Author Topic: National 3 Peaks with respect to Scafell Pike.  (Read 1994 times)

PeakerBoo

National 3 Peaks with respect to Scafell Pike.
« on: 12:07:25, 23/03/17 »
First post from newbie forum member.

Hi Guys.

I’ve created an account really to get some advice on our forth coming National 3 Peaks Challenge in respect of Scafell Pike. I would like to ask whether you believe there is advantage to be had by starting our climb from Seathwaite (using the corridor route) rather than Wasdale and after the summit returning to either Seathwaite (corridor route) or Wasdale. We have a dedicated driver that can make the journey to Wasdale whilst we walk if that’s what we decide. We will be walking to Scafell Pike in daylight hours late in the day. We do understand the pitfalls of letting our bus go and not being able to contact the driver with poor phone signals.

Thank you in advance for your comments. 

Also, having read a lot about the damage of challenge/charity events to the mountains and the consequences of ill prepared walkers I’d like to say that we are a group of hikers that have enjoyed the hills for a number of years. We understand our way around a map and compass and have lots of experience navigating in poor weather and poor visibility. We are a small group of six hikers aged about 50 years old who are all (hill) fit and active for our ages.

Whilst we are happy and pleased to be able to support our charity walking the N3P’s its fair to say that we are doing the climb for ourselves first. We understand that the Lake District will commercially earn nothing from us during our 24 hour challenge but we are intending on making 2 preparatory trips to the Scafell Pike area and we will be staying local and indeed putting a little money back into the economy before the challenge.

Thanks again

PeakerBoo

dinger

Re: National 3 Peaks with respect to Scafell Pike.
« Reply #1 on: 20:17:20, 23/03/17 »

We did it last April, and Scafell pike in the evening. We parked at wasdale and came back the same way it makes it much easier then coming back a different route I would think especially if your doing it in the 24hours your driver needs to rest and not be driving to another destination to collect you from.
That's my personal opinion anyway.

PeakerBoo

« Reply #2 on: 21:16:23, 23/03/17 »
Thanks Dinger, much appreciated. Can anyone offer a view that might have done this from Seathwaite?

MarkT

« Reply #3 on: 22:09:11, 23/03/17 »
I've done the route from Seatwaite but not from Wasdale, although stayed there.

I think the major factor of this is your time restraint of 24hrs.  From Wasdale is definitely the quickest way.  I don't know for definate but I believe from Wasdale is approx 2 hours quicker, it's a more direct route.  If you do have a couple of extra hours then I do recommend via the corridor route, good views and if weather turns the route is almost signposted! But probably the same if returning to Wasdale.

I agree as above that getting your driver to pick you up from a different spot isn't a good idea.  Worse can scenario you have to head back then he's gone.

Seatwaite parking is free, Wasdale isn't.  No phone signal in Wasdale, not even wi-fi at the pub! Probably none at Seatwaite but didn't check.

Good luck with your challenge

PeakerBoo

« Reply #4 on: 22:28:53, 23/03/17 »
Thanks MarkT. Appreciate you taking the time to comment.

Skip

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 19:55:46, 28/03/17 »
...we are intending on making 2 preparatory trips to the Scafell Pike area ...

There's your answer. Take the driver you'll be using and do a dry-run of the split routes idea. The driver can familiarise him/herself with the road journey from Seathwaite Farm to Wasdale Head (a surprisingly long way) while you familiarise yourself with walking both the Corridor and the Tourist (Wasdale) routes.

... we will be staying local and indeed putting a little money back into the economy before the challenge.
Good to hear.

Skip

PeakerBoo

« Reply #6 on: 09:33:04, 30/03/17 »
Thank you Skip. It does sound pretty obvious to take the driver and do a 'dry run' of the Seathwaite to Wasdale route but as all the hikers will be attending in cars for any dry run days rather than the minibus we have arranged for the national challenge then this becomes somewhat impractical. Hence we're asking the advice of people that know the area and the route.

We do have 2 prep trips planned and therefore can do Wasdale return, Seathwaite return but there is still Seathwaite to Wasdale to consider and I also wondered if readers may have a view on Grains Gill as an option rather than Styhead Tarn as the preferred route.

We have done endurance hikes before and therefore an option might be to dry run Seathwaite/Pike summit/Wasdale and return to Seathwaite but that's a long hike on the back of a useful commute to the Lakes.

Thanks anyway Skip  :)    

Sarah Pitht

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 11:30:19, 01/04/17 »
Grains Gill is pretty much the tourist route from Seathwaite up towards Esk House. So If my memory serves me correctly, the Grains Gill path is more paved and better underfoot that going via Styhead. So generally faster going. I'd estimate it might be slightly shorter too. Happy to be corrected if my memory is failing me!

PeakerBoo

« Reply #8 on: 15:08:39, 01/04/17 »
Thanks Sarah. I think that might be our first prep route. Maybe up Grains Gill to the summit returning via corridor route. Whether it's the route for our National challenge we'll see but Im sure it will make for an amazing first trip to the Lakes. Thanks again 😁

Sarah Pitht

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 15:18:33, 01/04/17 »
If you weren't on a timetable, I would suggest Seathwaite - TaylorGill Force - Sty Head Tarn - Corridor Route. We made the final ascent up the scree between Broad Crag and dropping crag. But you can go on to Lingmell Col.

Then I would descend to Esk Hause - Grains Gill-Stockley Bridge for the easier route underfoot when legs are tired.

If you ascend via Grains Gill, make sure you turn left after crossing Stockley Bridge or you'll end up at Sty Head anyway. My son made that mistake one day when going from Seathwaite and we were going from Wasdale and we met him for lunch on Scafell Pike!!

PeakerBoo

« Reply #10 on: 15:24:42, 01/04/17 »
Got that Sarah, thanks

Skip

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 10:45:06, 02/04/17 »
Wot Sarah says.

Those two routes from Seathwaite Farm  to the Pike are pretty evenly balanced. Via Grains Gill, Esk House and Broad Crage is a little  over four miles and involves accumulated ascent of 2970 feet whereas via Styhead Tarn and the Corridor it's four-and-a-quarter miles but only involves 2900 feet. That gives a calculation of about 2hours 50 mins by either route.

The going underfoot is similar (though perhaps a bit easier via Esk Hause than via the Corridor) and both routes are fairly straightforward to nav (although Esk Hause can be confusing).

A circular is a good idea, up one way, down the other. Personally I'd go up via the Corridor and down via Esk Hause. 

If you ascend via Grains Gill, make sure you turn left after crossing Stockley Bridge or you'll end up at Sty Head anyway.
Yes, that's a very good point - the routes diverge immediately after you cross the bridge.
Skip

PeakerBoo

« Reply #12 on: 12:33:07, 03/04/17 »
Thanks everyone, some really useful stuff to consider  O0 . We're up to the Lakes early next month, really excited about the Scafell Pike trek! Has anyone done the Seathwaite / Scafell Pike / Wasdale route as part of the national three peaks and did they gain advantage by doing this? Or maybe it was a hindrance?

Thank you all for your help

Skip

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 14:15:31, 03/04/17 »
Has anyone done the Seathwaite / Scafell Pike / Wasdale route as part of the national three peaks and did they gain advantage by doing this?

Sorry if I've missed something but are you intending to do all three within 24 hours?

If so, I'd suggest you walk the shortest (and quickest) route which is from the roadside at Brackenclose (near Wasdale Head) via Hollow Stones and Lingmell Col to the summit.

Apart from the walking time, starting from one valley and finishing in the other means extra driving when the driver would be better off resting.
Skip

PeakerBoo

« Reply #14 on: 14:49:11, 03/04/17 »
Hi Skip. Yes, we're doing the challenge in 24 hours. We'll be doing a second prep trip to the Lakes to do the Wasdale/return route also. Thanks again. 

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy