Author Topic: Looking for a day hike  (Read 2203 times)

American Dave

Looking for a day hike
« on: 21:15:15, 25/03/17 »

Hello all!

I will be visiting Manchester in June for work, and I will have free time available while I am there. I am very interested in taking a day hike in the Peak District. This is my first ever visit to the UK, so I am not familiar with the area. It seems like from my online research, I could pretty much pick any place and just start walking, and it would be worthwhile, but I am seeking recommendations anyway.

I will not have a rental car, so I would like something accessible from the train from Manchester. I am also unfortunately not in as good of shape as I once was, so the longest, most strenuous hikes are probably not advisable. I would say something in the 6 to 8 mile range with moderate climbing or scrambling.

Obviously, I am also seeking the most reward for my effort, so good views and good pubs are a must.

Lastly, if there are any individuals or groups who would be willing or interested in joining me, I would absolutely love local experience and companionship. (as long as we are all comfortable that nobody is an internet stalker, LOL)

Thanks!
Dave

John Walker

Re: Looking for a day hike
« Reply #1 on: 21:40:23, 25/03/17 »
Hi Dave,  and welcome to the Walking Forum

Travelling from Manchester by train the obvious Peak District starting /ending point for great walks is Edale.  It's the start of the Pennine Way (not really relevant here) but also has two good pubs and several shortish walks which start right from the village centre. The train from Manchester Piccadilly takes only 45 mins (although the service is only 2 hourly).  You can find lots of great walks in this section of the Forum from people who know much more about the Peak District than me.  But I'm not in great shape either so maybe my Peak walks may be suitable? (see links from www.greenlives.org.uk/Peakwalk.html for a list of about 5 different  walks which start from Edale).  You're going to get lots of other great suggestions from Forum members and I think you'll have too many to choose from.

Best Wishes

John
http://www.greenlives.org.uk/walk.html
National Trails completed: SWCP, Thames, SDW and NDW

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 12:15:20, 26/03/17 »
I agree with John Walker, Edale is so easy to get to, a short stroll from the train station and bingo, off you go!

American Dave

« Reply #3 on: 14:25:14, 26/03/17 »
Thanks guys! Edale indeed looks like a fantastic base point for the day. There's even a couple places to stay if I desire. The train schedule from Manchester is actually hourly, and only costs £12!

Anyone else with ideas or contributions, please respond!

Dazza

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 18:47:12, 26/03/17 »
Take a look at some of the trip reports in this section for walks, lots of options there.

From Edale if it's been dry a walk up grindbrook clough (left fork), around the edge and down Jacobs Ladder is a fine walk. I've taken newbies up this route and whilst it looks really challenging (one of them was really scared) it actually isn't. So yo get a good sense of reward. It can be challenging to navigate if the weather is poor or it's especially muddy though.

Easiest Navigiation wise and still excellent is the opposite side of the valley. Up the Chapel Gate track, Rushup Edge then walk along the ridge to Lose Hill. Back track and come down via Hollins Cross. You pass Hollins Cross on the way to Lose Hill so you can break the walk here as well.

This cover part of the route  to Chapel Gate, but there are plenty of other reports on the forum for around Edale:

http://www.walkingforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=4164.0

I must start doing trip reports again.
Dazza
--------
These boots were made for walking so that's just what I'll do. After I've re-proofed them of course...

Steve922

« Reply #5 on: 22:51:24, 26/03/17 »
Dave, if you decide on an Edale/Kinder Scout ramble, you're looking at some history of Walking in this Country. Edale is the start of the Pennine Way, our first and most popular long-distance footpath (the other end being just over the Scottish border so the whole route might be a bit much for a day-walk!)  Also, google 'Kinder Scout Mass Trespass 1932' which was the event which initiated our freedom to roam the hills. And eventually, our first National Park. 
    I'd recommend (from Edale) including the first mile or so of the Pennine Way ( so you can claim to have walked a bit of it) as far as Upper Booth then diverting up Crowden Clough to reach the Kinder Scoiut Plateau. This, IMHO is the finest route up onto the plateau, including some easy(ish) scrambling. Turn Right to go as far as Grindsbrrok Clough (the old Pennine Way route) and descend it back to the start. This is about 5 miles and very varied walking. You can extend it by trying to find the summit of Kinder Scout once up on the plateau. Its marked by an OS trig point and we have to take their word for it that its the highest point!  :-)
   TBH, from Edale station you'll find it difficult to wander anywhere boring within a few miles; there's good walking in every direction.

Realise that the Peak District is split into two parts; the Dark Peak and the White Peak. The Dark Peak is basically Gritstone, quite rugged  and consists mainly on the three hills, Kinder Scout, Bleaklow and Black Hill, the area's only ground about 2000 ft. and a lot of it is peat bog! The White Peak is mainly Limestone and its a bit bigger, a bit more accessible, a bit greener and a bit more gentle. I know little about it (despite it being in my back yard!)

I'd be happy to meet you in the area, chat and guide a little but I only ever walk alone, I'm afraid. And I've no idea what a 'good pub' would be :-)  We can maybe chat closer to the time.

pauldawes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 17:24:11, 27/03/17 »
Edale...of course...a good choice...for anybody based on Manchester.

One pleasant and easy way to get an overview of the terrain is to get on a Manchester to Sheffield train and and take in the scenery.

The fact that Hope Valley line runs the valley makes it possible to do linear walks through parts of the valley...you don't have to make your way back to point you started from. This makes for very flexible walking. (Hope Valley stations include Bredbury, Romiley, Marple, Strines, New Mills, Chinley, Edale, Hope, Bamford, Hathersage, Grindleford, Dore.)

Some one mentioned...for example...that train service to Edale is only once every two hours (with exception of Saturdays when its hourly). It can be better therefore to catch train to Edale and walk through to somewhere like Chinley where there are more frequent trains back to Manchester.

Hillhiker1

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 19:22:43, 27/03/17 »
You can extend it by trying to find the summit of Kinder Scout once up on the plateau. Its marked by an OS trig point and we have to take their word for it that its the highest point!  :-)

Steve / Dave, That trig point's not actually at the highest point. The high spot is at SK 08522 87527 and it's pretty tricky to find and easiest to access (IME) from from the Pym Chair area. (TBH it's not worth the effort though, the trig is a much nicer spot) The real summit sports a couple of rocks on a mound that's barely discernibly higher than the surrounding peat.

route2rock

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 09:52:03, 30/03/17 »
Hi Dave,
I'm local to the peak area, and would happily meet for the day for a walk depending on when it is.

As others have suggested, edale is a great start point and personally I would head up grindsbrook onto the edge of kinder scout, taking the edge to any other descent (depending on weather etc)

On a nice day, the views over edale Valley are amazing :)

What dates were you thinking?

P.S. I can also confirm I'm not an Internet stalker :D :D

« Last Edit: 09:55:36, 30/03/17 by route2rock »
Find out what I've been up to @ http://www.instagram.com/route2rock :)

American Dave

« Reply #9 on: 04:10:38, 04/04/17 »
Hi Dave,
I'm local to the peak area, and would happily meet for the day for a walk depending on when it is.

As others have suggested, edale is a great start point and personally I would head up grindsbrook onto the edge of kinder scout, taking the edge to any other descent (depending on weather etc)

On a nice day, the views over edale Valley are amazing :)

What dates were you thinking?

P.S. I can also confirm I'm not an Internet stalker :D :D

I have finalized my flight schedule. I arrive at MAN on Sunday 04/06 and depart Sunday 04/11.

My current thinking is to head straight to Edale from the airport on Sunday morning and stay there for one or two nights. I can take the train back to Manchester Monday evening or early Tuesday morning. I have that annoying thing called "work" on Tuesday, Wed and Thurs.

My wife is encouraging me to then head to London Fri morning for a day or two of sightseeing. My flight home is around noon on Sunday from MAN, but if I went to London, I would probably fly from there.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 06:25:21, 04/04/17 »
Thanks guys! Edale indeed looks like a fantastic base point for the day. There's even a couple places to stay if I desire.

If you stay I'd recommend http://www.ollerbrookbarn.co.uk/index.html

Good views from their bedrooms, comfy and well equipped rooms, great breakfast and only a five minute walk outside Edale.
Where there's a will ...

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy