Author Topic: Crowden Clough - with or without the dog?  (Read 2828 times)

PeakerBoo

Crowden Clough - with or without the dog?
« on: 12:00:34, 31/03/17 »
Hi Ladies and Gents

I've spent many many hours on Kinder Scout and the surrounding areas and love the walks there. However, I've never tried the Crowden Clough ascent from Upper Booth. Having read differing opinions on the scramble up there I wondered if anyone could advise if it's safe for me to take the dog. He's a springer and gets everywhere but I wouldn't forgive myself if he got hurt because I didn't choose my route wisely.

I look forward to your responses, thanks

PeakerBoo 

Mick wmexile

Re: Crowden Clough - with or without the dog?
« Reply #1 on: 15:40:08, 31/03/17 »
I would recommend NOT using Crowden Clough, Ive climbed Kinder by other cloughs including Grindsbrook, Jaggers, Red Brook, Fairbrook and William Clough. Any of those I mention I would say yes, go for it, there are easy ways to get round difficult bits. But if my memory of 2 years ago serves me correct, on Crowden Clough you hit a short but almost vertical rock face, the hardest way onto Kinder Ive come across. Maybe others may recommend it, just take care if you use it and being a dog owner myself look after the pooch, they don't know what danger is half the time. Enjoy your walk whatever  O0
I never get lost, just don't always know where I am!

PeakerBoo

« Reply #2 on: 15:53:21, 31/03/17 »
Thanks Mick. I've tried most of the others, and enjoyed them. Thanks for the 'heads up' about Crowden Clough

John Walker

« Reply #3 on: 16:04:26, 01/04/17 »
Hi

I would agree with Mick. I scrambled up Crowden Clough last May and found it 'challenging', climbing up the last stretch.  OK, I'm not great at scrambling but a young capable man ahead of us on the non-existent path also got into a lot of difficulty climbing the final rocks near the top of the Clough. Me and my OH saw this and then took to the very steep heather-covered sides of the valley to clamber up to reach the edge path (generally not recommended but seemed like the safer option).  Certainly wouldn't attempt this route up the rocks with a dog (although there are some pretty smart dogs around who might be able to help me with scrambling...)

http://www.greenlives.org.uk/Peakwalk2.html
http://www.greenlives.org.uk/walk.html
National Trails completed: SWCP, Thames, SDW and NDW

PeakerBoo

« Reply #4 on: 18:33:34, 01/04/17 »
Thanks John. I'm off to Kinder tomorrow and with the mutt I'll give Crowden a wide berth. I will have to tackle it in due course though.

Appreciate the comments guys.

harry_keogh

« Reply #5 on: 15:48:07, 02/04/17 »
isn't there a path that ascends on the left of Crowden Clough just before the difficulties start? Sure I saw a couple with a dog walking that way when I did it a few weeks back

Murphy

« Reply #6 on: 16:57:31, 02/04/17 »
I've done Crowden Clough with 2 dogs.  Needs a bit of care but didn't fine it a problem.

Mick wmexile

« Reply #7 on: 17:54:51, 02/04/17 »
Been up Kinder today going up Jaggers Clough and going across the southern edges. I took a good look when I reached Crowden Clough,
 and there is a distinct path on the west side of the clough, well before the steep scramble part. So yes, Harry is correct what he says, I saw quite a few people coming off this path at the top, and with no disrespect, there was no way some would have got up the scramble section. Looks like you can put it on your to do list now, have fun
 :)   

PeakerBoo

« Reply #8 on: 12:37:35, 03/04/17 »
Thanks everyone :) . I did Kinder yesterday and when I passed the top of Crowden Clough I saw the same as you Mick. Beautiful day yesterday albeit the tourist routes were somewhat busy!

Steve18566

« Reply #9 on: 09:01:40, 04/04/17 »
My partner and myself walked up Crowden Clough on Sunday.

We took the steep climb to the left before the scramble (probably us you saw) - very easy. My partner has serious worries crossing water, even when it's relatively shallow, and was very nervous crossing the water.

We were going to cross the plateau on the 7 minute crossing from Nether Tor, but completely missed it. Does anyone know the OS grid ref, or have a picture of the start please.

Thinking of Jaggers Clough on Sunday - how is that for scrambling (and for my partner, water!)

Also, the same questions for Gateside Clough, Blackden Brook, Ollerbrook Clough, Lady Booth Brook, Golden Clough

Planning our future adventures!

Any help much appreciated

Steve
« Last Edit: 09:30:59, 04/04/17 by Steve18566 »

PeakerBoo

« Reply #10 on: 10:14:47, 05/04/17 »

Hi Steve. What is the '7 minute crossing from Nether Tor'? Never heard of that!

I've crossed the plateau from Nether Tor (with the trig point about 500 yds to the right of me) to get to the north side of Kinder a number of times and I have to say that you have to take extreme care! Never go alone and if you sink (which you probably will) then one person won't be able to pull you free!!! You have to be prepared to turn back also and do the circular route instead. Best really to wait until it's been dry for a while.

Re Blackden Brook; I've only ever come down this route (4/5 times now) and this has been as part of a hike from Edale, across the plateau (or around it), down Blackden Brook across the snake pass and back up Alports Castle to return to Edale via Jaggers Clough. Blackden is very steep and hard terrain but lots of fun. There is no path at the highest point of Blackden and a long scramble across grass / heather etc. Some steep drops on the path when there is one! Well off the beaten track!

Mick wmexile

« Reply #11 on: 13:44:46, 05/04/17 »
My partner and myself walked up Crowden Clough on Sunday.

We took the steep climb to the left before the scramble (probably us you saw) - very easy. My partner has serious worries crossing water, even when it's relatively shallow, and was very nervous crossing the water.

We were going to cross the plateau on the 7 minute crossing from Nether Tor, but completely missed it. Does anyone know the OS grid ref, or have a picture of the start please.

Thinking of Jaggers Clough on Sunday - how is that for scrambling (and for my partner, water!)

Also, the same questions for Gateside Clough, Blackden Brook, Ollerbrook Clough, Lady Booth Brook, Golden Clough

Planning our future adventures!

Any help much appreciated

Steve
Ive now been up Jaggers Clough 3 times, the last one on sunday just gone, I don't find it too difficult, bearing in mind I'm now 66yo but reasonably fit. There is only a small ammount of scrambling, water is with you all the way up the clough, never deep but at times at the top end its easier to walk on the stream bed (with extra care of course).

Steve18566

« Reply #12 on: 13:53:06, 06/04/17 »
Thanks for the replies.

I've seen the 7 minute crossing mentioned several times. I think it's pretty much straight north from Nether Tor to east of Blackden Brook

PeakerBoo

« Reply #13 on: 14:50:11, 06/04/17 »
Hi Steve. I've done a little research on 'the 7 minute crossing' and it appears to be the western most side of Nether Tor on a north bearing (as it would be). I'm amazed if this can really be done in 7 minutes but I'm definitely going to try it in the coming month or so.

Happy hiking  :D

Steve18566

« Reply #14 on: 18:52:31, 11/04/17 »
Yes, me too!

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy