of liquid every few minutes, especially wearing totally unsuitable clothing for such weather.

As soon as you feel thirsty, your dehydrated, and the longer you go without replenishing lost body fluid, especially in 80C heat, the more critical it becomes.

There are far harder races in Wales, but its the continual climb with little time for rest that makes the Fan Dance a brutal event.

phil1960

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 19:51:11, 07/03/17 »
You don't turn around at the gap road, you continue to Torpantau station and then turn around  ;)
Touching from a distance, further all the time.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 19:58:12, 07/03/17 »
I am not sure, but its possible this was the event that the two part time soldiers who died of heat stroke whilst trying to get selected for the SAS.

Now we know what it must have felt like, racing against the clock, in 80C heatwave conditions, in full battle dress, its no wonder they became seriously dehydrated, resulting in heat stroke and death.

On such a tough selection course, soldiers should be consuming some kind of liquid every few minutes, especially wearing totally unsuitable clothing for such weather.

As soon as you feel thirsty, your dehydrated, and the longer you go without replenishing lost body fluid, especially in 80C heat, the more critical it becomes.

You really shouldn't try to second guess this, you're way off the mark.  And where on earth did 80C heat come from, or did you mean 80F?
Where there's a will ...

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 20:07:01, 07/03/17 »
What we do know about the sad death of these two soldiers, is that they were on the SAS selection course, and as the Fan Dance is amongst the most popular routes used by the elite forces, its quite possible this was the course being used that day, as the soldiers were in that very area when they they became casualties.
Blimey 80C, they would have been sizzled to a crisp in that kind of heat, 80F i should have said, either way, thats high summer weather, and not the ideal conditions for racing in several layers of heavy clothing, clothing that someone is not allowed to remove.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 20:24:07, 07/03/17 »
As I said, you were way off the mark and still are  ::)
Where there's a will ...

paddyposh

« Reply #20 on: 21:00:25, 07/03/17 »
Try Charnwood Forest in Leicestershire.I would recommend Newtown Linford carpark to the top of Old John,non stop with 40lbs and repeat three times.Would be about the equivalent of climbing Pen-y-Fan.

Tower block stairways are also good for training,provided they are free of drug addicts.

Thanks, I will take a look at that!

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 21:11:10, 07/03/17 »
Had a read of the web page earlier.  An interesting little Challenge.  On the face of it nothing appears that difficult.  But I guess when you add the elements together the total challenge is a fair one.  I quite like the idea of the minimum weight.  Being 17 stone plus myself, it would be fun to see the racing snakes carrying a little weigh,t up the side of a hill.  As for completing all that in four hours.  Now you got me on that one.  Explains what all the fell runners were doing up there when my son and I last walked Pen Y Fan too.  O0

paddyposh

« Reply #22 on: 09:15:06, 08/03/17 »
Had a read of the web page earlier.  An interesting little Challenge.  On the face of it nothing appears that difficult.  But I guess when you add the elements together the total challenge is a fair one.  I quite like the idea of the minimum weight.  Being 17 stone plus myself, it would be fun to see the racing snakes carrying a little weigh,t up the side of a hill.  As for completing all that in four hours.  Now you got me on that one.  Explains what all the fell runners were doing up there when my son and I last walked Pen Y Fan too.  O0

Very interesting indeed.

The fell runners are a danger to themselves lol.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy