Author Topic: Head torch recommendations please  (Read 3918 times)

oczo81

Re: Head torch recommendations please
« Reply #15 on: 14:54:33, 29/03/17 »
I went for the Coleman CXP+ 200. The price is good IMO and I`m really happy with it. It`s got a few modes, doesn`t weigh a tone and I like that it it`s easy on batteries. It lasts a long time. [size=21px !important]

Charlieslater

« Reply #16 on: 19:30:52, 29/03/17 »

I have a LED lenzer, great headlight but major issue for me is that the rear red light cannot be turned off against accidental switching on like you can the main light. Unless you undo the back and isolate a battery it often turns on in my pack and runs out of power. Black Diamond as a spare, Prtezl as a last back up. Before you laugh at my OCD I needed all three on Scarfell in the clag a couple of months ago getting some ill equipped (although good for the car park) walkers off after dark.
53 years old=only 4 more world cups/Olympic games.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 22:41:29, 30/03/17 »
I have a LED lenzer, great headlight but major issue for me is that the rear red light cannot be turned off against accidental switching on like you can the main light.

Maybe yours is faulty or it may be model dependent ... mine is locked when the main light is locked.
Where there's a will ...

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 17:17:28, 31/03/17 »

I bought this one last Year.  I have used it a couple of times. It's more than bright enough for me on the low setting.  Seems to last for ages  I haven't actually recharged it since the first charge last year. (Note to self, Recharge head torch)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01CEI5N3E?ref_=ams_ad_dp_asin_1

Thoroughly recommended O0

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 19:26:02, 31/03/17 »
I like the look and price of this one. Went to Amazon but have now hesitated, the want to charge postage or offer 'free' delivery to sign up for a 'months trial' of Amazon Prime. No way! Its either free or no deal in my book!

gary m

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 20:03:00, 02/04/17 »
i never buy from amazon anymore nearly everything i bought was from them but no more, i have a black diamond head torch and love it
you have 1 life live it

Mike-OS

« Reply #21 on: 10:47:26, 03/04/17 »
This is a good head light for the money:
Black Diamond Spot 200 lumen
https://www.decathlon.co.uk/spot-headlamp-aluminium-id_8361255.html [nofollow]

Reduced to £19.99 at Decathlon

Donnie

« Reply #22 on: 11:04:09, 03/04/17 »
I bought the Energizer Vision HD+ Focus about a year ago. Works fine and is very bright:
- it has red leds which is something I really like. Good for night vision and a lot less disturbing if you are using in a hostel.
- it doesn't focus as suggested. The "focus" feature allows you to have a preset beam setting on the second button. I use this for a low brightness setting.
Worth trying as you can get for less than £10 - you can always use as a back-up.

Here it is from 7dayshop - £9.09 inc P&P: https://www.7dayshop.com/products/energizer-vision-hd-focus-headlight-with-3-x-aaa-energizer-max-batteries-included-wh2-e300280700

Well even though I already have a petzl tikka xp I thought at less than a tenner Ill give this a go, if nothing else I can use the 3 included batteries.
Its just arrived and boy is it bright! Obviously not used it side by side with the petzl in the dark, plus it does feel cheaper, but for a tenner it's a much much better head torch than expected! Oh, and a max of 300 lumens!

Donnie

« Reply #23 on: 09:56:07, 04/04/17 »
Hmmmm tried it last night in the garden only and pretty good but there is one issue. The bottom of the light on my forehead is designed in such a way that part of it is still transparent, therefore there is a stupidly bright white light in your visual field, very annoying so the only way to sort that will be block it with some black electrical tape. Poorly designed for sure.

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 18:47:24, 05/04/17 »
is that not heavy with 3xAA batteries stuck to your fore head?

Donnie

« Reply #25 on: 20:49:41, 07/04/17 »
is that not heavy with 3xAA batteries stuck to your fore head?

aaa x 3 but no its not actually the straps quite good. The petzl is the same, ie 3 x aaa

Donnie

« Reply #26 on: 10:19:56, 08/04/17 »
So, revising my previous "review"
Hmmmm tried it last night in the garden only and pretty good but there is one issue. The bottom of the light on my forehead is designed in such a way that part of it is still transparent, therefore there is a stupidly bright white light in your visual field, very annoying so the only way to sort that will be block it with some black electrical tape. Poorly designed for sure.

to

It's pretty naff to be honest. I tried it last night on a bit of a ramble locally and the design really does leave a lot to be desired when compared to my petzl. No matter what i do it seems to cause a glare and affect my vision in front, plus adjusting the angle of the light on it's hinge it basically ends up being a two handed job or you pull it off your head. wheras the petzl is a firm but more refined motion and no issues with the glaring. so it's going in the shed.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy